PDA

View Full Version : No, that's not how it goes! Grahh!!!

Flying Mullet
06-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Are there any sayings that people always use wrong and it drives you batty? Either the saying itself is mis-stated or they use it regarding the wrong place or situation?

The one that drive me nuts is when people say, "You can't have your cake and eat it too." Oh, really? Last time I checked, everyone has their cake and then eats it. It's supposed to go, "You can't eat your cake and have it too." You can't eat it and then somehow have it magically reappear.

GRAHH!!!

rubah
06-23-2008, 11:33 PM
I have never ever ever ever heard it the way you said it. The idea of possessing the cake is a long term action. Like you can either have your cake in front of you and look at it and see how pretty and smell how good it is, or you can eat it and taste how good it is, but not the two at the same time. The order doesn't really matter with that phrase. Superficially it might seem that way, but if you work with the idea that you aren't working with a certain chronology, it makes the utmost sense.

I had a pet peeve when i was among people who said it that they would say 'ideal' instead of 'idea' but it's gone away since I am not around people that say it.

TheSpoonyBard
06-23-2008, 11:39 PM
It really annoys me when people say could of/would of/should of instead of could have/would have/should have. I know it may sound like 'of' when you're speaking, but it should be written properly.

Goldenboko
06-24-2008, 12:00 AM
It really annoys me when people say could of/would of/should of instead of could have/would have/should have. I know it may sound like 'of' when you're speaking, but it should be written properly.
Kinda guilty. I say Should've but in a way that sounds like should of. I don't write it like that at least :x

Psychotic
06-24-2008, 12:02 AM
It really annoys me when people say could of/would of/should of instead of could have/would have/should have. I know it may sound like 'of' when you're speaking, but it should be written properly.Precisely what I was going to post.

~*~Celes~*~
06-24-2008, 12:06 AM
I say it and write it correctly thankfully =]

what drives me crazy is their/there/they're and you're/your. People do it wrong SO MUCH and I do it wrong sometimes and it drives me CRAZY!!!

Roto13
06-24-2008, 12:07 AM
"Literally." That's the worst one ever.

"I literally died of laughter!" "I literally puked my guts out!"

It's the strongest argument for controlled breeding I can think of.

Vermachtnis
06-24-2008, 12:08 AM
"It's a glitch!"

No it is not, you did something stupid. Is it just me or does common since not kick in as much as it should. Just earlier I was somewhere else and someone wanted to know where their sword skills went after they started using an axe. Of course instead of putting two and two together they said it was a glitch. And a while ago it was something like, "The desert is glitched!!!! He runs slow in the quicksand!!!!!!"

Goldenboko
06-24-2008, 12:09 AM
Literally can be used well, but not in those instances. There's times where literally should be used.

Ex:
One time my friend kept slapping me till I just started crackin' up. I'd tell that story, "I was literally slapped silly."

You just showed how exaggeration could suck. :P

TheSpoonyBard
06-24-2008, 12:19 AM
Is it just me or does common since not kick in as much as it should.
Typing glitch?

Peegee
06-24-2008, 12:20 AM
"I could care less"

huh?

Yar
06-24-2008, 12:21 AM
...for all intensive purposes.

Vermachtnis
06-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Is it just me or does common since not kick in as much as it should.
Typing glitch?

Umm...no I did that on purpose :D

Roto13
06-24-2008, 12:23 AM
"I could care less"

huh?

That's usually sarcasm.

Denmark
06-24-2008, 12:26 AM
No, it's supposed to be "I couldn't care less". Using "could" doesn't make sense.

People really need to learn how to appropriately use apostrophe's.

oddler
06-24-2008, 12:28 AM

:Oo:

Lawr
06-24-2008, 12:30 AM
"It's a glitch!"

No it is not, you did something stupid. Is it just me or does common since not kick in as much as it should. Just earlier I was somewhere else and someone wanted to know where their sword skills went after they started using an axe. Of course instead of putting two and two together they said it was a glitch. And a while ago it was something like, "The desert is glitched!!!! He runs slow in the quicksand!!!!!!"

Zeldy
06-24-2008, 12:36 AM

:Oo:

you did it wrong DENMARK.

