PDA

View Full Version : I've Just About Had Enough With Movies.

Yar
06-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Anymore, I find going to a theatre irritating... :mad:

I usually go with friends for the companionship, but the movies are just getting so ridiculously bad, I don't think I can stands it anymore.

I don't have ADD or anything, but I find trying to sit through a movie over 90 minutes (that seems to be my limit) frustrating, and then I begin watching my clock to see if we're getting anywhere close to being done.

And the movies are just getting worse. I just got back from Get Smart, and while I wouldn't say it was bad, I wouldn't recommend it either. I did see The Love Guru last night, and that just about made me poke out my eyes. The last time I saw a good movie was Juno, and that was back at Christmas.

I hate being around people in a theatre. They always seem to be trying to see how loud they can be without being "loud." Whether it's laughing at an unfunny joke or their irrational reactions to something that isn't surprising, or not realizing that IT'S A FREAKING MOVIE! IT'S NOT REAL!

I'd much rather buy a DVD set of a television show's season and watch it in its manageable 22 minute chunks and not be annoyed by others and their presence.

Anybody else give up on movies, theatre, both, or anything similar?

I Took the Red Pill
06-22-2008, 11:36 PM
No, because I only go see movies that receive positive reviews. I try to see all the films nominated for the Best Picture at the Academy Awards, and other movies that are supposed to be good (like Iron Man, for instance). I would never go see something like The Love Guru, and therefore am not usually disappointed in going to the movies.

Shoeberto
06-23-2008, 12:39 AM
Yeah, I just don't go see movies unless I feel like it's gonna be good, based on reviews and such. I've never really flew blind into a movie.

I've only ever run into a problem with other people in the theater like once before - it was a group of really, really obnoxious kids that yelled at the screen. Luckily it was a big theater and we could move after a few minutes.

Vikeve
06-23-2008, 12:56 AM
I heard from everyone who saw the Love Guru that it sucked so I'm sorry for you and you also make me feel bad cuz the last couple times I went to the movies with my friends we completely fit your description of those obnoxious people.:erm: Although if I ever go see a movie with my friend Katie she makes everyone shut up and not talk because she gets completely sucked into the movie and cries and stuff its funny.

But you know I just recently watched Fight Club again and I remember thinking that it's been a while since I've seen a movie awesome like that. Juno was good though.

Breine
06-23-2008, 09:20 AM
I love going to the movies! There's a huge difference between watching a movie in a cinema and watching it at home on DVD. If possible movies should be watched in a cinema imo.

scrumpleberry
06-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Cinema is great fo' moviefilms. But I think that parties are infinitely more fun squashed up seven deep on a sofa in your pjimmies with blankets and popcorn and doritoes, oh my! watching 10 dvd's in a row until your eyes burn out, keeping your neighbours up and being found snoring in a heap at one o' clock in the afternoon the next day. Tell me you can do that in a cinema.

DK
06-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Well seeing as I'm making it my livelihood, the answer is no. I've seen more amazing films in the last year than I have in my entire life. Just depends where you look.

Bunny
06-23-2008, 05:06 PM
The Love Guru and Get Smart looked horrible in their previews, why would you spend money going to see them? Stupid humor is one of the worst things to go see in the theaters because nine times out of ten, what you see in the previews is just about all there is to see in the movie.

There have been a lot of good movies this year. A surprising amount, actually. Like DK, I have seen more amazing movies in this year than I have in any year ever. Just stop going to horrible ones with bad actors and stupid plots.

Yar
06-23-2008, 05:12 PM
I didn't go specifically for the movie, I went to hang out.

DK
06-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Ask your friends to go to less crappy movies, then. :monster:

Breine
06-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Ask your friends to go to less crappy movies, then. :monster:

Or tell them that next time you'll decide what you're going to watch.

escobert
06-23-2008, 07:45 PM
I cba to go to the movies.

Bunny
06-24-2008, 06:20 PM
I didn't go specifically for the movie, I went to hang out.

Then stop complaining and blaming the industry. It isn't their fault.

Avarice-ness
06-24-2008, 06:53 PM
I normally don't go to theaters, and when I do I tend to sit as far away from people as possible, or go like.. right before it's about to be taken out of the theater.

Very few movies seem good enough for me to pay the money and deal with the people just to see it.

