PDA

View Full Version : There are so many things I wish I knew.

Quindiana Jones
06-24-2008, 09:35 PM
I hate not knowing everything. And the fact that I never will know everything.

Right now I'm reading up on Norse mythology (for fun), and it's depressing how little I know about these fantastic stories. And how many things I see and hear on a daily basis that are linked to them. I'd see them even more if I played more Final Fantasy too! :laugh:

Anyway, tell me something you've learned recently. Or link a page of info. about things that you find interesting. Or tell us stuff that you like researching even though you don't have to for lessons or work or anything - you just really want to know.

rubah
06-24-2008, 09:37 PM
<a href="http://www.rubah.net/wilt/">What I Learned Today</a>

if you skip over the last couple of entries, you'll find things I've learned every day since uh, about a month ago

Madame Adequate
06-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Five of the days of the week are named after Norse gods! How cool is that? :D

rubah
06-24-2008, 09:48 PM
thor odin friga and ???

scrumpleberry
06-24-2008, 09:48 PM
I agree with you completely, this thread ought to be pretty fantastical.

Unfortunately, I have nothing interesting to offer atm, but as soon as something piques my interest BAM! I'll post it like a NINJA.

edit: Actually, just in case you didn't know, in the old testament God split the Babylonians up by giving them all different languages so that they couldn't understand one another, because they were squabbling when they were trying to build the Tower of Babylon (which was, of course, supposed to be a tower reaching all the way to heaven). That's how the different languages were formed according to the old testament.

double edit: I think it's the moon: actually, i have no idea what tuesday is, i'll have to look that up: Odin: Thor: Freya: Saturn (who's Roman, obviously): and then just the sun. Or something to do with Jebus or something.

Quindiana Jones
06-24-2008, 09:55 PM
I fucking love religious legend and myth. I kid you not. If I was told that I could have full knowledge in one subject alone, it'd be that. <3

Levian
06-24-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm very fascinated by islands, so today I've been reading up on and seen pictures of the Orkneys, Jersey and the Falklands.

thor odin friga and ???

tuesday would be ty's day. I don't think there's a fifth one, though,

Old Manus
06-24-2008, 10:02 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Sun_and_VY_Canis_Majoris.svg

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/d/0/c/d0c1be0d9acf1d3b29220d6136549af3.gif

well I think it's pretty cool

rubah
06-24-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm very fascinated by islands, so today I've been reading up on and seen pictures of the Orkneys, Jersey and the Falklands.

thor odin friga and ???

who is ty? he wasn't in American Gods ;.;;;;

Chemical
06-24-2008, 10:56 PM
I dig Old Manus' Betelgeuse.

I've been watching a lot of Animal Planet recently and yesterday while I was watching the Jungle episode I learned about a particular fungi known as <b>Cordyceps fungus</b>. Thisa fungi, when mature, releases a highly infective spore into the air where it is picked up by insects. The funus infects the insect, taking over its motor and neurological pathways which causes the insect to move to higher grounds. The fungus then feeds on the insect as it dies and decays and matures to eventually release spores thus continuing the cycle. Each fungul species specializes on a specific insect species and has been known to wipe out entire colonies.

http://moduleblog.nus.edu.sg/photos/lsm1303/images/10558/444x375.aspx
http://www.utexas.edu/courses/zoo384l/sirena/species/fungi/fungus_moth.jpg
http://www.utexas.edu/courses/zoo384l/sirena/species/fungi/cordyceps_campanotus%20.jpg

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCOQ0VU24xw">Cordyceps Fungus on Youtube</a>

Quindiana Jones
06-25-2008, 12:14 AM
It's the Flood.

Miriel
06-25-2008, 12:20 AM
I recently read the book The Price of Admission : How America's Ruling Class Buys Its Way into Elite Colleges - and Who Gets Left Outside the Gates (http://www.amazon.com/Price-Admission-Americas-Colleges-Outside/dp/1400097975/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214349678&sr=8-1
) and learned a lot about the college admissions process. It really was a great read.

In general, I'm fascinated by social structures and inequality. Especially living in America, things like race, poverty, gangs, etc, are really prevalent in our society. So just learning about the root of all these things is really interesting to me. Especially since most of the time, popular conceptions of these things are vastly different from the reality or truth of the matter.

Balzac
06-25-2008, 02:34 AM
I learned that platonic love can exist between two grown men.

Dr. Acula
06-25-2008, 05:33 AM
I'm a mythology nerd too, Quin.

Today I learned.... uh, nothing new. But the other day I read the first Harry Potter book in French. The French word for "Hufflepuff" is "Poufflesouf", how cute is that???

Goldenboko
06-25-2008, 05:34 AM
This makes me think of the Morgan Freeman's character in The Bucket List.

