PDA

View Full Version : PSP version >>>> Original version?

Vivisteiner
06-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Im wondering if this is true. I have only played the PSP version, and I must say that some of the cutscenes are absolutely phenomenally well done. They bring the story to life. As you can see, I changed the writing in my sig to show that. Although it sounds so much better than it reads of course.

And then you also get Balthier, my favourite fighter in the game. And the retranslation is really good. I saw a clip of the old translation and it looked pretty messy tbh.

Overall, it seems to show that small improvements can make a big difference.

Stuff like the cutscene in the Church and blades of grass are just so powerful...

Momiji
06-05-2008, 08:27 PM
I really want to see how the PSP version is. I enjoyed the Playstation game quite a bit, and I've heard nothing but good reviews for the PSP port. I don't have a PSP though.

However, you can't just go and say one version is so much better than the other, hands down, because you have to remember, there is almost a 10-year gap in between where FFT was released for the Playstation and the re-release last year-- of course there will be obvious improvements, or the gamers of today who expect flawless beautiful graphics and extra stuff won't play it.

Dreddz
06-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Its not significantly better but it has quicker load times, great cutscenes and a much crisper look due to the PSP's smaller screen. So definitely superior but your not losing out if you buy the PS1 version.

BG-57
06-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Generally I find that tweaking an established game will improve rather than diminish the experience. Certainly I approve of most of the changes including the jobs classes, dialogue, new characters, expanded party limits, new dungeons, and cooperative gameplay.

I do have some reservations about the PSP version including the way some items have to be acquired cooperatively and that teaching Zodiac is actually harder. So in a few ways the PSX version is still better.

Zeromus_X
06-05-2008, 11:12 PM
The only irk I have about the PSP version is how the game chokes whenever it has to go through a spell or even item animation, which really slows down the battles. But other than that small flaw, I'd have to say the new localization and content clearly make it the superior version.

Necronopticous
06-06-2008, 01:06 AM
The translation and exclusive animated cutscenes are beautiful. Unfortunately, the port itself is utter trash. Many throw off the technical shortcomings of The War of the Lions as minor issues, but I personally find them to be completely unacceptable, and I was not able to bear them for more than a few hours before ejecting the game and watching the additional cutscenes on YouTube.

Like the PSX ports of Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger before it, The War of the Lions is a game that is essentially ruined by careless conversion. There is absolutely no excuse for the technical issues plaguing literally every grueling minute of this port, especially from a developer as capable as Square-Enix--and especially when NIS America/Nippon Ichi can put out a PSP port of their Playstation 2 tactical RPG, Disgaea, that is formatted to take advantage of the PSP's hardware and screen, and runs absolutely perfect in every way.

Dreddz
06-06-2008, 05:59 PM
What exactly was unacceptable about this port? I noticed no technical problems with this game at all.

Vivisteiner
06-06-2008, 08:03 PM
I didnt notice any either. Then I read a review that mentioned slowdown. I played the game and I was like...'Oooh yeah!'. Still, it doesn't bother me at all. Its just a split second of delay.

Another great thing about the PSP version is that it is portable! (duh). So I can play it on a plain and watch the marvellous cutscenes as I step fresh off the boat.

Necronopticous
06-06-2008, 08:48 PM
The game is not formatted for the PSP at all. It lags immensely on every single battle action in the entire game, in a kind of game that is nothing but a huge series of battle actions, it's blurry as hell, and not even reformatted to take advantage of the PSP's nice screen and accompanying aspect ratio. Play the Disgaea port, and it will become very obvious to you just how terrible The War of the Lions is. As I said, there is absolutely no excuse.

Wolf Kanno
06-06-2008, 10:23 PM
There is noticeable slowdown in War of the Lions but I wouldn't say its as bad as you're making it out to be Necro. I mean the original had a bit for some of the more extravagant attacks but overall, I would say its acceptable. I mean to compare it the PSX port of Chrono Trigger is blowing this out of proportion a little imo. I agree its shoddy programming on SE's part but I feel the overall package outweighs the problems.

