PDA

View Full Version : How did Tseng survive the Temple of the Ancients?

jammi567
06-08-2008, 03:16 PM
As title.

I always thought that Elena had saved him when she was sent in to deal with Cloud and co. (nothing said in the game itself, just a guess). Because, otherwise, how would she know that he was dead, or that there was anything wrong with him in the first place.

BarelySeeAtAll
06-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Tseng is now a ghost that haunts me at night :P

nah seriously, i dunno i just assumed he ended up recovering..:| so now am wrong huh? FINE :P

Suvious
06-08-2008, 06:54 PM
No Sephiroth stabbed him to http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif! It is clearly said he died make sense Square

BG-57
06-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Like Rufus we're kind of left to assume he died, since he doesn't appear in the game after that. So you can imagine how AC caught me off guard. Not to mention DoC.

MJN SEIFER
06-08-2008, 07:35 PM
I've been meaning to say this for sometime;

despite the fact that Tseng, Rufus, and maybe some others returened in AC, I still concider them dead in the canon of FFVII.

In my mind the canon of FFVII and the canon of FFVII to AC are two seperate storylines. The people who decided they should have survived after all could be completly different people to the ones that "killed" their characters - on the other hand they could have just changed their minds.

BG-57
06-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Kind of like connecting FFX-2 retroactively to FFVII in a way that most fans would rather pretend didn't happen?

Suvious
06-08-2008, 07:59 PM
10-2 sucked but at least it made sense.
AC brings back the dead now? >.>

PeneloRatsbane
06-08-2008, 11:25 PM
maybe they used a pheonix down, like Cloud should have.
no that really confused me and it also didn't seem to have much point as Tseng only appeared in one scene or so, but still i was a lil glad cos i loved that geeser. but does anyone else wonder if he kept good on that date with Elena?
I was never big on tht pair but it is kind of sweet.

Big D
06-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Tseng wasn't necessarily killed. He was wounded, but still alive enough to make it back to the entrance to the Temple, where the party finds him, and he's still alive at this time.

Also, in the Japanese script, at Icicle Inn, Elena blames Cloud etc for hurting Tseng, not killing him. Presumably, she found him and got him to safety, and assumed his injuries were inflicted by our heroes. Logical, since she knew they were all at the Temple of the Ancients at the same time.

Cowboy Girl
06-09-2008, 03:33 PM
To add to what Big D said, if you try talking to Tseng before going further, he will say "I'm still alive". Also, when leaving the Temple, you don't see Tseng at the entrance. Assuming it would take at least quite awhile to get through and back plus with the boss fight(s), it is possible that someone else came and found Tseng.

Heath
06-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Tseng wasn't necessarily killed. He was wounded, but still alive enough to make it back to the entrance to the Temple, where the party finds him, and he's still alive at this time.

Also, in the Japanese script, at Icicle Inn, Elena blames Cloud etc for hurting Tseng, not killing him. Presumably, she found him and got him to safety, and assumed his injuries were inflicted by our heroes. Logical, since she knew they were all at the Temple of the Ancients at the same time.

You know, I honestly don't remember that bit, but it makes a lot sense. I thought Tseng had died until AC too and always took the "I'm still alive" to be amongst his last words to signify that he wasn't dead yet, but dying.

MJN SEIFER
06-10-2008, 01:17 PM
To add to what Big D said, if you try talking to Tseng before going further, he will say "I'm still alive". Also, when leaving the Temple, you don't see Tseng at the entrance. Assuming it would take at least quite awhile to get through and back plus with the boss fight(s), it is possible that someone else came and found Tseng.

No, that's before Sephiroth slices him, I haven't a clue what's wrong with him in that scene.

Big D
06-10-2008, 03:13 PM

No, that's before Sephiroth slices him, I haven't a clue what's wrong with him in that scene.That isn't quite right. The party finds Tseng at the entrance, then later on they are shown a vision of what happened to Tseng. It's a flashback to when he received the injury.

