PDA

View Full Version : Couple Of Issues.

sillybuttons™
06-05-2008, 08:31 PM
I posted this thread in a tech support forum but god knows how long they will take to get back to me and god knows if they will even care so I'm posting it here too where I know people care in the hope that someone may have some ideas or has had similar problems in the past and got solutions. Thanks if anyone can help, if not thanks anyway to EoFF and the members for taking the time to look.:mog:

Using Win XP PRO SP2
First question is does anyone know if this is a valid exe or is it something with sinister motives? C:\fb4b2f7bbd15c530aa9258b8\setup.exe. I found it in my firewall and thought it looked dubious so I've blocked it until I can establish its intentions.

Second, My automatic update has turned itself off and wont turn back on. I have followed all the solutions I can find and thought It was fixed but when I booted my computer up again it had turned off again. When I click the box to turn it on nothing happens. I got an error message the first time I tried it said
"We're sorry the Security Centre could change your automatic updates settings. To try changing these settings yourself, go to System in Control Panel. On the Automatic Updates tab select Automatic(reccomended) then click OK. "
I done this and the System in Control Panel reckons that it is on. Yet, my security center says it is turned off. Ive got a little red shield with a white x on it in my task tray.

Another thing which I think may be related to my auto update problem (just guessing though) is when I run sfc/scannow in command prompt I get the message
"Files that are required to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your Windows XP Proffesional Service Pack 2 CD now"
Problem is I havent got one. My computer has got one of them built in complete restore thingymajigs (I dont know the proper name).

Also, when I start up my computer my RAM usage is at 90% and I have to use a program called speed up my PC to manually recover the RAM before I can start to do anything. The only additional programs I start up that the computer didnt have originally are Norton 360, PC tools firewall and Speed up my PC (the last of which I only start up to save time when it comes to recovering the ram. I have had this particular problem for a while now but it never bothered me. I just thought it would be worth a mention while I'm here.

Thanks in advance for any help I get.
SB™

sillybuttons™
06-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Turned out to be malware. I was riddled with the stuff and had to do a complete system restore. Close thread please. Thanks.:mog:

Flying Mullet
06-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Sorry you had so much fun with this. :(