PDA

View Full Version : Elder Scrolls Oblivian makes me feel like a bit of a nerd

darkchrono
06-19-2008, 03:54 AM
That game makes me feel like a nerd sometimes. I am just as interested in reading the literature in the game as I am in doing the quests. Recently I was in this ladies house in Chorral and I started reading a title called 'The real story of Barenziah'.

Well the lady had most of the different books to the story but was missing one. So when I got to volume 4 (the one that was missing) I rumaged through the entire town looking for volume 4 of that series thinking to myself that I couldn't go on with the game until I finished reading the 'Real story of Barenziah'. Well I ended up going to the bookstore when I couldn't find volume 4 anywhere else and spending money not on weapons or armor but on volume 4 of the 'Real story of Barenziah'

Just shows you how immersive that world is though when you are just as interested in reading the literature in the game as you are in actually doing quests in the game.

Captain Maxx Power
06-19-2008, 11:44 AM
A lot of the literature in Oblivion has been present in the Elder Scrolls game for several iterations. Nearly every book in Oblivion, for example, can be found in Morrowind as well. I know what you mean though, it's a sign of a really interesting and engaging world when you're desperate to find out more details about it. I've always wanted to find out more about a world if their are less details about it e.g. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, often scouring the landscape for any clues as to what a world was like.

JKTrix
06-19-2008, 01:08 PM
That's actually one of the things that I remember the best about my stint with Oblivion. One of the favourite ones that I found was a story about a man whose daily conversations all progressed in alphabetical order and wanted to fix it. I was a little less interested in the 'lore', but the funny one-shot stories were usually amusing.

darkchrono
06-23-2008, 02:28 AM
One thing I find a little disappointing about the game is that basically every single Chappel and Castle in it is very similar to eachother.

Maybe back in the middle ages most castles and town chappels were similar in structure to castles and chappels in other towns. But given the fact that people didn't travel very far outside of their own home area I would doubt it.

If they created an entire world full of different landscape I don't see why they couldn't have just put in some structural variety amongst the different castles and chappels in towns. They have different furnishings from eachother but basically the structure of the buildings are about the same to one another.

Madame Adequate
06-23-2008, 03:03 AM
That's actually one of the things that I remember the best about my stint with Oblivion. One of the favourite ones that I found was a story about a man whose daily conversations all progressed in alphabetical order and wanted to fix it. I was a little less interested in the 'lore', but the funny one-shot stories were usually amusing.

The Lusty Argonian Maid is one of the best.

Vyk
06-25-2008, 03:43 AM
Unfortunately I don't own the game. My brother does. So whenever I get a chance to play it. I can't spend a lot of time stopping to smell the flowers. My nephew recently stole it, against my brother's will. Once its back I'll borrow it and actually take time to enjoy it. Though I'm almost Lv 30 and barely touched the main quest o_O so I've spent a lot of time just wandering around doing random stuff as it is. I'll look into the stories

Værn
06-25-2008, 05:04 AM
Typically, I'd say that if you're involved with any games that involve fantasy game of the swords-and-sorcery subgenre, you're a nerd.

I think I'm going to have to get that game whenever I get my new computer =D

Moon Rabbits
06-26-2008, 03:00 AM
The fact that you post on a Final Fantasy message board should set of nerd alarms more than Oblivion.