PDA

View Full Version : Foreign languages

Darkmage
06-26-2008, 02:26 AM
I'm a high school student, and at my school, there are three big things: religion, music, and languages. We're kind of small, so we only have three: Latin and German, of which I have a little experience, and Spanish. I have some friends in other schools who take French. My dad knows German, and my mom knows Norwegian.

Sometimes I think about all the languages we have in this world, and I sometimes want those thoughts out in the open. So... I guess this is the place where you would talk about it. So I guess, long story short,

1) How many languages can you speak (basic grasp counts) and what are they, and
2) Which is your favorite? (for example, I think German pretty much rocks)

NeoTifa
06-26-2008, 02:32 AM
english, my french sux, and my spanish is even worse. we have spanish and french at our school. we suck.

tidus_rox
06-26-2008, 02:55 AM
I only know english an french. I am good in french... semi-fluent.

I am going to Japan for a year in a year as an exchange student, though!!! EEK!!!

Vermachtnis
06-26-2008, 02:58 AM
I've been told I speak well in English. My Spanish and German are acceptible at best. French sucks.

Bahamut2000X
06-26-2008, 03:06 AM
I'm fluent in English. I took Italian and Spanish when I was in high school. During those times though I also studied Japanese and German on my own, mostly from a dictionary and various websites. Of all of them I'm best at Japanese and am functional enough that I could express some needs, but not pretty or much beyond basic ideas.

Kirobaito
06-26-2008, 03:45 AM
English and Spanish. I can speak enough Spanish to get by, though I'm pretty out of practice.

English is my favorite language.

Ramza Beoulve
06-26-2008, 04:30 AM
I can speak fluent English and Spanish, being both my mother tongues. I can speak some French, Italian, Nahuatl and German (a few words sadly, I have lost practice in all of them).

Spanish is my favorite language.

I want to learn Latin.

Clouded Sky
06-26-2008, 05:27 AM
I used to have a pretty good command of Spanish after taking it in high school. Now I can hardly speak at all but I can understand most things just fine.

My best (foreign) language right now is Japanese. I've taken it for two years at college, both language and nearly exclusively related classes. The language classes here are fairly accelerated, even for college, so I'm doing pretty well. I plan on majoring in Japanese literature, so I need to be able to speak it well. I'm studying at Waseda University for the entirety of next year so I expect my language skills to improve immensely. They did when I was only there for two months.

I was actually discussing this today with my friend who is going with me and we're hoping to have passed the JLPT2 by the end of the year. By the time I graduate, or perhaps the year after I want to get the JLPT1 under my belt.

Heath
06-26-2008, 07:14 AM
1. English, a decent amount of German and a very basic amount of Welsh.

2. I suppose English, but I do quite like German as a language.

Big D
06-26-2008, 07:31 AM
I'm a native English speaker, and I've got a bachelor's degree in German though that one's grown rusty through disuse. I know a few words of Maori, Russian, and various other tongues too.

rubah
06-26-2008, 07:42 AM
I speak english, passable french, but lately, my mind has taking to phrasing sentences in spanish. I don't know why; I only took one year of it two years ago. . . I kinda want to go back. Or learn esperanto.

Jiro
06-26-2008, 08:02 AM
I speak English, and just finished my first semester of Japanese. I did Italian and Spanish in school, but it was very limited.

My favourite is definitely Japanese. Despite knowing only a small amount, it makes so much more sense when compared to English

Krelian
06-26-2008, 08:18 AM
I can speak fluent German, kind of fluent English, some Chinese (Mandarin) and Indonesian. I want to learn Japanese, but I'm not sure when or how to accomplish that. My favorite isn't easy to pick. I love languages in general. I like English very much, but lately Indonesian has grown on me. Though I'm not nearly as fluent in Indonesian as in English.

Ah, right, I still speak a tiny bit of French, since I learned it in school. But I've hardly ever used it, so I forgot almost everything =(

Breine
06-26-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm fluent in Danish (my mother language) and English. I'm good at German too, and I took Spanish for two years in High School so I know some of that - enough to understand basics and carry a simple conversation. Other than that I understand a little bit of French, and I fully understand Swedish and Norwegian (well, almost fully).

My favourite is probably French. I wish I knew how to speak it.