The only movie I want to see in a movie theater in the near future is The Dark Knight.

Moon Rabbits
06-24-2008, 09:12 PM
I prefer movie nights with friends over the theatre for several reasons:

A) Cheaper! Burning a movie to a blank DVD costs a dollar and thirty cents.

B) Cheaper FOOD!

C) No obnoxious people. Movies are full of them and I hate it. Hence, watching movies with just friends at someone's apartment eliminates this.

D) I can smoke while watching the movie.

E) If we wind up hating the movie or not watching all of it, it's not a waste of twelve dollars.

F) We can choose from any movie we can find a torrent for, as opposed to only those in theatres.

Darkmage
06-24-2008, 10:44 PM
If there are any cheaper cinemas out there, that would be a good place to go for better movies. I usually go with friends to a theater that has older movies. Therefore, it costs less. I don't remember ever going to see a bad movie there. They choose from a selection of good movies (and you can watch them for $2.50-3.00).

And always go with friends that make funny comments during the movies, too. That makes the experience more enjoyable.

DMKA
06-25-2008, 01:15 AM
I pretty much gave up the moment I saw this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/af/Disaster_movie.jpg

Jessweeee♪
06-25-2008, 01:24 AM
I think I'll watch Disaster Movie :p

The latest Movie movies haven't been that great, but I'm willing to give that one a shot xD

Get Smart I just saw on Saturday, and I thought it was nice n.n

Iceglow
06-25-2008, 01:41 AM
I imagine something like wanted on my laptop screen and think heck no I wanna see that on the big screen, I also wanna see the new hulk and narnia and probably will see the dark knight since they really surprised me with a decent dc movie last time with begins.

Ryth
06-25-2008, 01:55 AM
I'm just about done with movies as well (if Dark Knight sucks I'm giving up on them forever). If you asked me what good movies came out in the last 2 or 3 years you'd get a blank stare. After the mediocrity and wasted potential of Iron Man, the raping of Prince Caspian, the continuing destruction of the parody genre (Meet The Spartans), and the utter violent butt-smurf that was Indiana Jones... there's just so little to look forward to.

Kenshin IV
06-25-2008, 02:12 AM
There sure is a lot of baw for what really is an easy solution: Watch better movies.

DMKA
06-25-2008, 02:14 AM
There sure is a lot of baw for what really is an easy solution: Watch better movies.

That's the point though, there AREN'T any better movies coming out.

Unless you'd care to name some.

Roto13
06-25-2008, 02:16 AM
Your problem is that you're on the internet, and the only reason anyone on the internet watches movies is so they can complain about them later.

Kenshin IV
06-25-2008, 02:16 AM
You want Summer movies, or closer to Oscar season?

DMKA
06-25-2008, 02:19 AM
Your problem is that you're on the internet, and the only reason anyone on the internet watches movies is so they can complain about them later.

DURR HURR.

You want Summer movies, or closer to Oscar season?

Either.

The last movie I watched and genuinely enjoyed was Kung Fu Panda.

Kenshin IV
06-25-2008, 02:27 AM
Well, I'll go with Summer, since it's harder to talk about movies that are months away. For movies already out; despite what dood above me thinks, Iron Man is one of the better superhero movies you'll see, Indy is Indy, Forgetting Sarah Marshall is the usual Apatow hilarity. This week is Wall-E, and in case anyone's been living under a rock, Pixar doesn't make bad movies. There's still Hellboy, Dark Knight, Pineapple Express, Clone Wars, X-Files.

And how about going back to last year for movies that you should have watched but probably didn't. From Once, Juno, No Country, There Will Be Blood, Knocked Up, Superbad, American Gangster, Eastern Promises, In the Valley of Elah, Sweeney Todd, Ratatouille, Persepolis, Michael Clayton, Hot Fuzz, Away From Her, ect ect ect you should find something for you.

DMKA
06-25-2008, 02:32 AM
Iron Man
Crappy cgi fest, bored me to death.

This week is Wall-E, and in case anyone's been living under a rock, Pixar doesn't make bad movies.
I was really, really looking forward to Wall-E, but now someone supported it and Cars in the same breath so I'm having second thoughts.

The second Hellboy I'm also looking forward to. The rest look like garbage.

