PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy X PAL?

Goldenboko
06-20-2008, 02:49 AM
Anyone know where someone from North America could get a PAL version of FFX? I already tried Amazon, they won't ship here, and Ebay I have to wait on one bid, and I'd like to have a backup plan.

Rostum
06-20-2008, 04:58 AM
Have you tried Play-Asia (http://www.play-asia.com/)?

Goldenboko
06-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Have you tried Play-Asia (http://www.play-asia.com/)?

Thank you! *Worships*

Now I just have to wait till my brother's done working to steal his credit card! *Worships you again*

Krelian
06-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Why would you want to have a PAL version of FFX? Because of the bonus stuff? I don't know if it's worth a squished picture :(

Goldenboko
06-20-2008, 07:51 PM
9 Bosses and all the extras provides me with more then the amount of gameplay time I'd get from other games I haven't played before :D

Krelian
06-20-2008, 07:55 PM
I recommend the Japanese 'International Version' if you want the extra stuff. But if you still go for the PAL version, then you should be prepared for a slower gameplay and squished picture. I played the US version of the game first and when I saw the PAL version I was shocked. It didn't run as smoothly and all the character portraits looked horrible.

Goldenboko
06-20-2008, 08:26 PM
I am getting the Japanese version cause thats whats on that site. As long as you can put it in English, you can do that right? (I thought I should check that before buying xD)

Krelian
06-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Buy Final Fantasy X International (Ultimate Hits) (PS2) - Order Now! (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-43-77-6-49-de-15-final+fantasy+x-70-1pie.html)
This one, right? The normal version doesn't seem to be available anymore. Well, it does say it's in English =)

Goldenboko
06-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Sweet, totally buying this once I get my hands on a family member's credit card :D

Rostum
06-20-2008, 11:38 PM
I recommend the Japanese 'International Version' if you want the extra stuff. But if you still go for the PAL version, then you should be prepared for a slower gameplay and squished picture. I played the US version of the game first and when I saw the PAL version I was shocked. It didn't run as smoothly and all the character portraits looked horrible.

Weird, I have seen the NTSC version and own the PAL version and I don't see any difference at all (except that I have the extra content). Perhaps try ordering the Australian PAL version.

By the way, you do realise NTSC is inferior compared to PAL, right? PAL have more natural frame rates, and if going by my Australian PAL version, there is no "squishing" involved with the picture - and it runs smoothly and not slow. Perhaps it was to do with your TV or PS2, or something?

Krelian
06-20-2008, 11:53 PM
In theory PAL is superior, I know. But that doesn't help if the game is developed with NTSC in mind and doesn't get adapted to the PAL format. Are you sure with your comparison? I not only saw it myself, but also read about it in magazines and remember heated forum discussions when the game was released. The game has black bars at the top and bottom as you would expect from a game that doesn't make use of PAL's higher vertical resolution and is also slower than its NTSC counterpart. I can't imagine that Australia got its own PAL version. It's also likely that you'll never think that anything might be wrong with the picture if you don't know the NTSC version. Since you do know it there was either some time between you seeing the NTSC version and compared it to the PAL one or the Australian PAL version is indeed different from the European PAL version, which would be odd, to say the least.

Rostum
06-21-2008, 12:56 AM
Hmm, it is odd. I just ran up a save file on FFX and I have no black boarders. It is possible I have a different PAL version, seeing as I don't even have any other languages apart from English on it. And I know it's PAL because for one it says so, and two it has all the extra stuff.

Hmm.

Krelian
06-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Weird. Anyone else have an Australian or UK PAL version who can tell us about their version? I'm pretty sure that the German PAL version has black bars. I think there's no other language than German on it, too. So I guess the UK version would be identical to the Australian version, except maybe, for the black bars.

Goldenboko
06-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Wait, only thing that matters to me right now is, I can deal with picture being lower quality or whatever, but is the game and extras the exact same between the PAL and the one on Play Asia?

Rostum
06-22-2008, 12:22 AM
Just get this one:
Buy Final Fantasy X International (Ultimate Hits) (PS2) - Order Now! (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-43-77-6-49-en-15-final+fantasy+x-70-1pie.html)

It'll have all the extras and even more, plus you can set it to all English mode apparently (at least the description says you can).

Goldenboko
06-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Alright, bookmarked. It'll be bought as soon as my brother lends me his credit card. Thanks, this thread can basically be ignored now :D

Krelian
06-25-2008, 09:00 AM
I'd still like to know if there's a different Australian PAL version or not, but it's okay XD

Rostum
06-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Well, all I know is I don't have the black borders and the game runs just as fast as the American version that I've seen.

Krelian
06-25-2008, 09:46 AM
I'll take your word for it then. Alright, case closed :D

o_O
06-25-2008, 02:21 PM
PAL doesn't run any more slowly than NTSC, nor does it inherently display in 16:9, causing black bars. There is no difference between Australia/NZ PAL and European PAL. PAL simply stipulates the signal frequency and type output by the console - PAL is a 50Hz signal; NTSC is a 60Hz signal.

If these bars are visible then you should be looking at the way the TV processes a PAL signal and possibly the A/V cable as well (not to mention the mod chip in the PS2).

Krelian
06-25-2008, 02:53 PM
It seems you've never seen a video game that's been badly adapted to the PAL format. PAL itself isn't the issue. Of course it's not slower than NTSC in itself. I never said anything about a 16:9 display either.

Back in the NES to PS1 time and even up to the PS2 time (with Dreamcast being a positive exception, bringing almost all of its games with a 60Hz mode) games for the PAL region had several problems. First, PAL has a higher vertical resolution, 625 lines instead of 525 for NTSC. Since most games are programmed in countries with NTSC norm the games have to be converted to PAL format. Sadly, it was the custom to just leave them in their standard resolution, leaving 100 scanlines blank, thus the black bars. You can read more about that and the speed issues here: PAL region - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL_region)

Squaresoft has long been known as a developer that hardly makes any PAL specific alterations to its games, but the situation has improved greatly.

It definitely has nothing to do with the A/V cable or the way my TV handles PAL.