PDA

View Full Version : Tell me some interesting facts

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-18-2008, 02:59 AM
I'll start.

Margarine is only one molecule away from being PLASTIC. (or something of the like)

snopes.com: Butter, Margarine and Heart Attacks (http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp)

Rye
06-18-2008, 03:32 AM
In Rhode Island, they call water fountain "bubblers."

Also, their American Cheese is not yellow, but white.

What am I getting myself into?

Dynast-Kid
06-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Mozzarella cheese originally came from water buffaloes!

The planet Pluto (whatever, dwarf planet), was named by an 11-year old girl from England.

Isadora Duncan, a famous American entertainer, was strangled to death when one of her extremely long scarves got caught in her car's wheel. ;__;

Barack Obama is a Leo! <333

Aerith's Knight
06-19-2008, 07:58 AM
The Dutch were the biggest slave traders in the golden age.

The Dutch founded NY and the dozens of other dutch-named cities in new york state.

There used to be horse testicles processed in hot dogs.

The plastic ending on your shoe is called a sock.

A kamikaze pilot wears a helm for some reason.

An ejector seat in a helicopter is a bad idea.

Lawr
06-19-2008, 08:00 AM
Silver and Orange do not rhyme with any other word in English.

Apocolocynposis is the fear of turning into a pumpkin.

Anybody who isn't born in April is not as cool as those born in April.

Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people do.

This (http://www.dysan.net/weird/show/646.html) page is also interesting!

Did I do it right?

Breine
06-19-2008, 08:50 AM
- It's impossible for pigs to look up in the sky.

..there that's it. The only "interesting" fact I know is about pigs.

Cloudane
06-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Urine is only 1 molecule away from Carling or Carlsberg.

Everyone who grew up in the 80s has entered the digits 55378008 into a calculator.

You never know where to look when eating a banana.

It's impossible to look cool whilst picking up a Frisbee.

Triangular sandwiches taste better than square ones.

Everyone always remembers the day a dog ran into your school.

fire_of_avalon
06-19-2008, 01:54 PM

Bubblers? xD

Rye
06-19-2008, 03:42 PM

Bubblers? xD

Yes! They say "I'm going to go to the bubbler."

It's so cute, but so weird.

Rantz
06-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Rye is only one molecule away from being Pineapple Pie.

Shoeberto
06-19-2008, 03:56 PM

According to my friend, Long Islanders think that upstaters say "orange" weird because they don't pronounce it or-RANGE-uhs
(it is going to be hilarious when I help him move out there and get to hear his girlfriend's family talk)

Jojee
06-19-2008, 03:58 PM

THEY DO THAT TOO IN WISCONSIN I HATE THEM DIE DIE

DIE

Balzac
06-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Four states in America aren't states, they're commonwealths. But you all knew that already knew that.

rubah
06-19-2008, 04:34 PM
is new hampshire one of them?

Rye
06-19-2008, 04:36 PM

According to my friend, Long Islanders think that upstaters say "orange" weird because they don't pronounce it or-RANGE-uhs
(it is going to be hilarious when I help him move out there and get to hear his girlfriend's family talk)

I pronounce it "awwwringe", like "cawfee" and "dawg" and other things of that sort. :bigsmile:, and I live on the island. I'm not from here originally though, I'm from Queens.

Apparently, we're very nasally. When I was up in RI, we were all making fun of each other's accents, and I got teased for saying "class" like "clayyyysss", all nasally.

What part of Long Island are you coming to, Mister Hsu? Or is her family coming to you?

Yar
06-19-2008, 04:55 PM
I love useless facts! :D

Did you know... ?

...that "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis" is the longest English word.

...that if you put a $20 bill (American) in the microwave it will always catch fire in the same place, under Jackson's right (or your left) eye.

...an i's dot is called a "tittle."

...in the correct German pronunciation, Dr. Seuss' should be pronounce "Soyss."

That's all I've got for now.

Shoeberto
06-19-2008, 05:02 PM

I pronounce it "awwwringe", like "cawfee" and "dawg" and other things of that sort. :bigsmile:, and I live on the island. I'm not from here originally though, I'm from Queens.

