PDA

View Full Version : Mega Man 9? You bet.

Roto13
06-13-2008, 08:47 PM
The Classification Board and Classification Review Board (http://tinyurl.com/6glcq3)

The title "Mega Man 9" has been registered by Capcom as a title for a multiplatform video game. Yes, Mega Man 9, as in the sequel to Mega Man 1-8, is on it's way. To Australia. :P And probably everywhere else.

JKTrix
06-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Now this would have been relatively appropriate to post as the Judge :p

Flying Mullet
06-13-2008, 10:03 PM
I would love to welcome another title to the original Mega Man series. I think I'm going to have to go play some Mega Man 2 now.

Ramza Beoulve
06-13-2008, 10:14 PM
*DIES*
*REVIVES*

Sorry, but...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!

...*ahem* Good news indeed.

Wolf Kanno
06-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Thank god! :eek::D:eek::cool:

NeoCracker
06-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Didn't really like the MEgamans until X 1-3, didn't like the ones after that.

Except Command mission, that game was good fun, albeit rather basic and simplistic. :p

Vermachtnis
06-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Sweet. Best news I've heard all week!

Zeromus_X
06-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Dang. I never thought they'd make a new classic game. Well, this makes me quite happy. :)

Crossblades
06-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Wow o.O

I was under the impression that Mega Man & Bass was Mega Man 9. Oh well, this is good news indeed =)

Dreddz
06-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Considering I only really like the first three games for the NES I cant say im that excited about a 9th Megaman. Hopefully they can stray away from the X style of Megaman and go backs to its roots. What they'll have to do im not sure as I havent played a Megaman in about 9 years.

KentaRawr!
06-14-2008, 03:55 PM
I liked the X Games from 1 to 3, and I liked a bit of what I played of Megaman. Hey, now that there's a Megaman 9, I guess X means 10 now! :p

Anyway, I hope they keep it in a Megaman style, but do something to make it long besides just adding new bosses in classic Megaman style. They need to do something new, but not a gimmick, like having to collect stuff or anything. An alteration to the formula that keeps the old Megaman action.

>_>

Depression Moon
06-14-2008, 06:03 PM
I never played any of the old mega man's I know in the recent past they've been pulling mega man games out the wazoo, but I probably still wouldn't take a chance on this one. Not because the last ones I heard were bad, just because I'll be too concerned about the games that I know i'll like.

Momiji
06-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Let's hope they don't fuck it up, though.

Awesome news either way, however.

Ryth
06-14-2008, 07:10 PM
I'd be happier if this thread about Mega Man Legends 3.

This is cool too, though.

Krelian
06-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Sweet! I thought the original series was pretty much dead. I'm glad to see I was wrong. I only hope they won't change the old formula. Adding some new stuff is fine as long as it doesn't end up in something like Battle Network or that other new series whose name I forgot. Something with Dragon? Whatever.

Creeping Shadow
06-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Well its about damn time Capcom!:p

JKTrix
06-17-2008, 01:01 PM
A Capcom USA beta tester calling himself 'The Shadow' provides some details
Protodude's Rockman Corner: Rockman 9: 'The Shadow' Speaks (http://protodudesrockmancorner.blogspot.com/2008/06/rockman-9-shadow-speaks.html)

Rumour.

JKTrix
06-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Double Post For the Confirmation Win.

According to Wired (http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/06/omg-retro-style.html) (and a site (http://www.rockmanpm.com/) they link to), Nintendo Power confirms that Rockman 9 is coming to Wii Ware.

Roto13
06-26-2008, 08:15 PM
And at least one part of that rumour has been confirmed true. It's going to look exactly like the old NES games. It's also going to be released on all three consoles' respective download services. Also, the names of the Robot Masters have been announced. One of them is a Robot Mistress. :P

Mega Man 9 Goes Back To Your Roots. Way Back. - 61 Frames Per Second (http://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/61fps/archive/2008/06/26/mega-man-9-goes-back-to-your-roots-way-back.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage)

Momiji
06-26-2008, 08:29 PM
And at least one part of that rumour has been confirmed true. It's going to look exactly like the old NES games. It's also going to be released on all three consoles' respective download services. Also, the names of the Robot Masters have been announced. One of them is a Robot Mistress. :P

Mega Man 9 Goes Back To Your Roots. Way Back. - 61 Frames Per Second (http://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/61fps/archive/2008/06/26/mega-man-9-goes-back-to-your-roots-way-back.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage)

Capcom, I love you. :heart:

Krelian
06-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Good lord, when I was smaller I came up with some of my own Robot Masters, among them Jewel Man(!) and Plug Man(!). And I thought only I could come up with a name like Plug Man because of my bad English back then... XD Capcom stole my Robot Masters!!!11

But seriously, I'm so going to buy this one :cool:

Karellen
06-27-2008, 04:33 AM
Capcom's ability to rehash the same game over and over again just became awe-inspiring.