Rantz
06-26-2008, 09:59 AM
I speak Swedish and English fluently, Swedish being my native language. I took French classes for four years but didn't get very much out of it. Norwegian isn't very different from Swedish, so it's pretty easy to understand. Danish, on the other hand... I can read it fairly well, but I can almost never hear what they're saying. :p

Outside that, I have a pretty good sense of linguistics, so I can often navigate myself through some phrases from most Indo-European languages by analyzing them word by word. For that reason and others, I would like to learn Latin or Spanish, both being so largely connected to a barrage of languages.

smittenkitten
06-26-2008, 10:54 AM
I speak a little French and I like how they pronounce their words. My favourite is probably Swedish, they sounded so funny when we were in Stolkholm.

Zeldy
06-26-2008, 02:00 PM
English is my native, but even I have trouble pronouncing some words. At my school there was French, Spanish and German, but it's chosen randomly and I was made to learn French for 3 years. As we were the top set, we were able to learn basic Spanish for a few months on top of French. That really messed me up though, as now I only know the Spanish alphabet and have completely forgotten the French.

I loved how we were taught lots of songs to remember things, like for days of the week, months and birthdays!

Quelle la dat et on anniversaire? Quelle la dat et on anniversaire? Janvier! Fevrier! Mars! Avril! Mai! Juin! Juillet! Aout!

Peegee
06-26-2008, 03:04 PM
I talking good english for you today. I also talking second obvious language. You get one guess!

Rantz
06-26-2008, 03:31 PM
I talking good english for you today. I also talking second obvious language. You get one guess!

Asian!

Randgris
06-26-2008, 03:42 PM
I speak Filipino and English fluently, some Japanese and Spanish. That's it. My mom wants me to work in Japan so she told me to learn Japanese, I didn't. I want to learn fluent Spanish.

PG is either Japanese, Chinese or Korean.

daggertrepe
06-26-2008, 03:51 PM
english, my french sux, and my spanish is even worse. we have spanish and french at our school. we suck.

same here. :mad:

Yar
06-26-2008, 04:08 PM
This is just my topic! :D

I can speak English (native), German (advanced), Spanish and French (novice).

I enjoy German because it makes you think and uses logic. I like the way French is pronounced by its rules of elision and liason.

Möchten Sie mit mir Deutsch sprechen?

Leen-Leen
06-26-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm a native English speaker, so yeah. Since my family is Filipino they all speak Tagalog, but I can't. D: I can understand it. Kind of. A little. I can speak okay Spanish, but I'm better at understanding than speaking. I used to to study German, but I'm not too good at that anymore. xD

I'm moving to Japan soon, so I get to learn to speak Japanese :jess: (And then I'll forget my Spanish :o)

Darkmage
06-26-2008, 06:15 PM

I enjoy German because it makes you think and uses logic. I like the way French is pronounced by its rules of elision and liason.

Ja, bitte! Aber, ich kann nicht viel verstehen. :(

I've only had German for one year so far, so it's still pretty basic.

Outside that, I have a pretty good sense of linguistics, so I can often navigate myself through some phrases from most Indo-European languages by analyzing them word by word. For that reason and others, I would like to learn Latin or Spanish, both being so largely connected to a barrage of languages.

Yeah, that's one good thing about taking Latin. I personally didn't like it, but I think my class intelligence and their lack of a work ethic wore me down so that I didn't learn as much as I should have. There's a point where, while taking Latin, it all just clicks, but I never got that far. Oh well.

Marionette
06-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Well...English, obviously.

And seeing as I'm in you German class...we speak the same languages.

Does Latin count? Since I can't speak it and don't really understand it, I guess not. But I took it, damn it! Haha.

Darkmage
06-26-2008, 08:55 PM
... I don't think ANYbody can speak Latin...

Krelian
06-26-2008, 09:01 PM
汉语。 But my guess is you're using traditional Chinese characters. Do I win? XD

Immer doch :D Ich muss sagen, es wundert mich ein bisschen, dass es hier so viele Deutschlernende gibt. Aber freut mich.

scrumpleberry
06-26-2008, 09:10 PM
I can read and translate ancient Latin and ancient Greek quite well, Latin much better than Greek because Greek is ridiculously difficult and I've only been doing it for a few months. Good englishspeaking I can has. I know a little French, I could probably piece together some small talk with a native. I want to learn Italian because it's very embarrassing indeed not being able to understand half of your family.

I like all of these languages, I don't really have a favourite. I really like linguistics, I think it's fascinating, and languages are very beautiful things.

Darkmage
06-27-2008, 01:49 AM
Es gibt hier so viele Deutschlernende weil Deutch ausgezeichnet ist! (is that right? i don't remember conjunctions!)