Overall, I felt it was fantastic, the cutscenes, the new translation, the extra missions and hidden secrets and props overall quality in terms of story, game mechanics, and presentation.

My only complaints are minor: The slowdown issue which has been addressed already, the attainment of certain high level gear being restricted exclusively to online play, and the removal of the spell/special technique chants in-battle. I really loved these little nuances and having it removed was a bit of a let down, but overall I still feel the overall package is quite good.

Vivisteiner
06-08-2008, 04:23 PM
The game is not formatted for the PSP at all. It lags immensely on every single battle action in the entire game, in a kind of game that is nothing but a huge series of battle actions, it's blurry as hell, and not even reformatted to take advantage of the PSP's nice screen and accompanying aspect ratio. Play the Disgaea port, and it will become very obvious to you just how terrible The War of the Lions is. As I said, there is absolutely no excuse.

How comes all the reviewers gave it really high marks then? I personally thought it was very minor indeed, and most people agree. Then again, Im not very sensitive to this kind of thing whereas you must be. Well, we're all different.

Ziekfried
06-14-2008, 08:51 AM
I actually hate what they did to the sound the most. Maybe other people are fine with crappy sound but some of the effects are just plain ridiculous. Really it doesn't make since to me that the sound is worse but it is. the slow down was disappointing but not ruining. And since the game failed to improve it's performance in any way but actually is worse I'd say overall it isn't a better game but about equal with the original.

Asch
06-26-2008, 12:20 PM
I don't quite think there's much to compare to the old version of the game besides having more stuff, much more graphical cutscenes, voiceovers, etc.

You get to play as Delita a few times (nothing big, just for a few literal minutes) and find out stuff that wasn't revealed in the original, but other than the aforementioned elements, it's really no different than the original besides the Excalibur and AP cheat being removed.

Though, I'd have to say I do prefer the PSP version to the PSX version. I loved finally being able to see my favourite characters from my favourite game in animation.

The scripting was also changed to fit a more Shakespeare type of feel as well, but it didn't bother me much.

Yar
06-26-2008, 04:15 PM
I pirated borrowed the PSP version last night.

I do enjoy the 16:9 presentation, along with the cutscenes, and the retranslation. But the lag in battles is really starting to get to me. :mad:

(Just a sidenote: The PSP versions of I & II aren't even worth "borrowing." Trust me.)

BG-57
06-26-2008, 05:24 PM
I found the Origins version of FFI-II on PSX enjoyable to play.

Necronopticous
06-27-2008, 06:40 PM
I do enjoy the 16:9 presentationThere is no such thing. All changes/additions made to the aspect ratio for the PSP were quick fakes. Only with the lowest standards could you call what War of the Lions does a "16:9 presentation."

Krelian
06-27-2008, 06:49 PM
I recently had the pleasure of testing the PSP version of FFT. I must say I really like the new cut scenes and the translation seems very good, too. But the port really is badly done. I can live with the stretched picture (at least, it looks stretched), but the slowdowns are getting annoying :/

Yar
06-30-2008, 01:38 AM
There is no such thing. All changes/additions made to the aspect ratio for the PSP were quick fakes. Only with the lowest standards could you call what War of the Lions does a "16:9 presentation."

But the game wasn't simply a 4:3 screen stretched to 16:9. I've played the PSX version on the PSP, and it stretches the screen much more than the PSP version. And the cutscenes are in widescreen.

The lag bothers the hell out of me.

Dreddz
06-30-2008, 03:33 PM
What the hell is up with everyone? The game is fully supported by the 16:9 ratio. I never thought the screen looked stretched.

Also you lot are making a bigger deal out of the lag than necessary. After maybe 2 hours with the game its hardly noticeable and doesnt ruin the game at all.

VeloZer0
07-01-2008, 04:54 PM
You are right, after a few hours the lag doesn't seem as painful, but the fact remains that it slows down the game considerably. When I feel compelled to watch TV at the same time I'm playing a game, I would call that a flawed mechanic.