Ramza Beoulve
06-27-2008, 05:48 AM
If it gets to playstation network I'll go on a kill spree just because of the happiness :hyper:

Roto13
06-27-2008, 05:59 AM
It's also going to be released on all three consoles' respective download services.

Momiji
06-27-2008, 06:25 AM
Capcom's ability to rehash the same game over and over again just became awe-inspiring.

Wrong. They just went back to when Mega Man games were good-- before they started milking the franchise.

Karellen
06-27-2008, 06:30 AM
The "let's start out with a good concept, perfect it in the second game and reharsh it another 3-4 times" routine started in the NES days.

Momiji
06-27-2008, 06:33 AM
Yes, but that's when the games were best if you ask me. The X series is okay, but I like the original more. Don't even ask about all of the further knockoffs based on knockoff anime series (or is it vice versa?).

Ramza Beoulve
06-27-2008, 07:15 AM
It's also going to be released on all three consoles' respective download services.*goes on a kill spree*:shoot:

Rengori
06-28-2008, 03:41 AM
Damn, news like this makes me wish I had something better than a PS2.

Fuck I need to get with the times.

Roto13
06-28-2008, 08:11 PM
This is pretty cool, too. Mega Man 7 remade in the style of a NES game.

IndieGames.com - The Weblog - Remake Game Pick: Rockman 7-FC (Mend) (http://tinyurl.com/5q5quw)

Krelian
06-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Awesome. I have to try this.

Bolivar
07-01-2008, 02:56 AM
Wrong. They just went back to when Mega Man games were good-- before they started milking the franchise.

I'd hate to start adversity in a Mega Man thread, but this "milking the franchise" garbage has become so cliche it seriously needs to be filtered out along with curse words on this site. I'd prefer playing Mega Man 8 and X5 just as much as any other game in the franchise, so don't tell me the NES was "when MM games were good". Not to mention that this:

I'd be happier if this thread about Mega Man Legends 3.

This is cool too, though.

is something i agree with completely. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy as hell that this game is being released, but like I said, we already got 13 main games+ of basically the same content, I would like a new addition to this highly addictive and underappreciated spin-off series.

Ichimonji
07-01-2008, 03:35 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed both the Mega Man and Mega Man X series. And even though MMX1 is my all-time favourite Mega Man game in the entire franchise, I enjoyed the original MM series as a whole, a hell of a lot more. Because unlike the MMX series, I thought every entry in the MM series were wonderful. I thought MM8 was beautiful and an excellent addition for the series. That being said, I’m not too excited for this game.

When I first heard about MM9 and how it was going to stick to its traditional 2D roots, I so thought that it would play off of MM8 and work up from there, or even just stick to MM8 standards, and that got me excited. But then realizing that it was going to play off the MM1-6 style, my excitement began to wear thin. Don't get me wrong, I loved the old school MMs and I even enjoy playing them today, but a brand new numbered addition to the series in NES format is kind of like a slap in the face to me. Waiting eleven years for the next MM game and it being this is a disappointment imo. However, I will buy it and play it, and I’ll more than likely enjoy it too. It’s just disappointing for me is all.

Momiji
07-01-2008, 04:38 AM

I'd hate to start adversity in a Mega Man thread, but this "milking the franchise" garbage has become so cliche it seriously needs to be filtered out along with curse words on this site. I'd prefer playing Mega Man 8 and X5 just as much as any other game in the franchise, so don't tell me the NES was "when MM games were good".

Here we go again, someone takes my opinion and makes it seem as though I was saying it as fact-- as if your opinion is fact as well.

It's true: I do think the Mega Man games were best back in the NES days. That's why I said so. The X games are okay as well. Anything past that is what I'd consider 'milking the franchise'. I don't care if you don't like the phrase, it is what it is whether you like it or not. This is the part where all of the knockoff games from knockoff anime series come in, like Megaman.exe/Battle Network 1 - (is it 6 or 7 now?). That isn't to say they're bad games, it's just that the entire franchise is running dry at that point and the whole Megaman idea becomes stale. The same thing happened with Final Fantasy VII-- VII itself was a decent game, but with an incredibly irritating fanbase. Since it was so popular, Square-Enix decided it would bring them lots of money if they cranked out a bunch of knockoff games and movies pertaining to VII. It's a smart marketing move, after all, but the less time they spend on making the games just so they can release them significantly diminishes their quality-- giving those of us who aren't hopeless fanboys/girls the desire to facepalm, then headdesk multiple times. The Mega Man name is no different. The Mario name is no different. Dried-up ideas should just die so new ones can be formulated.