Dr. Acula
06-27-2008, 01:52 AM
I speak fluent English (well duh.. it's my native language after all) and a sufficient amount of French. I try to speak Spanish (I've been learning it for three years, after all), but to be honest, I'm not very good at it. I'm okay at translating things from Spanish to English though. I learned Dutch for a few weeks but I changed schools and I only remember a few words of it now. I know a few words of Italian as well (it's similar to Spanish so I can usually guess anyway).:D

I'm a language maniac.

Rainecloud
06-27-2008, 07:32 AM
I have a very basic grasp of Japanese which I picked some up this year whilst watching my Pro-Wrestling NOAH Japanese DVD's. So, I could probably walk up to someone fluent in Japanese and tell them how much *certain wrestler* weighed and what his finishing maneuvers were ... but not much else.

2☼z╧¢,¢♠╟ÿφ╢╞É¢⌐»╝741☻
06-27-2008, 07:39 AM
At one time I hjad spoken a different language than this but I don't remember what it is or what its called ‼4◙12-

Krelian
06-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Es gibt hier so viele Deutschlernende weil Deutch ausgezeichnet ist! (is that right? i don't remember conjunctions!)
Aside from a missing s in 'Deutsch' it's correct :)

Relapse
06-27-2008, 11:14 AM
english, chinese (very basic), german (extremely basic).

you my friend, are awesome. (since i love german and anyone who speaks it :D) too bad i wasn't qualified for german lessons D:

starseeker
06-27-2008, 12:00 PM
I speak English (native, but I have difficulty with "th" sounds), a fair bit of Japanese, a small amount of French and a smattering of Polish.

Polaris
06-27-2008, 12:47 PM
1) How many languages can you speak (basic grasp counts) and what are they, and

Hm let me see: Portuguese, Spanish, French, English and German that makes 5 ^^

2) Which is your favorite? (for example, I think German pretty much rocks)

It has to be English! German is just terrible, it's really complicated! Spanish is basically like Portuguese so meh! French is also a little like Portuguese :) German has just nothing to do with any of these languages, but my German literature teacher said Hungarian was eve worse <_< I don't believe him :eep:

Darkmage
06-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Nonono, German is actually pretty easy. It follows a lot more rules than English, but there's a lot less to follow than Latin. I dunno, probably depends on how quickly you try to learn it or the teacher.

Krelian
06-27-2008, 05:11 PM
German is just terrible, it's really complicated!:cry:

If it makes you feel better, my Indonesian teacher probably feels pretty much the same. She keeps saying that unlike German, you can actually learn Indonesian. I met a Serbo-Croat who could speak excellent German though, so I don't think it's that impossible.

Balzac
06-27-2008, 05:34 PM
French, German, Spanish and a little Italian.

Polaris
06-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Nonono, but there's a lot less to follow than Latin.

That's the reason why I didn't learn latin!
Even in portuguese that people consider hard we don't declinate everything when it's Dativ, Akkusativ, Nominativ... my God!XD It takes a loooooong time to learn German! I've been learning German for 4 years and I feel like I can't speak... even though I'm very good when I talk to german guys :jokey:

strawberryman
06-27-2008, 06:19 PM
我相当喜欢汉语。

Darkmage
06-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Oh, okay, the speaking part I can see. There's a lot of vocab in German. That's most of my problem. Unless your problem is you're talking to actual German people? Because when we would speak, we speak slowly and deliberately, whereas they speak as fast as we do in English.

Krelian
06-27-2008, 06:39 PM
我相当喜欢汉语。
我觉得汉语很有意思,但是有点儿难。特别是语法和口音。
To anyone speaking Chinese, is that correct? I suck so much at Chinese... XD

Vocabulary is always a problem when learning new languages, it's really bad if you're lazy like me :/

EDIT: I just remembered what's another huge problem when learning new languages: prepositions. I still have problems with them in English.

BardTard
06-28-2008, 05:26 AM
I can speak some Japanese. I can read and write hiragana and katakana :) I've got alot more to learn though. ALOT. I studied Spanish for a semester in 7th grade but I forgot everything.

Clouded Sky
06-28-2008, 05:54 AM
私は日本語が話せると言っても、まだ上手じゃありません。毎日漢字を勉強するけど覚えるのは本当に難しいですよ。けれども、日本語を勉強すればするほど面白くなります。みんな、一緒に日本語を話しまし ょう!

やさしすぎますね。