PDA

View Full Version : I live on the road.

Rye
06-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Rye wants to move up the career ladder before she goes to university in the fall! So, she applied for a full time (well, 9-5, but only 4 days a week, not 5, and $10 dollars/hr unf <3) job about 30-40 minutes away from her house! :ichigo:

I think the interview I had today went quite well, and even though she said that she's going to interview other people who are looking for a summer job. The fact that I want to work 4 days, and not 5 is a little against my favor, but she was telling me who'd train me and where'd she put me and such, which isn't really something you'd tell someone unless you're pretty sure you're going to hire them. And since it'd be an office computer type job and other internshipish stuff, I'd definitely take an offer if she gives it to me.

So I have to face the fact that I'm probably going to be hardcore commuting this summer. It took me 30 minutes to get to the interview, but it took closer to an hour getting back, with the traffic. Blech.

Who commutes? How long is the commute? How do you deal with it? Is it worth it, to you? :kaodizzy:

Shoeberto
06-10-2008, 11:24 PM
I applied for an internship where I would've had to commute close to two hours daily. The pay really didn't make up for it.
(plus I was totally underqualified)

Miriel
06-10-2008, 11:40 PM
I have to commute for most of my photography gigs. Typical commute is about 1 hour. Longest was about 2.5 hours. I also have to commute for all my meetings and consultations too since I don't have my own studio space.

I don't mind commuting, as long as their isn't traffic. But traffic-less roads in the greater Los Angeles area is pretty much non-existent.

Balzac
06-11-2008, 01:04 AM
I used to commute to where I worked. It was an hour long bus ride full of school kids. Terrible.

The Unknown Guru
06-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Ew, commute. Even when I turn 16, I'm really not going to drive unless I absolutely have to. Where I live, I can just walk everywhere (or take the bus if I need to get closer to actual civilization).

DMKA
06-11-2008, 01:42 AM
It's like 15 minutes to work. I'm not making enough money to afford the gas anymore though. It's like now I'm just working so I can go to work.

:(

Meow
06-11-2008, 02:40 AM
I drive 40 minutes daily to sell guitars to mall teenagers so

tossup

Avarice-ness
06-11-2008, 02:40 AM
I'm used to being in a family who has to commute far.

My dad works in the oil field so when he was still in the states, he would basically live in the city for his family. In most towns that are oil field specific the job industry isn't to high UNLESS you're apart of the business, so when I was a kid my dad lived about 2 hours from his work.
When I lived with him a couple of years ago, he worked about an hour and 15 minutes from work.

He never minded the drive though, he'd listen to talk radio and it'd give him time to just relax and reflect on his day or prepare for his day. He was used to driving a lot too, because his job meant that he could work 24/7, if he got a call at 2am he might have to pick up and drive 5 hours to deliver rig parts to a rig in need.

Because of that though, other than gas prices I wouldn't mind driving a distance to work. I used to tag along with my dad on his road trips to rigs and I actually really like being on the road.

Shoeberto
06-11-2008, 02:54 AM
Because of that though, other than gas prices I wouldn't mind driving a distance to work. I used to tag along with my dad on his road trips to rigs and I actually really like being on the road.
To an extent, I think I agree with that. Gas prices really kill my desire to commute anywhere, though.

I think if the commute was too long though (over an hour or so) every day I'd get really sick of it. At the end of the day I know all I'd want to do is go home, and having an hour drive before I can get there and relax would start to grate on me.

Peegee
06-11-2008, 03:58 AM
I used to live about 30 mins city driving to my office. Now I live an hour half away, but I don't commute any more.

I dread the day they drag me screaming (literally) to the office t_t

Roto13
06-11-2008, 06:42 AM
I used to get up at like 5 in the morning, walk 20 minutes to the train station, and take the train another 40 minutes, then walk another ten minutes to work. *die*

Breine
06-11-2008, 08:47 AM
My job is just down the street, so it takes around 5 minutes to walk there :P

I wouldn't really mind commuting, though.

Caraliz
06-11-2008, 06:35 PM
my dad has to commute about an hour to work every day and a little more than an hour and a half on the way home. i feel bad for him, but then, i don't mind driving either.

i will probably have to commute to work, at least like 10-20 mins when i get a job. :(

Peegee
06-11-2008, 07:38 PM
I remember this commute when i was in Hong Kong. I would wake up early, stumble over to the subway, and take a subway that goes to the busy section of town. Take another subway that takes me to the south, and then another subway that takes me to work. Then i would have to get out to the surface and walk down a block to work. At least I had morning snacks ^_^

Total time: about an hour. On a subway. WTF

Tallulah
06-11-2008, 10:41 PM
I have about a 35 minute walk to work. It's cool.

I'm thinking of changing jobs; that would be slightly closer.

Jess
06-12-2008, 02:57 AM
I drive to work at 8pm, and it takes me about 20 minutes and but then I don't finish work until 2.30am or 3.30am so when I drive back it takes between 10-15 minutes.

Driving to college takes longer for me, which takes 30-45minutes depending on the traffic in the morning. That's only 'cause of traffic though, otherwise it'd take about 20 minutes.

I don't mind, though. I love driving with my music turned up loud and singing along like an idiot, or listening to Chris Moyles if it is in the morning. :jess: only problem is the cost of petrol. ughughugh.

I'm happy with the distances I have to go to get to work, because it's nothing like my Dad has to do. He works abroad, so each week he'll travel from England to anywhere in Europe and then back again for the weekends.

Breine
06-12-2008, 08:50 AM
I remember this commute when i was in Hong Kong. I would wake up early, stumble over to the subway, and take a subway that goes to the busy section of town. Take another subway that takes me to the south, and then another subway that takes me to work. Then i would have to get out to the surface and walk down a block to work. At least I had morning snacks ^_^

Total time: about an hour. On a subway. WTF

Man, that sounds loco.

Levian
06-12-2008, 10:16 AM
It's a 20 minute drive, but I don't have a car, so it's 30 minutes with train and an hour on foot. Maybe I should get a bike.

Heath
06-15-2008, 12:38 PM
As I don't drive, I commute to work every day. I get a bus up to town or walk there for eight. Get a train into another town at eight and get off the train at about quarter past eight to get a bus at twenty past. I then get off the bus and walk to ASDA to buy my lunch before walking to work and getting there for about quarter/ten to nine. As for getting home, I have a choice between an hour long bus journey and walking for twenty minutes or a ten minute train journey and then walking for half an hour if I leave work at half four rather than five. As my boss understood that that half an hour made a difference of an hour to me getting home, she lets me leave at half four to get home at half five. I should really learn to drive. It's only a summer job and the pay's good (£7 an hour, so about $14), so I don't mind doing it just over the summer while the weather is nice.

rubah
06-15-2008, 12:40 PM
right now, I ride the bus for about fifteen minutes

o_O
06-15-2008, 01:30 PM
I drive an hour to get to work and an hour to get home every day. It's always in traffic, so I use it as time to myself and like to turn my music up extremely loud.

Sometimes I adjust my day by an hour to miss the traffic if I don't feel like sitting in it. :p