PDA

View Full Version : Youtube is a great thing

darkchrono
06-08-2008, 12:28 AM
I am still interested in some rpg stories however I am not real big on sitting through a playthrough of most of those stories for 40 or 50 hours anylonger (some games I can still sit through while playing but not many).

So I have found that watching a playthrough of the game off of youtube is the next best thing. It surprises me how you can find something like that off of youtube. And its not just current games. I have seen playthroughs of computer games from the mid 80's on there.

Jessweeee♪
06-08-2008, 12:44 AM
I've been meaning to watch some of Dirge of Cerberus that way :p

darkchrono
06-08-2008, 12:59 AM
I've been meaning to watch some of Dirge of Cerberus that way :p

That is actually how I finished watching Dirge of Cerberus. I can't stand shooters and not even a final fantasy 7 game could make that any better so I just watched it off of youtube. The one I saw was a little hard to follow at times because the person just put the cutscenes on there and skipped over all the action scenes (and so sometimes you kind of wondered how they got from this point to that point). But if you looked hard enough you could probably find a Dirge playthrough covering the entire game.

Monkey4Soul
06-08-2008, 02:18 AM
I'm slightly confused about what this trread is about...

Roto13
06-08-2008, 02:35 AM
I can't imagine anything I'd want to do less than to watch someone play a game. It's like watching someone eat a cupcake or watching someone exercise on a treadmill. You're just watching someone doing something pleasant or productive instead of actually doing it.

Lawr
06-08-2008, 02:45 AM
Good luck finding a Dirge of Cerberus playthrough. The game is so bad that people don't even bother putting up playthroughs, just the cutscenes.

Jessweeee♪
06-08-2008, 02:56 AM
I'm not going to watch the whole playthrough, just a few cutscenes here and there :p

Vyk
06-08-2008, 02:57 AM
I like to use it for nostalgia, with systems and games I don't have, or never have, that represent a fun bygone time. My Sega Saturn is broke, and its such a wonderful overlooked system. I look up games for it frequently on YouTube

Shoeberto
06-08-2008, 03:04 AM
Yeah, nostalgia's definitely a motivator for it, plus plain curiosity. Speedruns of some games are awesome just because of how wtf they are.

Markus. D
06-08-2008, 03:57 AM
ilu youtube <3

o_O
06-08-2008, 04:14 AM
When I was a kid I used to have Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on Sega Master System, but it's one of the most ridiculously hard games to play because of the appalling controls. I finally saw what happens after the third level a little while ago by watching a playthrough on Youtube. :p

Vermachtnis
06-08-2008, 04:31 AM
I've look up a couple of scenes for Xenosaga a few times. Plus it's awesome watching people take a Super Ultimate Boss in games while making it look like cakewalk.

Ultima Shadow
06-08-2008, 03:39 PM
I can't imagine anything I'd want to do less than to watch someone play a game. It's like watching someone eat a cupcake or watching someone exercise on a treadmill. You're just watching someone doing something pleasant or productive instead of actually doing it.
I'm with Roto on this one. I mean... sure, watching someone do something crazy and/or skilled in a video game, watching game trailers or watching Smash vs-matches etc... that's one thing. But watching someone play trough an 20+ hours RPG storyline? Nahhh.... I think I'll pass.

JKTrix
06-08-2008, 04:24 PM
YouTube - Super Mario Chaos play pt 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leH7IU4yOWE)
YouTube - Super Mario Chaos play pt 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufp_yRSdvow)
YouTube - Super Mario Chaos play pt 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzXtGpbXeOg)

YouTube is indeed great, but NicoNicoDouga is better...if you can understand it. There are oodles of this stuff on there, and is actually where these videos originated.

DMKA
06-08-2008, 04:24 PM

Basically.

darkchrono
06-09-2008, 12:26 AM

You don't watch it to see them play the game. You watch it to see the story if you don't necessarily want to bother with playing the game yourself.

I agree just watching a playthrough for the gameplay would be dumb. But watching for the story makes alot of sense (if you are interested in the story(you can just fastforward through the gameplay parts anyhow)).

darkchrono
06-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Did alot of the posts on this thread just suddenly disappear? When I went to apply there were three pages worth of posts but now there only just a little over one. Or maybe I was just looking at it wrong.

Lawr
06-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Well, you may have been fooling around with your Account Options and changed the Post Count for every page! :p

The Unknown Guru
06-09-2008, 03:29 AM
Sometimes, if I accidentally save over a file that was right before a particularly epic cutscene, I watch it on Youtube when I need some epicness.

Here's an example. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkL3Z8695Fg&feature=related) Holy crud, I can't believe I saved over that file.