PDA

View Full Version : Planning classes.

Rye
06-14-2008, 03:10 AM
I just went to my college orientation and I made my first semester schedule, it was so fun to do. I'm taking 3 music classes (intro to music business, music theory, music convocation), Gen Psychology, Intro to Math (easiest math class, so I can get that credit done with) and... because I had to give into my ridiculous WEE-A-BOO desires, Basic Japanese. :ichigo:

I like my schedule a lot, I think it's really good for someone like me. Math sucks, because it's a credit that I need to get out of the way, but Psych, Japanese, and Music are all great. <3

I especially like it because my classes are all after 10 am, and end by 2 PM, so I have the morning, evening, and night all free. :kaoclove:

Tell me about your next semester schedule, if you made it yet, or the one you want to make!

Kirobaito
06-14-2008, 03:16 AM
This fall I only have three classes, 12 hours of credit. :D!

Medieval Scottish History
East Asian Civilization
Introduction to Medieval Europe

My classes run Tuesday and Thursday from 10-11 and 3-5, and Friday from 10-11 and 3-4. I have Mondays and Wednesdays off.

Bahamut2000X
06-14-2008, 03:26 AM
My college is on quarters and I don't plan to attend Summer quarter. In the fall though I plan to take the next level of Math that I need (or if they would post grades I will know if I made it to the next level :eep: ) and then I'll just probably work on more basic credits that I have to take. That's about all my college is good for anyways.

Dolentrean
06-14-2008, 03:29 AM
16 credits, fridays free, nothing before 10! :D I am very very happy.

Jess
06-14-2008, 03:44 AM
I don't have one. Two more weeks of college and then I'm done! Forever! :jess:

I'll be doing an OU degree course after, so I will literally be studying whenever I have the time/when I'm not at work - with no set times which will be great. ^_^

Madame Adequate
06-14-2008, 03:50 AM
I'll know what my schedule is like approximately one day before I start classes. :jess:

And no, when you start at 10am, you don't have mornings free, because you don't have mornings.

Rye
06-14-2008, 03:52 AM
And no, when you start at 10am, you don't have mornings free, because you don't have mornings.

Well, unlike some people like you who are total divas and need to sleep all day, walking up at 8 am is great for me.

Kirobaito
06-14-2008, 03:57 AM
I'll know what my schedule is like approximately one day before I start classes. :jess:

I seriously considered changing my schedule so I wouldn't have to get up in time for a 10 AM class, because that's... so early.

Madame Adequate
06-14-2008, 04:04 AM
See? He knows what's up. 12pm is the earliest class I had this last year and it was pushing it.

Then again, everyone I hang out with except one dude lives at least five timezones retardwise, so I'm up until 4am just hanging with folks!

Damn colonials... :mad:

Shoeberto
06-14-2008, 04:09 AM
God, I fucking hate non-engineers.

:D?

Rye
06-14-2008, 04:41 AM
God, I smurfing hate non-engineers.

So many of the dudes in my orientation group were engineers!

Why do you hate us non-engineers though, man? My heart is breaking in two!

qwertysaur
06-14-2008, 04:45 AM
I am transferring, so my scheduale is all messed up still. It looks like I'll be taking

Calculus 1 Honors (I wanted to take 3 but they are going to force me to take 1 & 2 first:( They won't accept AP credits, easy A though)
English 109 Honors unless the credits from my old college transfer.
Hebrew 101 - Looking forward to this one.:D
Karate - Yay a new martial art!
Physics Honors- They don't accept AP Credits, oh well another easy A.

15 credits. :p

rubah
06-14-2008, 10:32 AM
God, I smurfing hate non-engineers.

So many of the dudes in my orientation group were engineers!

Why do you hate us non-engineers though, man? My heart is breaking in two!

because you get the luxury of taking classes like 'butterfly dancing 3003' or 'history of the blog as an artform 2015' while we're struggling through 'Statics 2003' 'Thermodynamics 3003' 'Differential Equations 1,000,000' Also, we can never have days "free" because we simply have to take a million hours just to make sure that we know enough to take the next classes. (also to maintain scholarship requirements for me but that's another story xD) See the <a href="http://www.maa.org/mathland/mathtrek_2_1_99.html">Tacoma Narrows Bridge</a>. My high school math teacher had a motivational poster of it with 'the engineer missed one day of trig' or something like that xD I made up a roadmap of the classes that are ultimately prerequisite for all the other classes we mechEs will have to take. There was one huge group (prereq was thermodynamics), and two others that weren't quite as large but still pretty complicated (intro to materials, I think, and statics) Also stu's first semester of classes started at 7:30 every day. next semester mine will start at 9:30 every day, I forgot what his is

But we knew what we were getting into, its just hard to remain objective when you're going to classes for 16 hours a week and doing homework for another 10.