Apparently, we're very nasally. When I was up in RI, we were all making fun of each other's accents, and I got teased for saying "class" like "clayyyysss", all nasally.

What part of Long Island are you coming to, Mister Hsu? Or is her family coming to you?
I honestly have no clue. About all I know is that it's somewhere in the state of New York and that my friend's girlfriend's mom likes to watch Lawr and Oruhduh. I dunno if that pronunciation puts any locations in your mind.

rubah
06-19-2008, 05:13 PM
I love useless facts! :D

Did you know... ?

...that "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis" is the longest English word.

...that if you put a $20 bill (American) in the microwave it will always catch fire in the same place, under Jackson's right (or your left) eye.

...an i's dot is called a "tittle."

...in the correct German pronunciation, Dr. Seuss' should be pronounce "Soyss."

That's all I've got for now.
who has enough money to be wasting twenty dollar bills like that when they could be giving them to me, huh?

Rye
06-19-2008, 05:17 PM

I honestly have no clue. About all I know is that it's somewhere in the state of New York and that my friend's girlfriend's mom likes to watch Lawr and Oruhduh. I dunno if that pronunciation puts any locations in your mind.

Considering I, and most people from downstate NY say it like that, that's a pretty broad range of locations. xD

Evastio
06-19-2008, 06:52 PM
Elephants can't jump.

A duck's quack doesn't echo.

Super Mario Bros. for the NES was released on a Friday the 13th.

Denmark
06-19-2008, 07:43 PM

Isn't that so WRONG? My roommate from the last two years was from the part of Massachusetts that's just to the east of RI and he claimed to be drinking from a "bubbler" when he was drinking from a water fountain. I repeatedly asked him to show me the bubbles. He repeatedly failed.

who has enough money to be wasting twenty dollar bills like that when they could be giving them to me, huh?

SCIENCE!

Lawr
06-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Taxpayers, that's who.

Balzac
06-19-2008, 08:24 PM
A duck's quack doesn't echo.

Lol wrong, watch Myth Busters.

Flying Mullet
06-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Back in the old west, when a man had had too much to drink or the bartender wanted to make the guy leave for whatever reason he would serve him 86 percent proof whiskey, which was considered weak, alcohol-wise, and a lady's drink. The man would be offended and leave(or pick a fight, but you get the idea). Thus, today, when someone is kicked out of a bar or cut off from a bar, they are "Eighty-Sixed".

"Give them the whole nine yards!" has nothing to do with (American) football. Back in WWII, one of the battleship guns(I don't remember which one) took a ammunition belt that was nine yards long. When in battle, soldiers would often cry, "Give them the whole nine yards!" meaning "Give it everything you've got!" Nowadays people say "Give it the whole nine yards." when they mean "Put 100% of your effort into it."

Cloudane
06-19-2008, 09:55 PM

Interesting. I always thought it was Floccinaucinihilipilification, but you're right, that's just the longest non-technical word.

Also Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu is the longest officially recognised place name.

I believe the longest place name in the UK is Llanfairpwyllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwlllantysiliogogogoch in Wales - and if I spelt that right from memory, that's not bad as I learned it about 15 years ago when visiting there as a youngster :D

Lawr
06-19-2008, 10:04 PM
It's actually spelled Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll llantysiliogogogoch. But you were close.
(Two L's where it splits.)

Big D
06-20-2008, 02:15 AM
Urine is only 1 molecule away from Carling or Carlsberg.

Everyone who grew up in the 80s has entered the digits 55378008 into a calculator.

You never know where to look when eating a banana.

It's impossible to look cool whilst picking up a Frisbee.

Triangular sandwiches taste better than square ones.

Everyone always remembers the day a dog ran into your school.xD All true:D

Interesting fact: You might've heard the phrase, "to get the wrong end of the stick". The origin of this phrase is fascinating, though nauseating. It comes from the sanitary conditions on old sailing ships. They didn't have toilet paper, and instead a stick was used. If you went to pick it up and instead "got the wrong end of the stick", it wouldn't be a very pleasant experience and your mood would not be favourable.