PDA

View Full Version : Good games for discovery/exploration

Loony BoB
06-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Ever played a Civ game and got to that point that you have explored every tile on the planet, and suddenly found the rest of the game a little... lacking? Well, that's what I'm like, anyway. If there's one part of gaming that I adore, it's exploring. Be it in Final Fantasy VIII, roaming around the planet, or Freelancer exploring a galaxy, I thrive on going places I've never been before. What's a really good game for this sort of thing - a game where there is almost endless exploration to be done, and preferrably not just the same-old throughout the lot of it (I found Oblivion, while huge, had little in the way of variety in it's scenery)?

Roto13
06-28-2008, 04:04 PM
There's always mumorpuguhs

blackmage_nuke
06-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Or explore the real world. It has higher bit depth and a better screen resolution too.

KentaRawr!
06-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Real life actually sounds like a good thing for exploration. But, then again, what happens when you find IT a little lacking?

Uh-oh.

Shoeberto
06-28-2008, 06:30 PM
That's really a tough thing to find, because to have a large amount of exploration without repetition in the design is just, well, hard for developers to pull off. Most of the time games with big environment have them mostly generated by a program then have little tweaks here and there by the artist. MMOs do tend to have a lot of unique towns and the like, though you have to travel through a lot of boring sameness to get there.

I guess I would recommend any of the 3D Grand Theft Autos or World of Warcraft.

Dreddz
06-28-2008, 06:47 PM
I think Knytt (http://nifflas.ni2.se/index.php?main=03Knytt&sub=03Download) is what your looking for.

Loony BoB
06-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Or explore the real world. It has higher bit depth and a better screen resolution too.
Too expensive to get the expansion packs.

KentaRawr!
06-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Adventure games such as the Zelda Series have very unique areas, but the problem is, it's not completely non-linear exploration, and you get stuck in non-explorative areas for a while. >_>

Madame Adequate
06-28-2008, 07:58 PM
I think Knytt (http://nifflas.ni2.se/index.php?main=03Knytt&sub=03Download) is what your looking for.

I think Knytt is what he's looking for.

Roto13
06-28-2008, 08:16 PM
I don't think Knytt is what he's looking for. xP

Knytt is all about exploration, but it's a very short game. Still, I think everyone should play Knytt at some point in their lives.

Actually, I guess Knytt Stories (http://nifflas.ni2.se/index.php?main=02Knytt_Stories) would help a lot with that issue, with the hundreds of user-created levels to explore.

Knytt Experiment consists pretty much entirely of exploring user created levels (and absolutely nothing else), but it's mysteriously missing from Nifflas' site now. It seems to have been abandoned.

Madame Adequate
06-28-2008, 09:12 PM
True in terms of time consumed, but in terms of actually exploring things? Knytt's hard to beat.

Morrowind, I can't recall if you've ever said you played it or not - it's like Oblivion, only engaging and interesting.

But yeah mumorpuguhs are a good bet here, expensive they may be, but also expansive.

KentaRawr!
06-28-2008, 09:32 PM
FFXI has pretty great areas for exploring, but the main problem is how much time it takes to not die.

Shoeberto
06-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Adventure games such as the Zelda Series have very unique areas, but the problem is, it's not completely non-linear exploration, and you get stuck in non-explorative areas for a while. >_>
Twilight Princess was pretty great for exploration. It revolves a lot around new areas basically until you're at the very end of the game. There's a very grand sense of scale to it. Same could be said for Wind Waker, though there's some serious tedium involved in getting from place to place. It's probably moot though since I don't think you have a Wii or Gamecube requisite for playing them.

Larahl
06-28-2008, 09:56 PM
I know you didn't like Oblivion, but the only game that I ever played (except for Knytt) that really had the all exploration thing done so well is Morrowind.

JKTrix
06-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Dragon Quest 8

Loony BoB
06-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I've played Morrowind too. I loved it, actually. :) Might get it again someday.

Shibuyeah
06-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Get a Wii, get Endless Ocean. The whole entire point of the game is to explore.

Endless Ocean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endless_Ocean)

Momiji
06-28-2008, 11:38 PM
There's always mumorpuguhs

Mumorpuguhs are fun, but once you have to grind for a week just to gain one level, it stops being fun. Sure you can explore, but everywhere you go, the monsters are too strong and you end up getting raped in a second, while the monsters in the area before were easily killed.

Laddy
06-29-2008, 02:15 AM
Try Morrowind again. The world is more unique-looking, and it feels much less empty. Also, you have an awesome game afterwards. Or an MMO.

Nominus Experse
06-29-2008, 03:17 AM
The Myst series or Morrowind (with mods in order to make it beautiful) are what you desire.