PDA

View Full Version : Desktop

Killy
06-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Just now I was upgrading to AVG anti-virus 8. Rebooted and now my desktop is missing.

I have no start menu, no icons no nothing. I am able to run internet explorer by going into the system tray and launching it from there.

My Windows XP cd is currently MIA, but I should be able to burn myself a copy even with my computer crippled.

Okay, so now that I am done writing this message, everything just appeared (star menu and icons). However they seem to be running at a snail's pace. I cannot click on anything and expect a resonable timeframe.

Any suggestions?

Edit:
Now it seems I can do everything just fine as long as I dont try to interact with anything related to my desktop or the start menu bar, they run slow as hell.

Shoeberto
06-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Maybe run a full virus and spyware scan. I've never heard of AVG having problems on people's computers like that; at least not AVG Free. The commercial version might lock your computer down pretty bad (a lot of antivirus programs are doing that these days, unfortunately). If you are using AVG Pro or whatever they call the one you have to pay for, try going into the options and see if you can find anything about it being on high security that might lock your PC down. Other than that, I'm at a loss; all I can think of is some sort of spyware/malware that might've gotten on your PC that would be making just things like the desktop and start menu go at a snail's pace.

Killy
06-18-2008, 07:14 PM
I dont think it could be that, internet was off while I did the change, I dont think anything could have gotten in.

At least I am lucky, I got a new hard drive yesterday, so I can backup all of my stuff right now. I managed to burn myself a copy of XP anyway.

Edit: Windows XP Repair option failed, I was wondering if there is a good way to copy files so I dont have to bother with "this file is currently in use" while backing up my C: drive.

Flying Mullet
06-18-2008, 08:10 PM
This is a long shot, but I know the new "protection suite" my wife's computer has asks her to approve all registry changes, firewall access, etc... I wonder if there's some settings, approvals, etc... that you need to accept or approve in your new anti-virus program that might be blocking some things from showing. It's unlikely, but it's the best I can think of at the moment.

I'm guessing you've searched online for answers too.

Killy
06-18-2008, 08:18 PM
No sucess online.

But since I got a new drive, I just want to backup ALL of my files on my C: drive (so I can sort them out later). Unfortunatly, everytime I try to backup an inportant folder (such as document and settings) it wont let me because some files are in use. Ntbackup will not run at all. Does anyone know of a way to copy files and ignore files currently in use, or something like that?

Reinstalling windows is not a problem for me, but I dont want to lose my files.