Avarice-ness
06-25-2008, 06:00 AM
I dunno. I'm like a reference nerd so anything in non-fiction is interesting to me.

I'm more interested in what is making my house smell really bad right now. I'll get back to everyone on that one.

Dynast-Kid
06-25-2008, 06:07 AM
I'M AN ASTROLOGY NERD, AND WANT TO KNOW EVERYTHING.

Did you guys also know that each day of the week is assigned a (astrological) planet?

Sunday = The Sun
Monday = The Moon
Tuesday = Mars
Wednesday = Mercury
Thursday = Jupiter
Friday = Venus
Saturday = Saturn

Neptune, Uranus, and Pluto don't have days because they weren't discovered way back then!

Also, Hilary Clinton is a TRIPLE SCORPIO. @_@

Breine
06-25-2008, 09:18 AM

thor odin friga and ???

It's Tyr and not Ty.. I think?

Also, I thought Friday was named after Freja?

But seriously, I know much more about Greek mythology than I know about Norse xD I should really read some more about it.

Levian
06-25-2008, 10:41 AM

thor odin friga and ???

It's Tyr and not Ty.. I think?

Also, I thought Friday was named after Freja?

But seriously, I know much more about Greek mythology than I know about Norse xD I should really read some more about it.

Odin is probably the only one spelled the same in all languages :p Frøya, Odin, Tor, Ty.

rubahz: Ty is the god of war. He was the only one tuff enuff to put his hand in Fenrir's mouth.

rubah
06-25-2008, 05:29 PM
That's purdy tuff.

Frigg is the highest goddess of the Æsir, while Freyja is the highest goddess of the Vanir. Many arguments have been made both for and against the idea that Frigg and Freyja are really the same goddess, avatars of one another. [19] Some arguments are based on linguistic analysis, others on the fact that Freyja wasn't known in southern Germany, only in the north, and in some places the two goddesses were considered to be the same, while in others they were considered to be different. [20] There are clearly many similarities between the two: both had flying cloaks of falcon feathers and engaged in shape-shifting, Frigg was married to Odin while Freyja was married to Óðr, both had special necklaces, both had a personification of the Earth as a parent, both were called upon for assistance in childbirth, etc.

Breine
06-25-2008, 05:39 PM
That's purdy tuff.

Frigg is the highest goddess of the Æsir, while Freyja is the highest goddess of the Vanir. Many arguments have been made both for and against the idea that Frigg and Freyja are really the same goddess, avatars of one another. [19] Some arguments are based on linguistic analysis, others on the fact that Freyja wasn't known in southern Germany, only in the north, and in some places the two goddesses were considered to be the same, while in others they were considered to be different. [20] There are clearly many similarities between the two: both had flying cloaks of falcon feathers and engaged in shape-shifting, Frigg was married to Odin while Freyja was married to Óðr, both had special necklaces, both had a personification of the Earth as a parent, both were called upon for assistance in childbirth, etc.

Nice to know that I'm not the only one confused xD

smittenkitten
06-25-2008, 05:41 PM
I learned how to figure out Sequences recently. Oh and I'm currently trying to figure out how Photoshop works. :)

Rantz
06-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Odin is probably the only one spelled the same in all languages :p Frøya, Odin, Tor, Ty.

In Swedish he's Oden, though. :)

My grandma actually wrote a great novel whose story revolves around Norse mythology, I learned pretty much all I know about it from there. I find Baldr's story (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldr) to be the most interesting.

Quindiana Jones
06-25-2008, 07:48 PM

Haha, ditto. I know pretty much everything from Gaia creating Uranus to Pandora being Zeus' idea of a really great punishment to Man. Y'know, her being a woman and all. Always makes me lol.

rubah
06-25-2008, 07:53 PM

My grandma actually wrote a great novel whose story revolves around Norse mythology, I learned pretty much all I know about it from there. I find Baldr's story (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldr) to be the most interesting.
is it on amazon? or better yet, at faylib.org?

Rantz
06-25-2008, 08:32 PM

Oh no it's pretty obscure. And in Swedish. Want me to send you a copy? :greenie:

Chemical
06-25-2008, 08:34 PM
I'M AN ASTROLOGY NERD, AND WANT TO KNOW EVERYTHING.

Did you guys also know that each day of the week is assigned a (astrological) planet?

Sunday = The Sun
Monday = The Moon
Tuesday = Mars
Wednesday = Mercury
Thursday = Jupiter
Friday = Venus
Saturday = Saturn

Neptune, Uranus, and Pluto don't have days because they weren't discovered way back then!