Yar
07-01-2008, 07:39 PM
I find it absurd they could add all these movies and jobs and new things, but they're too lazy to fix a lag issue, even between the time it was released in Japan and North America. If the lag doesn't bother you, that's cool. But the fact is the lag annoys me every time I play, and I still notice it.

finalfantasyguy4ever
07-29-2008, 04:50 AM
cant beat portable!

Roogle
07-30-2008, 05:54 PM
I find it absurd they could add all these movies and jobs and new things, but they're too lazy to fix a lag issue, even between the time it was released in Japan and North America. If the lag doesn't bother you, that's cool. But the fact is the lag annoys me every time I play, and I still notice it.

I feel the same way about the technical limitations of the port. I wonder if the developers chose to overlook it because it adds more playing time to the game?

BB_blitz
08-22-2008, 07:29 AM
ok so ive never played the game on the psx so i cant compare but are we talking about like my counter casting regan and it takes a few seconds cuz i have noticed that

(btw im doing this post from my psp)

KoShiatar
08-22-2008, 09:57 AM
(Just a sidenote: The PSP versions of I & II aren't even worth "borrowing." Trust me.)
I wholeheartedly disagree.
If you own the PSX and GBA versions, you will probably find nothing really new in those games. But if you don't, and even more if you haven't played the games yet, the PSP version is THE version to go with. (No, Kishi! I really think it!)

NeoCracker
08-22-2008, 01:04 PM
What the hell is up with everyone? The game is fully supported by the 16:9 ratio. I never thought the screen looked stretched.

Also you lot are making a bigger deal out of the lag than necessary. After maybe 2 hours with the game its hardly noticeable and doesnt ruin the game at all.

This is a rare occurrence I fully agree with Dreddz. :p

ok so ive never played the game on the psx so i cant compare but are we talking about like my counter casting regan and it takes a few seconds cuz i have noticed that

(btw im doing this post from my psp)

The only real issue with Regenerate is the counter goes off EVERY TIME you are hit, which is an annoying problem with both versions.

Roogle
08-22-2008, 08:54 PM
The only real issue with Regenerate is the counter goes off EVERY TIME you are hit, which is an annoying problem with both versions.

Yes, but the lag time on Regenerate is more noticeable in the Playstation Portable version than the Playstation version. The lag in the port adds a notable length of time to gameplay due to all of the missed seconds, minutes, and hours spent because of the slower graphics in battle.

Wolf Kanno
08-22-2008, 09:05 PM

Yes, but the lag time on Regenerate is more noticeable in the Playstation Portable version than the Playstation version. The lag in the port adds a notable length of time to gameplay due to all of the missed seconds, minutes, and hours spent because of the slower graphics in battle.

My only comment is that Regenerate is a lousy Reaction ability anyway so I hardly see a problem with it suffering from lag...

NeoCracker
08-22-2008, 09:24 PM
It's useful early on, until you get a better react. I'll probably end up leveling my White Mage as either MOnk or Dragoon for HP Counter or Dragon Spirit.

Wolf Kanno
08-22-2008, 09:33 PM
It's useful early on, until you get a better react. I'll probably end up leveling my White Mage as either MOnk or Dragoon for HP Counter or Dragon Spirit.

Different playstyles I guess, I never found it all that useful as the Regen affect was always slow in this game. Auto-Potion just seemed like a better option to me since the game throws money at you. ;)

NeoCracker
08-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Yes, but I never remember to stock up on potions, so thats a horrible ability for me. XD

Wolf Kanno
08-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Yes, but I never remember to stock up on potions, so thats a horrible ability for me. XD

After 2 random battles you should have more than enough to buy 99 potions (or even hi-potions) and you get the added benefit of instant gratification! ;)

NeoCracker
08-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Being capable of doing it and remembering to do it are two very different things my friend. :p

eestlinc
08-22-2008, 10:33 PM
I had a good feeling!

Wolf Kanno
08-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Being capable of doing it and remembering to do it are two very different things my friend. :p

That's true, start eating fish while you play :p

I had a good feeling!

The stars were with us! ;)

NeoCracker
08-23-2008, 07:52 AM
*Insert line for failing a Job*

Not sure what it is. :p