PDA

View Full Version : Vista 32-bit or 64-bit?

Rostum
06-28-2008, 07:39 AM
I've decided to dip into my savings and just get a new computer as mine seems to have too many problems that aren't even worth fixing.

Just wondering, seeing as I'll most likely go with Vista, if it's worth getting 64-bit? I'm not sure what compatibility is like compared to 32-bit. I am mainly running programs like Maya 2008, 3DS Max 2008, Adobe CS3 packages, Final Fantasy XI and newer games (which I know will work, as they require DX10).

Also, what's OEM mean? If I buy an OEM version, does it mean I can format my computer and re-install it? Or can it only be used once?

By the way, no one in here saying "lawlz go xp" or "lawlz linux"!

Samuraid
06-28-2008, 07:48 AM
If you need to use more than 3GB of RAM, then go with Vista 64-bit. Otherwise, you might find it a bit easier to find drivers for 32-bit Vista.

Yamaneko
06-28-2008, 08:42 AM
OEM Vista installs are motherboard dependent. As long as you don't change out your motherboard you should be fine with activation otherwise you'll probably have to contact Microsoft to have them reset your activation.

OEM licenses defer support to the system builder. You wouldn't have support from Microsoft would something happen. Retail licenses are more expensive, but grant you support from Microsoft and the activation limit is generally more lenient than an OEM install.

Another more questionable method is to find an OEM install of Vista running from a computer at work/school or maybe from a friend who doesn't use it and run a program called Activation Backup and Restore (http://directedge.us/content/abr-activation-backup-and-restore) to extract the key from the OEM install, then use a Vista Anytime Upgrade DVD (which contains all versions of the OS, although there are two versions of the Anytime Upgrade DVD for 32-bit and 64-bit installs) to install a fresh, unactivated version of Vista. The same program will then restore the extracted key to your install and activate Vista with it.

I've used this method to installed a clean, non-bloatware copy of Vista on my dad's laptop no problem, although I'm not sure what would happen if the same method were attempted to restore a key that was already in use. It wouldn't hurt to try. Microsoft discontinued the Vista Anytime Upgrade DVD program because people like me were abusing it, but it's still relatively easy to find a copy on ebay.

Slothy
06-28-2008, 07:59 PM
The first question to ask is what Samuraid said: will you be using more than 3Gbs of RAM? And if you are planning to use more RAM, you should also consider whether programs like Maya support Vista 64-bit. If not, then they'd simply run in 32-bit mode and you wouldn't get any of the benefit of a 64-bit OS while using them. That said, even if they don't support 64-bit now, I'd say odds are they will in the future. More and more audio software is headed that way, as are some games. You'll have to look at the programs you plan to use and decide if it's going to be useful to 64-bit, or if you'd be fine with 32.

Rostum
06-30-2008, 04:06 AM
Ah, looks like I'll be spending a lot more for the retail version (I don't mind, I've always ran pirated copies of Windows, so it'd be nice to have a good clean owned version). Also, seeing as I am getting the retail version, it comes with 32-bit and 64-bit on the one DVD. I'll be running 64-bit as I've looked up all the programs I use and people are telling me they are running all of them on 64-bit with no trouble, plus I'm getting new hardware so it all has drivers for 64-bit Vista. If I come across too many problems, I'll just switch to 32-bit.

Also it'd be nice to get the 4GB RAM and the 512MB GPU RAM to all be running instead of a limit of 4GB including the GPU RAM. I heard it makes a great difference on 64-bit.

Thanks for the advice guys. :)