Again, none of what I said is to be taken as fact. I say this because I'm sure someone here will blow up on me for disagreeing with them-- so what I say is my own opinion, and I don't care if you agree or not.

EDIT: Hey, this is my 4000th post. It's a shame I had to waste it on a rant. :p

Roto13
07-01-2008, 06:38 AM
So apparently Capcom made a mistake when they announced it for all three consoles. It's going to be a WiiWare exclusive.

Retro-themed Megaman 9 to hit WiiWare (http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/06/27/megaman-9-to-be-the-first-game-to-hit-wiiware-xbla-and-psn)

Raebus
07-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Awesome news.

Rengori
07-01-2008, 11:01 AM
So apparently Capcom made a mistake when they announced it for all three consoles. It's going to be a WiiWare exclusive.

Retro-themed Megaman 9 to hit WiiWare (http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/06/27/megaman-9-to-be-the-first-game-to-hit-wiiware-xbla-and-psn)

Damn, now I have to get a Wii for Megaman, a PS3 for Disgaea 3, and a 360 for everything else.

JKTrix
07-01-2008, 02:50 PM
In the Nintendo Power issue, creator Keiji Inafune did say "We’re not just giving you Mega Man 9, we’re giving you a new NES game." That adds some solidity to it being a Nintendo exclusive, however unlikely it may seem.

Roto13
07-01-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm still having flashbacks of Resident Evil 4 and Viewtiful Joe being Game Cube exclusives. xP But the Wii is the dominant console this round, so it's more likely they mean it this time.

Ramza Beoulve
07-01-2008, 04:53 PM

Retro-themed Megaman 9 to hit WiiWare (http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/06/27/megaman-9-to-be-the-first-game-to-hit-wiiware-xbla-and-psn)*Goes on a vicious kill spree in despair*

Bolivar
07-02-2008, 10:28 PM

I'd hate to start adversity in a Mega Man thread, but this "milking the franchise" garbage has become so cliche it seriously needs to be filtered out along with curse words on this site. I'd prefer playing Mega Man 8 and X5 just as much as any other game in the franchise, so don't tell me the NES was "when MM games were good".

Here we go again, someone takes my opinion and makes it seem as though I was saying it as fact-- as if your opinion is fact as well.

It's true: I do think the Mega Man games were best back in the NES days. That's why I said so. The X games are okay as well. Anything past that is what I'd consider 'milking the franchise'. I don't care if you don't like the phrase, it is what it is whether you like it or not. This is the part where all of the knockoff games from knockoff anime series come in, like Megaman.exe/Battle Network 1 - (is it 6 or 7 now?). That isn't to say they're bad games, it's just that the entire franchise is running dry at that point and the whole Megaman idea becomes stale. The same thing happened with Final Fantasy VII-- VII itself was a decent game, but with an incredibly irritating fanbase. Since it was so popular, Square-Enix decided it would bring them lots of money if they cranked out a bunch of knockoff games and movies pertaining to VII. It's a smart marketing move, after all, but the less time they spend on making the games just so they can release them significantly diminishes their quality-- giving those of us who aren't hopeless fanboys/girls the desire to facepalm, then headdesk multiple times. The Mega Man name is no different. The Mario name is no different. Dried-up ideas should just die so new ones can be formulated.

Again, none of what I said is to be taken as fact. I say this because I'm sure someone here will blow up on me for disagreeing with them-- so what I say is my own opinion, and I don't care if you agree or not.

It's ironic that you accuse me of taking what you say as fact and not opinion when you explicitly use the phrase "it is what it is whether you like it or not" in the same post. Slightly less humorous (but just as ironic) is when you claim you're not commenting on quality, when you have already explicitly and implicity stated that the games were better before they started over-producing. If you want to talk game quality, we can bring up how double jumping, ducking, sliding, jumping off walls and different plot structuring were all brought in to make newer games fresher and more exciting.