And how about going back to last year for movies that you should have watched but probably didn't. From Once, Juno, No Country, There Will Be Blood, Knocked Up, Superbad, American Gangster, Eastern Promises, In the Valley of Elah, Sweeney Todd, Ratatouille, Persepolis, Michael Clayton, Hot Fuzz, Away From Her, ect ect ect you should find something for you.

You just implied Knocked Up is good?

Unless you take that back as a joke, I refuse to take your comments seriously.

Kenshin IV
06-25-2008, 02:33 AM
Yeah, you keep thinking that, ace.

I Took the Red Pill
06-25-2008, 03:38 AM

Unless you take that back as a joke, I refuse to take your comments seriously.I like how you failed to address the phenomenal list he just gave you by cracking a joke and therefore dodged addressing his point completely. Those are all excellent, excellent movies, even Knocked Up (surprise! (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/knocked_up/) one of the most critically acclaimed films in recent cinema!), and with a list that strong I don't see how you can claim no quality movies are being released today.

Fonzie
06-25-2008, 03:47 AM
You're not forced to watch terrible movies. xD

Darkmage
06-25-2008, 04:09 AM
Anyone on here who has nothing better to do than complain should probably lower their standards so they can actually ENJOY a movie. Sure, not all movies are great. But if you paid six bucks going to a movie, you might as well have enjoyed it.

DMKA
06-25-2008, 05:29 AM

Unless you take that back as a joke, I refuse to take your comments seriously.I like how you failed to address the phenomenal list he just gave you by cracking a joke and therefore dodged addressing his point completely. Those are all excellent, excellent movies, even Knocked Up (surprise! (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/knocked_up/) one of the most critically acclaimed films in recent cinema!), and with a list that strong I don't see how you can claim no quality movies are being released today.

And "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp" was the most critically acclaimed original film song of 2006. What's your point? Knocked Up was the Jewish equivalent of all those "HURR WE BE BLACK BLACK BLACKKITY BLACK SO WERE FUNNEE HEHEHEHEH" movies, like Soul Plane.

(also, if you couldn't tell by now I'm being 99% sarcastic.

Carl the Llama
06-25-2008, 08:46 AM
I rarely go to the Cinema... if you want to see somthing interesting try going to the Thearter... I always like what I see on the big stage, seeing it unfold right before your eyes is great. I recently saw Blood Brothers for the first time and thought it was amazeing, REAL people singing with powerful voices always captivates me and you hardly EVER have those obnoxious people because its expencive to go and so people tend to want to see what happens.

That said I only go to the cinema to watch epic films that hardly ever dissapoint (lord of the rings anyone). the only film iv ever been dissapointed with was the 3rd Matrix, which wasnt that bad but it didnt live up to my expectations.

The Unknown Guru
06-25-2008, 11:30 PM
I will only watch comedy movies that involve Seth Rogen or Michael Cera. Anything else, as a general rule, is crap.

However, plenty of incredible movies are being made, as long as you stay away from comedy. The best rule to follow is to watch the trailer. If you don't like it, you probably won't like the movie.

Yar
06-26-2008, 01:26 AM
Actually I retract my statement about seeing no great movies this year. I have seen one. Baby Mama. That was a movie I picked and the gang loved it. I adore Tina Fey, and I think Amy Poehler is great.

I will only watch comedy movies that involve Seth Rogen or Michael Cera. Anything else, as a general rule, is crap.

I hated Superbad. It was too juvenile for my tastes. You draw penises all the time? HAR HAR!

I only saw it because George Michael was in it.

Darkmage
06-26-2008, 02:09 AM
Since this doesn't really seem to be going anywhere other than everyone posting all their faves, I might as well interject:

What is the difference between the theater and the cinema?

Spuuky
06-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Theater is live acting on a stage. Cinema is "motion pictures." That's the "real" difference, although they are used interchangeably.

I hated Juno, so take my opinions with a grain of salt if that's your kind of thing, but Hollywood movies tend to be bloated and awful. There are exceptions, but they aren't common, so don't expect them to be. They make what people will pay to see, not what people respect and appreciate.

It would probably be helpful to know what type of movies you like, rather than just a single example that everyone seems to like for some reason.

I do not attend movies, because the movies I want to watch do not play on large screens very often.