PDA

View Full Version : The river says, "I'MA GONNA EAT YOUR HOUSE!"

Avarice-ness
06-09-2008, 05:45 AM
Dude. xD

I'm like cracking up here. I get a call from my sister, asking me if I was on the news, I say "no why" and she's like "OMFG GO LOOK OUTSIDE"

I skip to the fourth story window by the elevator, and look down at the "ground" only to see that the river is coming to eat my apartment complex.

I walked out there, and they have news people, random people from around the area and it's 11pm.

I'm literally trapped inside my house now. Luckly I'm on the fourth story, but looks like I won't be doing anything outside for a while.. since.. I can't get out of the apartment complex without having to swim. What sucks more, is that I have my 7th month baby doctor appointment and.. yeah looks like I won't be able to make it on Tuesday. =[

I'll have pictures tomorrow.

So, while the other weather thread dealt with tornados this one deals with floods!!

Have you ever been flooded in? How close have you been to a flood? If it hasn't flooded recently, do you remember when the last time it flooded? Have you had any plans ruined because of a flood?

TALK ABOUT FLOODING! Flood doesn't even look like a word now. =[

Freya
06-09-2008, 06:02 AM
I live in wyoming..... it never floods o.o at least not in this part.

That's crazy though! Are you close to the river or something?

Avarice-ness
06-09-2008, 06:06 AM
I live in wyoming..... it never floods o.o at least not in this part.

That's crazy though! Are you close to the river or something?

Yeah my apartment complex is called "RiversEdge Apartments" xD

The news reporter made a joke that was like "Well it seems that the RiversEdge Apartment complex is actually on the rivers edge now!!"

The rivers risen about 4 or 5 feet, there's usually a large side walk (the "river walk") and a two way street between the beginning of the parking lot to my apartment's front parking lot. Right now the waters like.. 6 parks away from being at the front door.

Randgris
06-09-2008, 06:24 AM
You should ask the asian members cause most are already immune to floods, storms, typhoons, earthquakes and other catastrophes.

When there is a storm approaching us, things are usually cancelled (weddings, debuts, birthdays, blah, blah...) and we got used to it, we never really cared anymore. Although one time, me, my mom and my cousin went to Manila. It was round six when we decided to go home but we got stranded for one whole night inside an fx taxi.

Momiji
06-09-2008, 06:28 AM
Due to a mechanical failure, our basement flooded a few years ago. We had to have massive fans down there to dry everything for over a week, they were so loud and strong. It was fun to stand in front of them. xD

Avarice-ness
06-09-2008, 06:42 AM
You should ask the asian members cause most are already immune to floods, storms, typhoons, earthquakes and other catastrophes.

When there is a storm approaching us, things are usually cancelled (weddings, debuts, birthdays, blah, blah...) and we got used to it, we never really cared anymore. Although one time, me, my mom and my cousin went to Manila. It was round six when we decided to go home but we got stranded for one whole night inside an fx taxi.

Oh that stinks about the taxi.

The only time I got stranded anywhere was in Texas. Basically my dad was coming home from work and couldn't get back to the house so he ended up being stuck at a bar/resturant on a hill. Oh the convenience.

Xaven
06-09-2008, 06:45 AM
I live on a massive hill. Upon more massive hills. :O No floods for me. D: I want to see one though. :D

Jessweeee♪
06-09-2008, 06:59 AM
I'm like a couple feet above sea level and near several small bodies of water and the Gulf of Mexico.

...but I've never been flooded :p

*knock on wood*

strawberryman
06-09-2008, 07:02 AM
Never had a flood here, but we've had tornadoes.

theundeadhero
06-09-2008, 07:07 AM
Back home is subject to just about every natural disaster except volcanoes.

Breine
06-09-2008, 09:06 AM
I don't really live near water, so the possibility of a flood is very small. The craziest naturalistic thing that's happened here was hurricane like 9 years ago.

Blue Harvest
06-09-2008, 10:48 AM
I live on a massive hill. Upon more massive hills. :O No floods for me.

Avarice-ness
06-09-2008, 07:23 PM
It usually looks like this!

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/omgpretty.jpg

Now it looks like this!

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/S4020069.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/S4020070.jpg

Taken from my 4th story window next to the elevator because I'm to lazy to go to the ground and Ohh and Ahh about it like everyone else seems to be doing.

Jessweeee♪
06-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Wow that's really pretty O:

Avarice-ness
06-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Wow that's really pretty O:

Yeah it really is. The only thing that's really depressing is that there are brand new cute little flowers that they just planted outside and now they're... DEAD from water. =[

Rye
06-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Not in my part of time (half of my town is right on the water, and the other is not), but in my old house in Queens, our basement flooded all the time.

Sergeant Hartman
06-09-2008, 07:40 PM
When it rains heavy, the drain outside my house gets blocked and most of the path gets flooded.

Tallulah
06-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Here's some badass flooding from Wallington (near where my mum works) in Surrey, South England, from last year's so-called summer...

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j127/lou_300/ohnoezwallington3.jpg

Avarice-ness
06-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Oh dang! That's crazy!

I really wish the waters would receed but I don't think they will. I just want to go to my doctors appointment, and... well at this point since I can't go anywhere I -want- to go places. xD

.. It's suppose to start raining again soon. :(

The Unknown Guru
06-10-2008, 12:01 AM
The large hill that I and a large portion of my town live on was virtually turned into an island last November. It sucked, but at least we had power.

The windstorm that hit a month later, however, left everything pretty much out for a week.

Sarc the Swordsman
06-11-2008, 03:26 AM
It's never really flooded much around where I live, but before my parents dug up the entire back garden and replaced it with gravel, it used to flood all the time whenever it rained.

Avarice-ness
06-11-2008, 03:32 AM
It's never really flooded much around where I live, but before my parents dug up the entire back garden and replaced it with gravel, it used to flood all the time whenever it rained.

That stinks.We've already have one dam break and a lake let out, apparently there's another dam about to break. IT JUST NEVER ENDS.

Randgris
06-11-2008, 06:20 AM
I watched the news yesterday, heard some dam broke in Wisconsin and I saw (on TV) a gray roofed house being washed away. It's amazing how nature gets payback in a very, very disturbing way.

Avarice-ness
06-11-2008, 08:07 AM
I watched the news yesterday, heard some dam broke in Wisconsin and I saw (on TV) a gray roofed house being washed away. It's amazing how nature gets payback in a very, very disturbing way.

Yeah that dam like broke the day of the bad rains.

There's another dam that got a bog caught in it and by the time the people got it out the dam was already cracking.
They're just waiting for it to break, and people down the river are being told to either get their stuff and get out, or get out when they sound the tornado sirens because they're going to sound the tornado sirens when the dam breaks.