My classes~~~~~~~~~
Linear Algebra (my uh, "easy class")
Cal III
Statics
Intro to Materials
Intro to CAD (I'm hoping this won't be lame. we mech Es were "supposed" to take this solo cad exploration class they just made, but it wasn't on ISIS when I made my schedule, so I'm taking the one we "used" to have to take, so there'll be all these CSCEs and non mechEs in there I guess xD)

Rye
06-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Yeah, y'all have a lot of hard work. ;;

But don't get me wrong, Music Ed is pretty hardcore too. The way my college does it, they don't give you so much the first semester, so you get eased in, but I'm going to have to take an assload of classes, since I need something like 140 credits to graduate for that. The way Music Ed is done, it's almost a double major in and of itself, because you have to take your ton of performance/diction/recital/theory and other such classes, and then you have to take a ton of psychology classes, so that you can actually teach. And then you have to take those classes for learning all the instruments/vocal parts and such, even if you're not doing that in your concentration of Music Ed. And then you have your Gen Eds. And you also have a lot of student teaching and evaluation involved into it as well. You're also required to be in music ensembles.

So, it's not insanely complicated math stuff, but it is difficult in it's own right. :bigsmile:

Zeldy
06-14-2008, 12:49 PM
I just get given a time table for college, I think, I don't decide it myself. Wednesday afternoons are always free for enrichment though. I'll be taking English Literature, Media Studies, Psychology and Photography when I start/finally settle on a college :jess:

Also, 10am classes suck. When I have an exam at 11, I have to get up at 9am :(

Jings
06-14-2008, 01:16 PM
What's all this moaning about 10am classes? For the past three years I've had 9am classes, and since it takes me 90 minutes to get to university I have to get up at a pretty diabolical time in the morning. :mad2:

I don't know what I'll be doing in fourth year, I remember filling out the honours choices form but for the life of me I can't remember what I picked.

Denmark
06-14-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm planning on taking a History class this summer (HIST 12 - Survey of Europe Since 1648 - July-August) which will be M/W 4-7PM.

HOWEVER! Come the end of August, I will have this beast of a schedule:

CSE 109 - Systems Software - MWF 8:10-9:00, Th 9:20-10:35 - The hardest class I'll have is also my first class four days a week! Thursday's a recitation I believe, but that's also the only thing I have Thursdays :(

MECH 2 - Elementary Engineering Mechanics - MWF 10:10-11:00 - A dumbed down version of basic Statics, for non-MechE's. Fulfills a requirement. My easy class.

ECE 123 - Electronic Circuits - MWF 11:10-12:00 - Kind of just a little important.

ECE 121 - Electronic Circuits Lab - Tu 10:45-11:35, 1:10-4:00 - Lab goes along with class!

HIST 110 - American Military History - WF 2:35-3:50 - So long Humanities requirement!

Wheeeeeeeeee.

Shoeberto
06-14-2008, 03:33 PM
So, it's not insanely complicated math stuff, but it is difficult in it's own right. :bigsmile:
That does sound like it can get pretty heavy. I'm mostly just jealous because between my class schedule and job I'm basically busy 9-5 every day! But it could be worse, I could be starting at 7:30 every day... again.

I'm going to be taking Cal III, Digital Techniques I, some fundamental programming class (I forget its title), and Honors Foundations of Astronomy or whatever. All of them have labs, which is kind of the killer, since for every class it adds 2-4 extra hours per week I have on my schedule. And then there's work, which is gonna be mixed between presenting seminars to and just hanging out with freshman engineers for 8-12 hours a week, which prolly won't be too bad.

Randgris
06-14-2008, 05:29 PM
I have never planned a my class schedule cause it was already fixed. I was always a 'regular' student. Only irregulars student get to choose their classes

rubah
06-14-2008, 05:44 PM
what did you study randgris? and where? Manila?

Randgris
06-14-2008, 05:53 PM
No. I took BS Civil Enginnering in Bulacan. Sadly, I'm an undergrad (only took three years). But I'm planning on studying again, not sure of my course though. I really wanted to study in Manila. Be an independent person for a change. Maybe I'll take Psychology or any computer related course.

I'm applying as a call center aganet for the meantime. I decidd to do something worthwhile, for a change. Maybe I'll be successful in this and hopefully go abroad. Wish me luck. A whole lot of luck.

You know it really feels good to do something 'mature' for a change.

P.S. I would really, really appreciate if the people here calls me by my IRL nickname, Eric.

rubah
06-14-2008, 05:56 PM
okay eric :) I just wanted to know because I had a friend that went through nursing school and obviously, your country is small enough that you would happen to know the precisely one person that I do xD

where would you go abroad to?

Randgris
06-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Not sure yet, but I do plan on visiting or possibly moving to either one of these locations:

Europe: Paris or London
USA: NYC or San Francisco

I'm still surveying the states via wiki (and USA is a big ass country, gonna take me some while)

Well Manila is still a large place. What I do know is that UST (University of Sto. Tomas) specializes in medical courses.