Raistlin
06-24-2008, 01:23 AM
"I could care less"

huh?

YES!

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4267/caringgm4.png

Jessweeee♪
06-24-2008, 01:26 AM
When anyone uses ANYTHING wrong, because then I say it wrong! It doesn't work when people say things right for some reason >.<

Big D
06-24-2008, 01:31 AM
"Literally." That's the worst one ever.

"I literally died of laughter!" "I literally puked my guts out!"

It's the strongest argument for controlled breeding I can think of.
"I could care less"

huh?
...for all intensive purposes.All of these... and more!

Per se. Not: per say, persay, percy, pursy, posie, pussy, or however else people try to spell it.

I hate it when skaters and snowboarders say crap like "My sick http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif is totally ill and phat!!!" It's like they're describing their experience with dysentery.

It bugs me like little else when someone adds an apostrophe to a word like "want". There is no such word as wan't. It makes me wish to break things.

Momiji
06-24-2008, 01:42 AM

Like you?

Anyway, I can't stand that either. I also can't stand it when people use numbers instead of words when writing, especially in things that everyone sees, like commercials on public TV. For example: The announcer is saying "We have thousands of colors of paint to choose from!" and the words on-screen say "We have 1000's of colors of paint to choose from!" I hate that, I hate that, I HATE that. Not only is the apostrophe totally unnecessary, since it indicates a quantity and not a possessive, it's just as easy to write 'thousands'. The only time I ever see such a thing being justified is when it's an unusual number. For example, if I were to say "I was about to buy the DVD box set, but it cost $129.99" it would be written as such, because "I was about to buy the DVD box set, but it cost one hundred and twenty nine dollars and ninety-nine cents" just looks awkward. I guess I'm just picky.

Balzac
06-24-2008, 01:43 AM
It annoys me when people use 'Addicting' instead of 'addictive'. Addicting may be in the dictionary, but it's the wrong fucking use of the word.

Denmark
06-24-2008, 01:51 AM
To everyone:
*facepalm*
I hope there's someone who realized that that was intentional.

Oh, and people saying things like "$400 dollars" is REDUNDANT.

Jessweeee♪
06-24-2008, 01:54 AM
I did :</>D!

Kes
06-24-2008, 04:15 AM
Technically using the apostrophe S to pluralise numbers and letters is a preference thing, and it's not technically wrong. Personally, I prefer using it with letters because of letters like A and I since "As" and "Is" are actually words.

Than/then mix-ups make me very sad.

Also, I cannot stand it when people seem to think "thou" is somehow formal.

Momiji
06-24-2008, 04:30 AM
Technically using the apostrophe S to pluralise numbers and letters is a preference thing, and it's not technically wrong. Personally, I prefer using it with letters because of letters like A and I since "As" and "Is" are actually words.

It still looks awful though, if you ask me. :p

Lawr
06-24-2008, 04:41 AM
Oh yeah, I was going to post that using an apostraphe after numbers isn't wrong. For example: When you talk about multiple years between 1990 and 2000, you say the 90's. Or like if I said in the mid 1960's.

PS. Lol at the tags. "psychotic is a mule"

Samuraid
06-24-2008, 06:20 AM
YES! Too many people abuse English in such a manner.

Also:
Using "advise" as a noun; It's really a verb! "Advice" is the noun, even if you are from the UK.
Using "Infinate" and "definate", instead of "infinite" and "definite", respectively.
"Asterik" or "asteriks" instead of the correct spelling: "asterisk". It's quite simple to say: ASTER - RISK.
"Me to!" instead of "Me too!"
Sentence fragments. :rolleyes2 (Just kidding, haha! Guilty as charged. :p)

Levian
06-24-2008, 07:08 AM
When someone brings up an opinion and someone answers with "who cares?"

Off the top of my head I can think of at least one person who cares in that setting. :p

Roto13
06-24-2008, 07:11 AM
PS. Lol at the tags. "psychotic is a mule"

Pass it on. :P

Quindiana Jones
06-24-2008, 08:40 PM
I could care less.