Then you go on about game companies rehashing stale ideas for the sole purpose of money. When we've already brought up Mega Man Legends - one of the most underrated and underappreciated games I've ever played, which brought a new engaging spin on both story and gameplay. I never implied you state your opinion as fact, just how it's basically regurgitated cliches with little to no merit. Sorry.

Wolf Kanno
07-05-2008, 12:07 AM
As long as the series creator is working on it, its going to be pretty solid IMO. Although, the way they are discussing this tells me its going for more of a nostalgic feel rather than a continuation of the story. Here I was hoping we could finally see how we went from Rock to X but that might not be the case.

KentaRawr!
07-05-2008, 02:23 AM
I'd rather know how Dr. Light had all that free time to make, like, a million X suits.

Wolf Kanno
07-05-2008, 03:26 AM
What the hell does Dr. Light do besides sending Rock out to fight his battles? ;)

KentaRawr!
07-05-2008, 03:48 AM
Apparently make suits for a robot he had no idea was going to exist! :p

Momiji
07-05-2008, 04:48 AM

It's ironic that you accuse me of taking what you say as fact and not opinion when you explicitly use the phrase "it is what it is whether you like it or not" in the same post. Slightly less humorous (but just as ironic) is when you claim you're not commenting on quality, when you have already explicitly and implicity stated that the games were better before they started over-producing. If you want to talk game quality, we can bring up how double jumping, ducking, sliding, jumping off walls and different plot structuring were all brought in to make newer games fresher and more exciting.

Then you go on about game companies rehashing stale ideas for the sole purpose of money. When we've already brought up Mega Man Legends - one of the most underrated and underappreciated games I've ever played, which brought a new engaging spin on both story and gameplay. I never implied you state your opinion as fact, just how it's basically regurgitated cliches with little to no merit. Sorry.

If you opened your eyes and read what I said, I DID say that what I said was my own opinion, but I suppose a one-track mind hellbent on proving others wrong won't permit such actions. Also, (slightly more humorous) I DID say the NES era of the games were the best, but yet again, that was an opinion and you're getting so bent out of shape over it. I also said that that does not supposedly mean the later games were bad, I merely said that it was Capcom's attempt at milking the franchise-- and that's where you decided it was a good idea to derail the thread with your misconceptions of what I said. I don't care if you loved the later games or not. I never said they were bad. I'm personally a big fan of the Megaman series in general. I never implied you were incorrect, just how everything you said are antagonistic remarks against my opinions with no merit whatsoever-- none that I see at least.

Furthermore, you cannot tell me that some of the knockoffs are not Capcom's way for a quick dollar-- especially with the Megaman.exe Battle Network series, which is a blatant knockoff of the Corrector Yui anime series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrector_Yui), and there's quite a few of those games. AGAIN, I'm not saying they're bad or that I dislike them, it just seems that Capcom was scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas and it seemed horribly contrived.

Either way, I'm done. I hate arguing with people who always have to be right.

Anyway, to put this thread back on track, I'm quite looking forward to the new game. I can't wait to see what the abilities are like.

JKTrix
07-07-2008, 01:12 PM
First Footage (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x61ltv_mega-man-9-first-footage_videogames)

Not much, but it looks and sounds like Mega Man.

Rengori
07-07-2008, 01:56 PM
First Footage (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x61ltv_mega-man-9-first-footage_videogames)

It looks there's way more interaction with the environment than before. Definitely want to play this.

KentaRawr!
07-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Is the In-Charge Megaman guy still doing the enemy designs? :o

JKTrix
07-07-2008, 05:14 PM
I recall reading some where that 'In-Charge Megaman guy' Keiji Inafune (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiji_Inafune) is doing the character designs.

Edit: The wikipedia article actually says it :P So there you go.

KentaRawr!
07-07-2008, 05:15 PM
The in-charge Megaman Guy hasn't aged well.

Roto13
07-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Clips: Let's Watch The First Mega Man 9 Footage (http://kotaku.com/5022413/lets-watch-the-first-mega-man-9-footage)

Flying Mullet
07-07-2008, 06:13 PM

Way to read the new posts in the thread before posting, Roto. :p

JKTrix
07-07-2008, 06:21 PM
It's reinforcement :P In case someone missed it.

Flying Mullet
07-07-2008, 06:56 PM
But it's more fun to poke the bear.

Roto13
07-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Shut up. Mine had Kotaku.

KentaRawr!
07-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Looks like it'll be fun.

JKTrix
07-08-2008, 02:57 AM
But it's more fun to poke the bear.

I see what you did there...