Sephex
06-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Yeah, you never see him dead. I thought he was dead before I saw AC, so whatever. Doesn't bother me. I actually want them to do a FFVII remake simply to flesh out stuff like this, though. I could care less about TEH GRAFIX.

MJN SEIFER
06-10-2008, 09:49 PM
That isn't quite right. The party finds Tseng at the entrance, then later on they are shown a vision of what happened to Tseng. It's a flashback to when he received the injury.

What? So the scene where he gets sliced happened before Cloud's team found him outside?

I've been playing this game for ages and I never realized!

cloud21zidane16
06-11-2008, 12:05 AM
That isn't quite right. The party finds Tseng at the entrance, then later on they are shown a vision of what happened to Tseng. It's a flashback to when he received the injury.

What? So the scene where he gets sliced happened before Cloud's team found him outside?

I've been playing this game for ages and I never realized!

Yeah he said to Elena they should go to dinner once the missions over then she left. He got sliced and probably fought for his life to get back outside, then Cloud shows up, i just presumed that Elena or someone from Shinra found him.

Besides its still possible to do the Wutai sidequest after this and dosent Reno get a call from Tseng when your rescuing Yuffie and Elena? i may be wrong.
But im sure somewhere after this he is mentioned once, i think Elena is saying you hurt Tseng to Cloud but he replys "no that was Sephiroth"

MJN SEIFER
06-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Yeah he said to Elena they should go to dinner once the missions over then she left. He got sliced and probably fought for his life to get back outside, then Cloud shows up, i just presumed that Elena or someone from Shinra found him.

Right, now I finally understand what was wrong with him when he was found. Stupidly I thought he'd gone back in for some reason.

Besides its still possible to do the Wutai sidequest after this and dosent Reno get a call from Tseng when your rescuing Yuffie and Elena? i may be wrong.

It is never said who is calling Reno, it could be Tseng, but it could easilly have been someone else like Rufus, (or maybe Heidegger, since he has some comand over the Turks, doesn't he).

But im sure somewhere after this he is mentioned once, i think Elena is saying you hurt Tseng to Cloud but he replys "no that was Sephiroth"

Elena want's to know who "did Tseng in" which is a term for murdering, there is always a possiblity the translaters didn't realize that though.

Ari
06-19-2008, 01:52 AM
Am I wrong? Ive played this game for years, and the way I always put things together, from whatever investigating i could do, was that Tseng was cait sith, and that he was controlling it from wherever. At one point, when cait sith betrays them or whatever, it shows a scene, where Tseng is saying "sorry cloud.." to himself from within Shinra headquarters. Where you also find cait siths ultimate weapon later on.

I honestly havent played the game in years. But that is always how I understood it... Even after the temple of the ancients, where he sacrifices himself (just a robot though). you continue to have tseng in your party (cait sith).

I could be wrong. That is how I interpreted it always. Dunno.

Big D
06-19-2008, 02:04 AM
It was Reeve, not Tseng, who was controlling Cait Sith. This is firmly established during the Sister Ray scene, after Diamond Weapon's attack on Midgar. Reeve gets caught out when he's trying to hold down a conversation with Scarlet and Heidegger, at the same time as he's using Cait Sith to talk to the Avalanche crowd.

Ari
06-19-2008, 02:26 AM
It was Reeve, not Tseng, who was controlling Cait Sith. This is firmly established during the Sister Ray scene, after Diamond Weapon's attack on Midgar. Reeve gets caught out when he's trying to hold down a conversation with Scarlet and Heidegger, at the same time as he's using Cait Sith to talk to the Avalanche crowd.

Ah, crap. Wrong guy haha. yeah, thats right. Thanks. I gotta play this game again.

Big D
06-19-2008, 02:41 AM
Those Shinra guys all look the same, so it'd be an easy oversight to make:p