Also, Hilary Clinton is a TRIPLE SCORPIO. @_@

Same could be said about some of the months.
Although others were named after rituals, leaders and numbers.
(So really each day of the week comes from a God's name aswell).

January - Janus (God of the doorway)
February - Februa (purification ritual)
March - Mars (aka Aries)
April - Aphrilis (aka Aphrodite)
May - Maia (Goddess of Fertility)
June - Juno (aka Heidies) (I think)
July - Julius Ceaser (A God in his own mind who created this month in his honour)
August - Augustus
September - 7
October - 8
November - 9
December - 10

Peegee
06-25-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm an obsessive philosophy lunatic. I learn new things all the time. Boring, impractical things.

Speaking of impractical things, I also managed to get too invested in learning about sociology; specifically mating patterns. Must...stop..but..so...interested.

Bah.

rubah
06-25-2008, 09:19 PM

Oh no it's pretty obscure. And in Swedish. Want me to send you a copy? :greenie:

as long as you translate it first 8)

Rantz
06-25-2008, 09:25 PM

as long as you translate it first 8)

Bahahahahahaha. Hahaha. Ha. :chuckle:

rubah
06-25-2008, 09:54 PM
okay fine, I'll get my friend who lives in sweden to do it.

(her name is Tanja)

Rantz
06-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Tell her I said hi.

The Unknown Guru
06-25-2008, 11:17 PM
I learned that sumo ninjas would be really, really awesome.

Yes, I watched that movie.

rubah
06-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Tell her I said hi.

Done.

Rantz
06-25-2008, 11:48 PM
Tell her I said hi.

Done.

Did she seem, uh, interested? Is she single?

rubah
06-25-2008, 11:52 PM
She is involved with a man, but i think that their relation is at least half open. she published a book called "Phone Phucker" recently.

Rantz
06-26-2008, 12:02 AM
She is involved with a man, but i think that their relation is at least half open. she published a book called "Phone Phucker" recently.

Oh my GOD. :irked: What sort of guy does she think I am? :mad2:

edit: also, odin's spear was called gungnir and never missed its target

rubah
06-26-2008, 12:59 AM
He had two ravens called huginn and muninn (thought and memory)

Madame Adequate
06-26-2008, 01:16 AM
thor odin friga and ???

Tuesday = Tyr's Day
Wednesday = Odin's Day
Thursday = Thor's Day
Friday = Frigg's Day
Saturduhhh... http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif. Uh. Balderdashday = Baldur's Day? okay fien four days of the week I forgot about Saturday >_>

The Gjallarhorn will be sounded by Heimdall to herald Ragnarök!

Breine
06-26-2008, 08:52 AM

Haha, ditto. I know pretty much everything from Gaia creating Uranus to Pandora being Zeus' idea of a really great punishment to Man. Y'know, her being a woman and all. Always makes me lol.

Haha, I never thought about it like that xD I wish I knew that a year ago so I could point it out in my Ancient History & Culture class.

rubah
06-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Hi!

It is Oden here. As far as I know.
That settles that afaiac

Rantz
06-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi!

That settles that afaiac

Oh Tanja, how wisely you clear our doubts when our minds are clouded.

Today I learned a good way to position light sources in 3D modelling. 3 in front, 1 on the back, the middle front one higher and stronger than the others. Unless you're doing a full scene with determined light sources, of course.

Quindiana Jones
06-26-2008, 07:33 PM

Haha, I never thought about it like that xD I wish I knew that a year ago so I could point it out in my Ancient History & Culture class.

Well, it wasn't just that she was a woman. Before her, everyone was male, if I remember correctly? So Zeus made this total hotty so the guy's would all love her and therefore love Zeus (this is after they've all got pissed for him removing fire after Prometheus gave us it). However, Pandora had one thing the men didn't: the Box (lol, vagina slang), and a sense of curiosity. Two things then. And some fear and surprise thrown in as well.

Anyway, Pandora had enough of this Box she wasn't allowed to open, and thought "Oh balls to this! I'm gonna open it!" Then all hell breaks loose before she can gather her wits and SLAM! The box shuts. The silly bitch shut the box on the face of Hope, which was left inside unfortunately. :(

This is the version I know, but I am aware that there are a gazillion variations.

Balzac
06-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Hi!

That settles that afaiac

Oh Tanja, how wisely you clear our doubts when our minds are clouded.

Today I learned a good way to position light sources in 3D modelling. 3 in front, 1 on the back, the middle front one higher and stronger than the others. Unless you're doing a full scene with determined light sources, of course.

Just make sure you don't have shadows turned on with them all. I've seen people do that and it looks nasty.

I learnt a clever trick to model breasts in 3d lastnight. Using a sphere and soft selection. Funny that I'd never thought of that before.