PDA

View Full Version : Foods you'd miss!

Shoeberto
06-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Inspired by a very awesome girl who is studying abroad atm!

If you had to go away to a country whose diet was very different from yours, what domestic foods would you miss the most?

For me, it'd be macaroni and cheese, mashed potatos, and Mountain Dew (because apparently no one outside North America gets it, which sucks). All of those have been like staples for me since I was little so I'd be missing them pretty bad.

Clouded Sky
06-25-2008, 06:41 PM
I was in Japan for 2 and a half months. I really, really missed mashed potatoes!

rubah
06-25-2008, 06:43 PM
you get puréed potatoes instead, stu baby. they're very similar. (especially the way my mom makes mashed potatoes)

things i miss:
my dad's soup
soup in general (with meat in it anyways)
doritos
dr. pepper
cheap generic products from walmart

Things I will miss:
comte cheese
lentil/pea soup
the water boiler (for tea)
really really really good pizza (really fresh)

Peegee
06-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Anywhere where I cannot get pocky I die within the hour.

Dynast-Kid
06-25-2008, 06:51 PM
I think most people can agree on the Mashed Potatoes. xD

I'd miss Porkchops...And Cheeseburgers. Y'know, all the good and fattening stuff! I don't know how good cheeseburgers are outside of America!

I'd miss Blue Bell Ice Cream too! ;_;

Miriel
06-25-2008, 06:52 PM
When I travel, I try really really hard to dive into the food culture of that area. Even if it means walking blocks outside the touristy areas and eating at places that are nearly 100% locals only, and where they can barely understand a word you say. So I might miss some stuff, but not terribly. I don't realize how much I miss something until I get BACK to my home. And then it's like, god damn I need some In-N-Out!

Yeah, three of the things I miss the most when I travel is kimchi, seaweed, and In-N-Out.

Dolentrean
06-25-2008, 06:54 PM
In-N-out = win!

Shauna
06-25-2008, 06:57 PM
I don't think I'd miss anything. Although, I'm thinking about my own experiences with going abroad - when I go to Spain, I tend to try and eat Spanish foods, but if I really wanted to have a completely British meal... I could just go to the local British restaurant and get something from there. Not that I ever would.

But, I would miss haggis. As if that would be a delicacy in many places! :(

smittenkitten
06-25-2008, 06:58 PM
When I went to Tenerife I missed Galaxy and other chocolates. All I could find was german chocolates for some reason. They were good but not as good as Galaxy. :heart:

rubah
06-25-2008, 07:14 PM

They call it "Pocket" in france.

qwertysaur
06-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Matzo-Ball Soup. it's chicken soup, but better.:p

Zeldy
06-25-2008, 07:20 PM
When I went to Tenerife or any Spanish country, I missed Dr Pepper sooo much, as I literally have 2 or 3 cans of it a day, so to go to Spain where you can't find them anywhere it was a huge shock to me xD

I found them in one little shop in Tenerife, I was so ecstatic! I never could find that shop again though.

food I'm not really fussed about, I only ever eat British food! I hate mashed potato also, eww.

Heath
06-25-2008, 07:25 PM

Azns need pocky like the rest of us need oxygen? Well slight exaggeration. I don't think I could go an hour without oxygen...

This is going to sound terribly silly but I think I'd miss chips. Horridly bad for you, but they're just something I really enjoy to have now and again. And I mean proper chippy chips, none of these ridiculous 'fries' that the rest of the world considers equal to chips.

Also: HP Sauce and mild, white, crumbly Cheshire cheese. But not together.

Peegee
06-25-2008, 07:27 PM
In Hong Kong I cannot get my prefered brand of Gel. It's sadface causing.

Leen-Leen
06-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Whenever we're living abroad, I miss the fast-food places in the States so much :kaocry2:

Dynast-Kid
06-25-2008, 07:36 PM
In-N-out = win!

We don't have In-N-Out on this side of the country. I hear it's super good. :(

NeoTifa
06-25-2008, 08:59 PM
mountain dew, bob-b-q :p, taco bell, tacos in general, agua de horrchata, and other such foods. meh. going to minnisota felt funny. their chinese food tasted funky >:[

Rengori
06-25-2008, 10:02 PM
In-N-out = win!

We don't have In-N-Out on this side of the country. I hear it's super good. :(
It really is.

Anyway, I think I'd end up missing the awesome pizza from the local pizza places. Brooklyn style pizza = win.

Freya
06-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Umm..... taco johns :D

The Unknown Guru
06-25-2008, 11:16 PM
I would miss my precious Buffalo Wings.

Dolentrean
06-25-2008, 11:28 PM
I would miss my precious Buffalo Wings.

:'( ... the Guru knows where its at!

NeoTifa
06-25-2008, 11:28 PM
b dubs, el toro, don pablos, starbucks coffee, etc

Randgris
06-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Good ol' adobo. But then again, I could just cook it anywhere.

~*~Celes~*~
06-26-2008, 05:16 PM
I am going to miss Mountain Dew SO MUCH when I go back to England. And Kool-Aid ;-;

Rye
06-26-2008, 05:17 PM
I would miss quiznos very much.

Jojee
06-26-2008, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't miss much! I love trying new foods and I'm not that picky ^_^

41-Inches-Wide
06-26-2008, 05:54 PM
I bet I'd miss these cheap meals I eat.

Jess
06-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Yorkshire puddings and roast potatoes. I'd miss them muchly. and if I couldn't get them: Thai Sweet Chilli Sensations and Sour Cream and Chive dip. :jess:

I wouldn't miss these: English Fish and Chips shops (I don't eat fish at all, and I used to work in a Fish and Chip shop and it put me off the other stuff).

I like trying other food, though. I love Indian, Italian and Chinese food. pretty much as long as it's not seafood or beef.~

I went to Bulgaria last year for holiday, and even though there was plenty of food around I was used to because it was a tourist resort I still tried some of the Bulgarian dishes and they were really quite yummy! :jess:

when I went to France I wasn't a huge fan of most of their food. but I loved oeuf mayonnaise salad which I had for like every starter in every restaurant whilst I was there xD and the fresh squishy bread nommmm.

Breine
06-26-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm going away for 7 months this September, and so I won't be spending christmas at home - that's what I'll miss the most, the food you get at christmas eve!

I've seriously talked my parents into preparing a full christmas dinner for me when I get home in the middle of April!

Calliope
06-28-2008, 10:08 AM
I've been thinking about this a lot. When I move to yankland, I will miss: Weetbix, Marmite, Soy cheese, drinking chocolate, kiwifruit, bread (finding bread without milk powder in America is hard), margarine, muesli, soup powder, spinach cubes, crumpets, flat whites, muffins and grapefruit.

I'm actually a little concerned about what I'm going to eat over there. I try not to think about it.

Arc_Master_14
06-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Dr.Pepper, Gatorade, and In-n-out.