PDA

View Full Version : WTB gaming lingo?

ValkyrieWing
06-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Alright, I've been playing WoW for about a year now...and some of the acronyms or whatever the people I play with use have been baffling me. I get them after a while, but usually when I first see them, I'm all like "huh?" o_O Anyone have the same experience? It dosen't even have to be WoW, I'm just wondering if people have had the same reaction i did.

Come on, share the funnies! :D

lolomgwtgdairyqueenbbq.

Vermachtnis
06-10-2008, 08:50 PM
I wanna know how 'plox' became the place of please?

Dreddz
06-10-2008, 08:55 PM
I actually hate all these weird gaming acronyms that seem to float around message boards. Main reason why I avoid large gaming sites like Gamespot and IGN. Fortunately this filthy rash hasnt spread to EOFF. Yet anyway.

Having played alot of online games and met alot of people online its rare that I dont know what they mean when they use stupid gaming lingo. I will always observe but never become them.

Bunny
06-10-2008, 08:56 PM
1337-speak stupidity.

I've never had a "O_o huh" reaction to any sort of gaming acronym. Usually it is rather easy to figure them out depending on the context in which they are used.

Shoeberto
06-10-2008, 08:59 PM
plz ok thx = plox

Sometimes I've picked up on them pretty quick, but others (especially in WoW) just confused me. Nicknames for locations and character builds usually get me the worst.

Flying Mullet
06-10-2008, 09:03 PM
"WoW"? :confused:

Roogle
06-10-2008, 09:51 PM
plz ok thx = plox

Sometimes I've picked up on them pretty quick, but others (especially in WoW) just confused me. Nicknames for locations and character builds usually get me the worst.

I thought the origin of this term came from the distance between the Z and the X key. If it is typed incorrectly, "plz" becomes "plx".

ValkyrieWing
06-10-2008, 11:00 PM
What I really want to know is when 'owned' came into play.

Madame Adequate
06-10-2008, 11:14 PM
plz ok thx = plox

I thought the origin of this term came from the distance between the Z and the X key. If it is typed incorrectly, "plz" becomes "plx".

That was my understanding.

Language elitists amuse me, because so few actually understand how language works, but they think they're all that. Those of us who do understand how it works can sit back and enjoy using the language in all its forms. :cool:

Shoeberto
06-10-2008, 11:22 PM
plz ok thx = plox

That was my understanding.
I never had it really explained to me, I just sort of assumed. I still like my rationale better :cool:

The Unknown Guru
06-11-2008, 01:27 AM
All I need to know is BBQ. All I can think of is 'be back quick', but then it would be redundant because of BRB.

Big D
06-11-2008, 02:07 AM
All I need to know is BBQ. All I can think of is 'be back quick', but then it would be redundant because of BRB.BBQ=barbecue. It's only used (e.g. "OMGWTFBBQ") because more acronyms = more cool, using the same kind of Zim logic which declares that having more organs makes you more human.

Jowy
06-11-2008, 08:06 AM
They explain all of the commonly used WoW acronyms in the back of the instruction booklet.

wtb mana pot injector scheme in org, 300G, pst.

Citizen Bleys
06-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Get used to it, each game has its own lingo. I've been playing Final Fantasy XI for 4 years and I can't understand the people who immigrate from WoW. I shake my head every time someone says "taunt" when they mean "voke" or "DPS" when they mean "DD."

FFXI's lingo is extra cryptic, though, due to the multilingual nature of the game. Things like G1 are counterintuitive to most English players because the G stands for a Japanese word ("genkai," meaning "limit"; it refers to 5 quests in the game where you raise your character's maximum level). Likewise with D2 (Easier to type than "Warp 2," and it has caught on amongst speakers of every language in the game--it originates because "Warp" is "Dezone" in the Japanese client)

I'm sure you can figure out "WTB" (Want to Buy) or WTS (Want to Sell) because they're in English, but start adding in Japanese and things get a whole lot hairier.

Miriel
06-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Likewise with D2 (Easier to type than "Warp 2," and it has caught on amongst speakers of every language in the game--it originates because "Warp" is "Dezone" in the Japanese client)
Oh my god, it took me FOREVER to figure out why the hell D2 stood for a Warp 2. Confused the hell outta me.

Also, the whole "w" as "lol" thing. That's just weird. People would start and end their sentences with "w" so for a time, i thought it was some sort of odd Japanese punctuation mark.

There was this one guy in the game who would keep typing orz and I'd be like, "wtf is orz???" Turns out it's supposed to be a little text figure guy bowing down or something.

Internet/gaming lingo came be very strange at times.

Kes
06-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Get used to it, each game has its own lingo. I've been playing Final Fantasy XI for 4 years and I can't understand the people who immigrate from WoW. I shake my head every time someone says "taunt" when they mean "voke" or "DPS" when they mean "DD."

I'm being this person right now. FFXI is blowing my poor little former-WoW-playing mind. I'll probably continue to use some of the ones that aren't game specific (obviously "taunt" and "voke" need to stick to their respective games) but eh.

Personally, I have to keep up the FFXIclopedia dictionary when I'm playing. Seriously guys, do you really have to shorten party to pt? SRSLY?

As far as strange WoW lingo goes, the most confusing has to be place names (BRD vs BFD, ULDA vs UBRS vs LBRS, RFD vs RFK) not to mention all the VC vs DM debates (and DM will always stand for Dire Maul, noobs). I did get confused with omw. I think that was it for any slang one could actually use for anywhere that isn't Azeroth.

I did once say "Come on guys, let's hearth" in real life, that got me some odd looks.

I do have to say, the best thing about game lingo is once I start talking with someone who plays the same MMO, we can successfully alienate anyone else from the conversation in a way almost nothing else but speaking another language can.

