PDA

View Full Version : Don't you miss the good ol' days?

duckie
06-04-2008, 02:14 PM
This morning in my homeroom we were watching Pokemon because it's the last day of school and everyone was bored. I was so excited, because it was the totally old-school one, where there was Ash and Misty and Brock, and there were only 150 Pokemon. This girl was looking at me funny and was like "How old are you again?"

I'm still allowed to watch little kid's shows, right? There still awesome! :greenie:

So the question is: Is there anything you used to enjoy as a little kid (TV shows, movies, games, etc) that you still like now?

Blue Harvest
06-04-2008, 02:20 PM
I still watch pokemon and digimon (the latter on youtube because no english channels show it anymore) and I'm 22. The way I figure it, if you like something you shouldn't stop watching it because of age.

Sergeant Hartman
06-04-2008, 02:22 PM
I will always be able to watch Tom & Jerry and Looney Tunes.

Rantz
06-04-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm grown and mature and have no connections to my past. I don't think I even have a past, for that matter.

Flying Mullet
06-04-2008, 02:27 PM
I laugh when most people here talk about the "good old days" because they're young enough that they're still living in the good old days.

Rantz
06-04-2008, 02:33 PM
The good old days last, this is a little known fact, until you get your first child.

Levian
06-04-2008, 03:07 PM
NO

Raistlin
06-04-2008, 03:30 PM
I would totally buy up all the old Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons if I could find them on DVD and watch them forever and ever. I may have to try to download them at some point.

Peegee
06-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Dude I'm 28 years old.

pika chuuuu~

smittenkitten
06-04-2008, 04:23 PM
I watch cartoons all the time. :p I love the old school cartoons liek Pokémon, Transformers, Tom & Jerry, Loony Tunes and all the other old school cartoons. That'swhy Daniel pays for the cartoons channels on sky. :lol:

leader of mortals
06-04-2008, 04:37 PM
I still love tom and jerry :D

I also wish the good old looney toons were still on, but sadly they are not.

Cloudane
06-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Umm I'm 26, I don't think I'll ever grow out of computer games and anime and stuff :D

"You can make a man out of a boy, but you can't take the boy out of a man", or something.

The OP makes me sad though, I loved Pokemon in them days. Back when it was special, and had originality and character. Then they just turned it into one big advert for the games, and it's been repetitive trash ever since :(

Vyk
06-04-2008, 04:55 PM
I never watched it once the Indigo thing started. So I probably missed their bastardizations

I did enjoy the show, as corny as it was. And I wouldn't be ashamed to still watch it. But that's part of who I am. I thrive on nostalgia sometimes

I'm 26 too. And I'm one of the advocates that "They just don't make shows like they used to". The 80s was seriously the best time for cartoons. There are no kids shows that can compete with Voltron or TMNT and the like

And considering that its always the older the better. Old Pokemon > New Pokemon. Old Power Rangers > New Power Rangers. There's always been a slow delcine in quality of shows. Even newer shows fall down this path. I don't know what the execs and producers eventually get up their ass but they need to pull it out asap

rubah
06-04-2008, 06:13 PM
the original power rangers.

Hambone
06-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Sailor FUCKing Moon

Pokemon

Dexter's Lab

Marshall Banana
06-04-2008, 07:00 PM
I still watch the Gummi Bears' adventures and Disney movies all the time. TMNT was on TV the other day, and that was exciting; I wish I owned it on VHS, at least! I'd still watch the old TMNT series and the different Mario series, if I was able to!

smittenkitten
06-04-2008, 07:01 PM
the original power rangers.

Zomg yes I was the pink Ranger! ^__^

Balzac
06-04-2008, 08:05 PM
I don;t miss the Thatcher days. I do miss my old friend Tim.

duckie
06-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Sailor smurfing Moon

I practically worshipped Sailor Moon.

NeoCracker
06-04-2008, 09:28 PM
I still like Sailor Moon and Digimon. :p

Another is Beast Wars,(Which I'm currently downloading at a painstakingly slow rate.)

Rat Trap is singly my favorite Transformer ever.

Shoeberto
06-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I spend a lot of time looking up video games, movies and TV shows from my youth that I usually can barely remember the names of. I wonder sometimes if I'm becoming a manchild.

Deborah
06-04-2008, 09:38 PM
I still watch the Gummi Bears' adventures and Disney movies all the time. TMNT was on TV the other day, and that was exciting; I wish I owned it on VHS, at least! I'd still watch the old TMNT series and the different Mario series, if I was able to!

I have some TMNT on VHS!

Also I still love all Disney movies, and some other children's movies. I don't think I'll ever grow out of them. :kauberry:

Rocket Edge
06-04-2008, 11:14 PM
It annoys me how every kids show from way back is now churned out crap. For instance, early 90's TMNT was engaging when I was small and still is now. When I look at the new stuff i'm thinking that the guy's who make the new ones over elaborate on any weakness or strenght because they think thats how to make the show better, when really its that that makes it the same as every other kids stuff out there. The shows in the old days had personality, the new ones don't IMO.

Anyway, rant over. I'd still watch TMNT if its on, other than that nothing much really. :spin:

Goldenboko
06-04-2008, 11:24 PM
I will always be able to watch Tom & Jerry and Looney Tunes.

Cloudane
06-05-2008, 12:09 AM
The problem is the various cartoons etc start off all imaginative and such, but then they become a brand name. And brand names need to be kept alive at all costs. So they just churn out one cookie cutter episode after another once it gets to that stage, and use it as a method to sell merchandise.

What they should do is like many/most anime do: tell the story and then finish. Leave the viewer wanting more, rather than driving them to the point where they just want it to end, to leave a positive lasting impression. And it just spoils it when you become a loving fan of something like that and yet it eventually you have to stop watching because it's the same rubbish over and over and you can't stand it any more. You care about the characters but have to let them go without seeing any kind of ending etc.

Sure, if the cartoons had an end to them, then the brand name fades away and they won't sell the same merchandise for centuries to come, but then it paves the pay for new material and gives the producers a reputation of producing high quality stories that stick in your mind forever.

Star Trek and Pokemon are both examples of things that got dragged out to the extreme of milking the brand. I fear that our favourite Square Enix 'brand' is starting to get that way (FFVII comes to mind)

Vyk
06-05-2008, 06:06 AM
Retro Junk~ (http://www.retrojunk.com)

Jessweeee♪
06-05-2008, 06:15 AM
EVERY DAY IS A GOOD OLD DAY

Breine
06-05-2008, 12:49 PM
I still watch all kinds of cartoons. Some of them I enjoy more now than I used to, actually :) I'm a big kid, and proud of it.

Psychotic
06-05-2008, 02:40 PM
We already did this in the football thread a couple of weeks ago.

Lynx
06-05-2008, 03:44 PM
a few months ago i watched the first 50 episodes of digimon over a weeks time. also i enjoy the old pokemon sometimes including the 1st movie which me and my friend watched like a month ago.

i still love playing SNES and NES.

also every so often i bust out the legos and work on my ffVII airship that got destroyed years ago.

Obsidian
06-06-2008, 01:32 PM
I got into Transformers loooong after I should have, mainly because I had become a huge Gundam fan in my early teens.

General Tso
06-06-2008, 07:46 PM
I miss my Sailor Moon dolls.