PDA

View Full Version : The Gamer's Vote

Depression Moon
06-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Considering the economic status right now and some new legislations going on I was wondering who in the US presidency election here do you consider would be most beneficial to gamers? I heard from a couple of resources that John McCain said that GTA IV is a sin against god, Hilary Clinton I think made the ESRB come into being over a decade ago and established the death trap AO rating. she also tried to have a legislation for rehabilitation to parents children who were emotionally hurt by video games. Obama said that parents need to take responsibility for what they're children are doing. now i agree with him. With gas prices and a lot of other things going up, probably less people are buying games like me, but GTA still sold a hell of a lot! Oh i forgot Hilary's not an option anymore.

What are your opinions?

Psychotic
06-06-2008, 04:58 PM
John McCain said that GTA IV is a sin against godPsychotic says that John McCain is a sin against god.

Roto13
06-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Obama says that parents need to keep their kids from playing violent games, and to keep them from playing games, watching tv, etc. to an excess. He has a brain. Obama.

fire_of_avalon
06-06-2008, 06:01 PM
That bit about Clinton and the ESRB isn't true. The ESRB came about as an amalgam of a variety of different agencies after Congress delivered an ultimatum to create a workable self-rating system or have a government imposed network. The head of these hearings (which took place in the early 90's) were Joe Lieberman and Herb Kohl. Hillary didn't have anything to do with it.

As for the McCain quote, I found it on digg, linked from unconfirmedsource.com citing the original article in straight talk express. I can't find any information on a publication called Straight Talk Express.

Madame Adequate
06-06-2008, 06:04 PM
I always liked what Obama has been saying about gaming. Basically, as far as I've been able to gather, he doesn't think all games are suitable for all ages, and he doesn't think mass media should replace parents in the role of parenting. Both of which seem perfectly reasonable to me. Edit: I'll concede this is one area where I have very little idea what he's actually planning to do, if anything. :p

Balzac
06-06-2008, 07:09 PM
McCain is still pissed at the world for getting himself trapped in a bamboo cage and poked with pointy sticks. Obama seems like the right guy for the job. But honestly, I can;t see them letting a black guy run the show.

Dynast-Kid
06-06-2008, 07:16 PM
That bit about Clinton and the ESRB isn't true. The ESRB came about as an amalgam of a variety of different agencies after Congress delivered an ultimatum to create a workable self-rating system or have a government imposed network. The head of these hearings (which took place in the early 90's) were Joe Lieberman and Herb Kohl. Hillary didn't have anything to do with it.

I think he might be getting Hilary Clinton confused with Tipper Gore, even though Tipper wanted to censor music, and not games.

leader of mortals
06-06-2008, 07:39 PM
every idiot in the entire world in a position of power tries to stop violent games, and obama is smart enough to suggest that it is up to the parents. Obama is smart. He is better.

rubah
06-06-2008, 08:12 PM
This reminds me of a recent story on <a href="http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/06/05/164256&from=rss"/>slashdot</a>

fire_of_avalon
06-06-2008, 08:13 PM

I think he might be getting Hilary Clinton confused with Tipper Gore, even though Tipper wanted to censor music, and not games.

Yeah, I thought so too actually. Stay out of my brains.

Dynast-Kid
06-06-2008, 08:36 PM
I haven't really thought about video game politics lately, but it sounds like Obama would be best for gamers.

Yeah, I thought so too actually. Stay out of my brains.

Sorry, it's just so cozy there. :bigsmile:

DarkLadyNyara
06-06-2008, 09:18 PM
John McCain said that GTA IV is a sin against godPsychotic says that John McCain is a sin against god.

Obama says that parents need to keep their kids from playing violent games, and to keep them from playing games, watching tv, etc. to an excess. He has a brain. Obama.

Yeah. What they said. :D

Obama is advocating that parents actually, y'know, parent their kids. Sounds good to me.

Breine
06-06-2008, 09:29 PM

Qft.

Depression Moon
07-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Ddid anyone here about the SOCOM issue last week? John McCain used music from SOCOM in one of his ads. The game publisher didn't sue him, but they were upset that they used his material without their permission.

The Unknown Guru
07-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Basically, I think the majority of the gamer community is pretty liberal. Obama it is.

NeoTifa
07-01-2008, 10:51 PM
obamabamabamabamabamabamabamabama!!!!!!!

Vivisteiner
07-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Who the ruddy hell voted for McCain? :???:

~*~Celes~*~
07-02-2008, 10:09 PM
I don't know who I'm gonna vote for. I don't like any of our choices.

Ron Paul :( Come back plz.

Jiro
07-05-2008, 10:19 AM
If I could vote, Obama. For sure. He makes sense