Misfit
06-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Likewise with D2 (Easier to type than "Warp 2," and it has caught on amongst speakers of every language in the game--it originates because "Warp" is "Dezone" in the Japanese client)
AH-HA! I never knew that but I always wondered~! orz orz orz wwwwww

wtb mats for goblin rocket launcher at org bank, pst!

"PST" is my favorite. I remember when Eric first played WoW he was all "amg I thought 'PST' was like psst" lolno "please send tell" har har har noob. n________n

Captain Maxx Power
06-11-2008, 02:51 PM
I get on with it myself and use a lot of the acronyms myself. It's just a good way of communicating because it allows you to make a quick request that everyone can understand without going into deep verbatim on the subject. On the whole however I tend to type in full sentences wherever possible, because it's a really good way of increasing your typing speed while you play. Right now I can type 80+WPM all thanks to playing online games. :cool:

Madame Adequate
06-11-2008, 03:56 PM
As far as strange WoW lingo goes, the most confusing has to be place names (BRD vs BFD, ULDA vs UBRS vs LBRS, RFD vs RFK) not to mention all the VC vs DM debates (and DM will always stand for Dire Maul, noobs). I did get confused with omw. I think that was it for any slang one could actually use for anywhere that isn't Azeroth.

Sorry, the dungeon isn't called Van Cleef. :P

Rantz
06-11-2008, 03:56 PM
"WoW"? :confused:

"EoFF"? :confused:

Misfit
06-11-2008, 04:23 PM

QFT, and it's always fucking 19 rogue twinkzzzszss that wanna run "VC" for "lol phat lewt".

Bunny
06-11-2008, 05:37 PM

Then call it DMS. It's VC otherwise. Pathetic little dungeons do not deserve to be singled out by their titles. They get called by their boss name.

ValkyrieWing
06-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Sometimes, when I'm talking to my guildies in vent, I accidentally use the wrong...erm..code for whatever. Like, We've been raiding Zul'Aman, and I've called it ZF before. I've been playing less that a year, so that could be a plausible excuse....

Ok, so if shortening things is supposed to make it easier, why do people tack stuff on the end? Lollerskates? Roflcopter? What gives? o_O

Vermachtnis
06-11-2008, 06:46 PM
I always though DM=Dead Mines.

Bunny
06-11-2008, 06:50 PM
No.

ValkyrieWing
06-11-2008, 08:02 PM
VC- Deadmines
DM-Dire Maul

those ones are easy. it's the other ones that suck. lol

Madame Adequate
06-11-2008, 08:04 PM

Then call it DMS. It's VC otherwise. Pathetic little dungeons do not deserve to be singled out by their titles. They get called by their boss name.

wtb 1 x [Rectal Stick Remover]

Bunny
06-11-2008, 08:09 PM
I can't find that on wowhead, where does it drop?

Citizen Bleys
06-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Regardless of what the WoW folks would have you believe, DM = Divine Might. Always has and always will.

On a related note, EDM = Eskimo Deathmatch. The WoW folks can't take that one away either.

Avarice-ness
06-13-2008, 02:41 AM

I don't play alliance so like.. the 2 times we got bored enough to want to go over there we'd just be all "DEAD MINES. >=O"

The only one that really got me confused was "Slabs" which is Shadow Labyrinth. Usually most of them are either abbreviations or the first so many letters of on the of the words, slabs is just a combo word. Whic... there's not even an "s" at the end. ; ;

ValkyrieWing
06-13-2008, 02:44 AM
LOL this is indeed true

I guess Slabs sounds better than Slab?

Bunny
06-13-2008, 03:20 AM

I don't play alliance so like.. the 2 times we got bored enough to want to go over there we'd just be all "DEAD MINES. >=O"

The only one that really got me confused was "Slabs" which is Shadow Labyrinth. Usually most of them are either abbreviations or the first so many letters of on the of the words, slabs is just a combo word. Whic... there's not even an "s" at the end. ; ;

I believe it is mostly to ease confusion when abbreviating things. SL is usually the designation for Soul Link Warlocks. Slabs/Slab sounds a bit better than that.

ps deadmines is one word :x

Madame Adequate
06-13-2008, 05:11 AM

On Thottbot.

Regardless of what the WoW folks would have you believe, DM = Divine Might. Always has and always will.

On a related note, EDM = Eskimo Deathmatch. The WoW folks can't take that one away either.

DM = Dire Maul. EDM = whatever, because it's called Dire Maul East, and thus DM East. :p

Bunny
06-13-2008, 05:15 AM

On Thottbot.

Thottbot is full of fail and AIDs. Also keyloggers.

Lawr
06-13-2008, 05:25 AM
I said 'Shatt' on Wow because it stands for Shattrah and this guy was all like "Dang, no need to swear man."

Classic.

Cases like "WTB run thru sfk, 10g," "LF good tank heroics. Don't suck," or "WTB [Mongoose] 600g, my mats and tips" are common in the Trade Chat. If you don't understand the Lingo, you will not survive.

Roogle
06-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Also, the whole "w" as "lol" thing. That's just weird. People would start and end their sentences with "w" so for a time, i thought it was some sort of odd Japanese punctuation mark.

わらい means laughter. The part that annoys me is that North Americans cannot duplicate the script that they type "W" in without special assistance.

ValkyrieWing
06-13-2008, 06:39 PM
I remember once a guy in our guild was spamming trade to sell something, i dont remember what, and he said at the end of his spam 'pst plz'. The entire guild made fun of him for like 2 weeks. lol

Jowy
06-13-2008, 09:11 PM
"DM" is Deadmines.
"LOCK EPIC MOUNT QUEST LF HEALS" is Dire Maul.