Song Summoner wtf I can't buy it because I live in Bermuda bleargh

Roto13
07-10-2008, 05:35 PM
So there's buzz that the game will feature downloadable content (http://gonintendo.com/?p=48939). Just like the NES games!

Bolivar
07-10-2008, 09:12 PM
If you opened your eyes and read what I said, I DID say that what I said was my own opinion, but I suppose a one-track mind hellbent on proving others wrong won't permit such actions. Also, (slightly more humorous) I DID say the NES era of the games were the best, but yet again, that was an opinion and you're getting so bent out of shape over it. I also said that that does not supposedly mean the later games were bad, I merely said that it was Capcom's attempt at milking the franchise-- and that's where you decided it was a good idea to derail the thread with your misconceptions of what I said. I don't care if you loved the later games or not. I never said they were bad. I'm personally a big fan of the Megaman series in general. I never implied you were incorrect, just how everything you said are antagonistic remarks against my opinions with no merit whatsoever-- none that I see at least.

Furthermore, you cannot tell me that some of the knockoffs are not Capcom's way for a quick dollar-- especially with the Megaman.exe Battle Network series, which is a blatant knockoff of the Corrector Yui anime series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrector_Yui), and there's quite a few of those games. AGAIN, I'm not saying they're bad or that I dislike them, it just seems that Capcom was scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas and it seemed horribly contrived.

Either way, I'm done. I hate arguing with people who always have to be right.

Anyway, to put this thread back on track, I'm quite looking forward to the new game. I can't wait to see what the abilities are like.

I'm glad you've adopted a more passive tone, but again, your statement "It is what it is whether you like it or not" kind of delegimitizes everything you say about "opinion" and illuminates the irony of you suggesting I didn't read your post, since I'm showing how your own words invalidate you. You shouldn't accuse someone of stubbornness when it's so blatant that you're not the one listening to the other person.

In Momiji's spirit of putting the thread back on track, I have to say the gameplay emulates the relative and frustrating restrictiveness on movement present in the NES games. If that is their goal, then they seem to have achieved it, although I'd be more inclined to play some of the later X games I never got to try.

Dreddz
07-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Capcom are awesome for doing this. I wonder if they are actually using NES hardware to make this game. I mean the sprites were even blinking, now that's old school.

Roto13
07-11-2008, 01:58 AM
@ Momiji and Bolivar: Get a room

New information! Whoo!

First off, it looks like both Mega Man 1 and 2 will be released on the Virtual Console soon. I'm assuming they mean in North America, since they're already out in Europe and they were already announced for Japan. I'm really excited about that. I have the Mega Man Anniversary Collection, but it's the crappy Game Cube version with the reversed A and B buttons.

Secondly, Capcom have changed their minds again, and Mega Man 9 will be released for all three current gen consoles.

IGN: Pre-E3 2008: Mega Man 9 Trailer and Details (http://wii.ign.com/articles/888/888041p1.html)

Momiji
07-11-2008, 02:05 AM
@ Momiji and Bolivar: Get a room

:twak:

New information! Whoo!

First off, it looks like both Mega Man 1 and 2 will be released on the Virtual Console soon. I'm assuming they mean in North America, since they're already out in Europe and they were already announced for Japan. I'm really excited about that. I have the Mega Man Anniversary Collection, but it's the crappy Game Cube version with the reversed A and B buttons.

Secondly, Capcom have changed their minds again, and Mega Man 9 will be released for all three current gen consoles.

IGN: Pre-E3 2008: Mega Man 9 Trailer and Details (http://wii.ign.com/articles/888/888041p1.html)

Oh cool, I can't wait to get Mega Man 2 on VC!

@Bolivar: I said I was done. I'm not arguing with someone who always has to be right.

Ramza Beoulve
07-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Secondly, Capcom have changed their minds again, and Mega Man 9 will be released for all three current gen consoles.Now I really want to kill someone :mad2:

They are just playing with my emotions :cry:

Krelian
07-11-2008, 09:11 AM
I suspected it. Pretty lame from Capcom to confuse us about the platforms, though. Did they get a bonus from Nintendo to say that or something? I don't see a point to their previous statement it would be Wii-exclusive.

JKTrix
07-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Sounds kind of like the company I work for... the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Communication got mixed up somewhere.

Anyway, the music. Love it!

Krelian
07-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Found this on another forum XD

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n122/pikoeri/mega.jpg

I'll still get the 360 version, even if the D-Pad isn't the best.

Rase
07-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Mega Man 9 Interview with the games producer. (http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3168726)