PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question...

Wolf Kanno
06-12-2008, 02:44 AM
I've started going through XI now that I acquired Broadband. Unfortunately, I've never really played MMOs very much so I'm completely clueless. My question is (and this is really dumb) can I get any tips on how to chat between players more efficiently. I had another player talking to me and I was so slow to respond cause I was trying to figure out how to reply that he lost interest. :cry:

Miriel
06-12-2008, 02:54 AM
When someone sends you a /tell, if you hit ctrl+R it'll automatically enter the /tell "Person you last messaged you" command in the chat box. Alternatively and more slowly, you can simply just type it out. So if I message you, and you want to respond, just type "/tell Miriel text text text" to respond.

Jessweeee♪
06-12-2008, 03:37 AM
I didn't know about the Ctrl+R thing Miriel, thanks xD

Wolf Kanno
06-12-2008, 03:59 AM
Thank you! Too bad I'm dead...

oddler
06-12-2008, 04:01 AM
Crtl+R is an angel. :choc2:

Del Murder
06-12-2008, 04:57 AM
If you want to chat with one person for a long time you can also enter '/chatmode tell "person"' then whenever you enter text it will automatically be a tell to that person. This works with '/chatmode party', etc.

Rostum
06-12-2008, 05:12 AM
If you want to chat with one person for a long time you can also enter '/chatmode tell "person"' then whenever you enter text it will automatically be a tell to that person. This works with '/chatmode party', etc.

You can also shorten it if you want, '/cm p' or '/cm t' or '/cm l'.

Wolf Kanno
06-12-2008, 05:26 AM
Thank you all for your help :D

Jessweeee♪
06-12-2008, 06:41 AM
Whoa, those are nifty! I knew there was a shorter way to do all of this stuff!

After playing for 5+ hours straight, I keep typing /l in front of everything S:

oddler
06-12-2008, 07:03 AM
I actually think it's faster to type /l just because it was a habit I started early. Typing someone's name was a real chore sometimes though so I used Ctrl+R for tells. I usually kept chatmode on party.

strawberryman
06-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Another secret, < r > typed without spaces displays the last person that messaged you.

dodhungry
06-13-2008, 07:13 AM
lol i got into a very bad habbit of /l a while back and had a stream of really intersting MT's going on :rolleyes2

Carl the Llama
06-23-2008, 09:54 PM
also if you want to tell someone that has a really long name you can /t <t> which will tell your current target also works well with macro's for instance /ma Cure <me> with <me> being yourself or if in party then you can target any one of your party members and the macro would be /ma Cure <t> , that will cure the targeted person now we can get into the slightly more complex is the provoke macro it would look somthing like this:

/ja Provoke <t>
/wait 15
/p Provoke ready in 15
/wait 15
/p Provoke ready

that is my standard provoke macro now when doing 1 word moves such as provoke you can just put the word in without any adjustments but with 2 word moves ie Cure II/Wasp Sting when placeing the word in the macro you need to put " at the begining and end so it would look like this
/ma (for magic ability)

/ma 'Cure II' <me>

by now you must have surely come to the conclussion that with macros its reall easy to learn what you need to put before it but if you havent ill put it here for you /ma (magic) /ws (weapon skill) /ja (job ability) pretty simple when you think about it, hoped this helped =)

Wolf Kanno
01-02-2009, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the advice people, quick question.

When do I really need to start getting people to join me for group stuff?

Del Murder
01-02-2009, 08:29 PM
At level 10 you can start partying in Valkurm Dunes but these days you'll level faster if you just solo to 15 or even 20. Since you're new I'd recommend that you party at 15 though to get the hang of it.

At level 18 you'll need some people to help you get the items to allow you to have a support job.

At level 30 you'll need some help to unlock an advanced job if you choose to do so.

At level 50 and every 5 levels after you'll need people to help do the limit break quests to raise your level limit.

All throughout that time you'll be needing people to level up with of course, and to do rank missions.

Wolf Kanno
01-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks, I'm a bit lost with the missions right now but leveling has been pretty fun. What level do I need to be to change job classes?

Del Murder
01-03-2009, 02:35 AM
You can change to any of the initial jobs any time you want, but you will start from level 1 if you haven't leveled that job before. To do the advanced jobs (which are most of them) you will need to do a specific quest and you must be level 30 to start it.

Mirage
01-03-2009, 03:21 AM
Don't make macros with lots of unneccesary text in them.

Personally, i hate stuff like "Cure 2-> Playername". If it matters to you, there is a battle log message saying the exact same thing, and if it matters to you, you can change the colour of these log messages to be easier to notice in your config menu. Same goes for weapon skills and other job abilities. The text scrolls fast enough in battle already, 50 extra lines of redundant text is just annoying.

On the other hand, it's a good idea to have a status macro that you can use to tell people how much TP, HP and MP you have, to remind them that you are either ready to use a weapon skill (if you skillchain with someone, which sadly is a bit rare these days), are in urgent need of healing, or need to rest for more MP.

Also, some advanced job quests can easily be done solo at level 30, someone can be soloed at 30 with some difficulty, and some you'll absolutely need help with when you're level 30. Samurai and Ninja belong in the last category, for example, while ranger can easily be soloed and doesn't involve any fighting at all.

Which server are you at, Wolf Kanno?

Wolf Kanno
01-03-2009, 04:59 AM
Thanks for the good info.

I'm on Odin server with a good friend of mine. I've been playing again recently but I haven't bothered him to play with me yet. I was hoping to do some serious leveling and get a few minor quests out of the way before he and I started partying together.

Del Murder
01-03-2009, 08:11 PM
I love excessive text macros.

'Light of the heavens, scorch the eyes of my foes and blind them in their rage towards me...{Flash}!'

Also:

The best Boost macro ever. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/chilicheese/boost.jpg)

Mirage
01-03-2009, 09:45 PM
I would have kicked you from my party, Del.