PDA

View Full Version : Xbox360 wireless connection.

Quindiana Jones
06-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Right. I plan on getting my Xbox chucked up onto Live, but can't connect directly to the router because their in different rooms, different floors.

So, I need a wireless dongliethingimajiggy. Do I have to buy the £50 Xbox360 brand one, or can I just use any old one? I haven't got one spare to test, and I don't fancy spending £10-30 on one just to get disappointed. But, if possible, I'd rather spend less...obviously.

Cheers all.

XxSephirothxX
06-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Well, yes and no. The Xbox 360 wireless receiver is the simplest solution to the problem. But it's also really expensive. I have a Linksys WRT54G router upstairs; downstairs, an Xbox.

My solution was to install custom DD-WRT (http://dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php) firmware on my router and buy a second WRT54G for the living room (also with DD-WRT). The custom firmware allows for WDS, Wireless Distribution System, that basically turns my second router into both a wireless repeater and a hub. I don't believe most routers allow for this functionality out of the box. The WRT54G certainly doesn't, but it's possible some higher-end routers can do it. Either way, you'll need to buy something with an ethernet port that can grab the signal from your main router and supply a connection to your 360.

What kind of router do you have currently?

Quindiana Jones
06-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Currently, we've got a Netgear DGFV338 router. We've got WPA and WPA2 security. I'm thinking it's that the Xbox, as Microsoft said, doesn't work with WPA2, so I might just be totally screwed.

Tested the 'box with a ZyXEL G-202, with extension, and got nothing. Didn't even notice the USB was there. Tested the cable and USB on an actual computer, and they work fine so it's not them.

Balzac
06-05-2008, 06:17 PM
If you have a pc in the same room, use a crossover network cable. There's plenty of online explanations for it. You basically set up a network bridge and away you go.

I was using that until I decided to buy a wireless network adapter.

Quindiana Jones
06-05-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm testing everything using that method. 360 connected straight to the router and PC. But the PCs aren't anywhere near my room, so it's not exactly what I want. :)

XxSephirothxX
06-05-2008, 10:33 PM
You could just change the type of security you're using on your Wireless network to one compatible with the 360.

Quindiana Jones
06-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Bollocks to that. I'll just not go Live. I'm not letting off on security just because those morons are so incompetent.

"I'm having trouble robbing your house..."
"Oh sorry. I'll just leave the door open next time."

Screw that.

Sorry, that sounds really aggressive to you, personally, Azar. It's not, I just really hate Microsoft. :laugh:

XxSephirothxX
06-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Unless you live in a neighborhood of hackers, using something other than WPA2 isn't going to put you in any sort of jeopardy. And considering any router will let you monitor the activity of your network, you're basically using something that is robbing you of a fun experience with little or no real benefit.

Quindiana Jones
06-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Good point. But I'm totally paranoid, so it'd forever be on my mind.

Vyk
06-06-2008, 01:56 AM
Linksys makes a wireless gaming adapter. A reciever like the one you can get for the 360. Its just bigger and bulkier. It plugs into the network port. And its designed to not need to be installed or require drivers. So you just plug in and go. Just like the official one. Its only about 30 bucks (I don't know what that translates into pounds). Lots cheaper. Just a little heftier box

(Actually Linksys makes no less than TWO varieties of this gizmo)

Quindiana Jones
06-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Which one would you suggest, Vyk?

Vyk
06-09-2008, 06:36 PM
I'm not technical enough to give a real opinion. One's Wireless-G the other's Wireless-B. I don't know what the difference is really. I'm sure it has to do with stability and quality. One's $30, the other's $60. They're pretty easy to find on amazon.com if you look up wireless gaming adapter. 'Cause I'm pretty sure that's what its actually called. In fact, to be nice. I'll do it for you :]

...mrr... looks like a few other companies caught on

Search Results xD (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/026-7854549-7420460?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wireless+gaming+adapter)

Sorry I can't be more help. But at least one of these might save you some money

Quindiana Jones
06-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks very much. Fingers crossed they'll work. If not, I'll just bump off the WPA2 and bite my fingernails.

o_O
06-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Wireless B is 11Mbps, wireless G is 54Mbps. As long as you have a decent wireless connection to the router, neither would really make that much of a difference, but I still wouldn't buy B.

An alternative to wireless encryption (WPA/WPA2/WEP) is to use MAC filtering. It basically allows only specific hardware to connect to it, and you can have an earlier wireless encryption on at the same time. It is possible to spoof the MAC address of hardware, but anybody who knows how to do that is probably using their skills for something more evil. :p

Quindiana Jones
06-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Good God, you have no idea how much I wish I knew what that meant. :(

We've enabled the Xbox's MAC on the filter, so it should be OK. We'll find out when I actually buy a wireless dooberie.

o_O
06-12-2008, 02:16 PM
It basically means that only computers you approve will be allowed to connect to the network. :p

You could also turn off network name broadcasting. That would mean that it wouldn't show up in peoples' "Available networks" list for regular users.