Unless you end it with something like "but it's such a pathetic thing that the extra effort that I would have to use to actually care less is just not worth putting in."

Then/than mix-ups. "It's bigger then a stoat!" I want you to die.

News reporters using "literally" too much. I understand it's put for exaggeration and stuff, but sometimes you just sound like a dolt. I'll take Jonathon Ross' example of something along the lines of: "Russia have scored again, and the crowds here are literally going mental. What? Have they started screeching like monkeys and eating each others faces?"

Madame Adequate
06-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Language is set and never changes or evolves and should only ever be used according to the precise rules of English as set forth by the Lord six thousand and four years ago.

Quindiana Jones
06-24-2008, 09:39 PM
It should follow my rules.

Big D
06-25-2008, 05:35 AM
Language is set and never changes or evolves and should only ever be used according to the precise rules of English as set forth by the Lord six thousand and four years ago.There's linguistic evolution, then there's deterioration and ignorance. Someone saying "should of" because they think that's what "should've" sounds like is hardly an improvement:p

To add to the topic, I'll recall a few old favourites, some of which have already come up in this thread:

"Ironical prejudism is so addicting!!!"

Denmark
06-25-2008, 05:47 AM
Using "Infinate" and "definate", instead of "infinite" and "definite", respectively.

I've actually seen people use "defiant" when they're trying to say "definite". I kid you not. It tears me up inside.

Gogo
06-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Grammar = law.

People should be punished for not using it properly.

"Off with their heads!"

*slashes peoples head with scythe

Shoeberto
06-25-2008, 07:06 AM

I've actually seen people use "defiant" when they're trying to say "definite". I kid you not. It tears me up inside.
That's actually one of the things I say from time to time to test if people are actually listening/know how it's supposed to be and call me out on it. I also throw out "irregardless" from time to time; it's not that often I get corrected, sadly.

Muhyo
06-25-2008, 04:49 PM
"More easier"

It's noticable to those who know the rule. Please, it's "More easy" or "(Much) easier"

I don't get really peeved because I go to an international school, and people bite their tongue from time to time just to understand our lanuage. But when I see the people who don't listen in thieir english class say and things wrong consecutively, it does make me wonder. Wonder whether they should return to primary school.

smittenkitten
06-25-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm probably one of those people. My grammar is catastrophic! :p

Bowser
06-25-2008, 05:41 PM
I hate it when people use 'legit' to sound cool and don't even use it correctly.

scrumpleberry
06-25-2008, 06:05 PM
That's actually one of the things I say from time to time to test if people are actually listening/know how it's supposed to be and call me out on it. I also throw out "irregardless" from time to time; it's not that often I get corrected, sadly.

I don't correct all of my friends whenever they say something wrong because, frankly, being a 100% grammar nazi makes you a dick. My grammar isn't always impeccable if i'm just talking either.

Peegee
06-25-2008, 07:31 PM
irregardless: a lack of a lack of regard.

I want to see that short film again. Two guys are in an online relationship and one of them is faking being a girl cuz he's gay; he can't tell his roommate cuz he's a homophobe. Then they realize that they are indeed....

roommates

I won't be able to find it again because it was an entry in some chevy movie contest.

Sadface.

omg I found it link (http://youtube.com/watch?v=eFoMfYe0DRU)

The Unknown Guru
06-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Whenever I see apostrophe misuse, I imagine tearing the offender's soul out of their body and crushing it to tiny smithereens.

Also, homophones should be purged from the English language.

EDIT: Nuc-yuh-lur. Bush, I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE you.

rubah
06-25-2008, 11:49 PM
the number of homophones in english is uh, laughable.

The Unknown Guru
06-26-2008, 12:12 AM
the number of homophones in english is uh, laughable.

Yes, but I find it very, very painful when those that do exist are misused. You must realize that it takes a great deal of effort to stop myself from becoming the grammar nazi.

KentaRawr!
06-28-2008, 08:02 PM
"It's a glitch!"

Oh my God, I had to work with two girls for a project during 8th Grade, and whenever they'd do something on their computers slightly wrong, they'd say their computer was jacked up. They'd do it over, and over, and over, and over, and over again! D:< D:< D:<

Grr.