PDA

View Full Version : Missed PS2 Titles

DMKA
06-28-2008, 08:29 PM
So I've finished all my 360 games and MGS4, and I'm poor at the moment, so I'm thinking I should go back and check out some PS2 games I missed. I was wondering if someone could give me recommendations. I'm up for just about anything that isn't sports or fighting. I have played:

Beyond Good and Evil
Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
Crash Nitro Kart
Crash of the Titans
Crash Twinsanity
Devil May Cry
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII
God Hand
God of War
God of War II
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
Katamari Damacy
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Manhunt
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Psychonauts
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X
Ratchet & Clank
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2: Band of Thieves
Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves
Sonic Heroes
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Twisted Metal: Black
Viewtiful Joe

Roto13
06-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Shadow of the Colossus and Zone of the Enders. Maybe you should try Metal Gear Solid 2, since you've apparently played 3 and 4. :P

Pete for President
06-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Okami.

Dreddz
06-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Why not finish the Jak and R&C games? There all spiffy. Of course, you may of hated them meaning this comment is pointless.

In that case, get Ico. Or maybe get Blood Omen 2, if you enjoyed Soul Reaver 2 and like the rest of the Legacy of Kain games then its a must (even if people tell you otherwise).

Shoeberto
06-28-2008, 09:42 PM
MGS2, for sure. Lots of very important story bits there.

Also, Jak II, and to round out the series, Jak 3. Ignore Jak X. Jak 3 sucks compared to Jak II, but it does finish up the series... even if it's on a pretty stupid note. I <3 Jak II though, big time.

Maybe try some of the Timesplitter games, too. Not the first though, it's pretty awful.

The Onimusha games are pretty solid. Also, Amplitude is good fun as an arcade game.

Larahl
06-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Well, since you played Kingdom Hearts and it's sequel, I'll assume you enjoyed it and enjoy Action RPGs in general. So you gotta try playing Tales of the Abyss.

JKTrix
06-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Roto recommended ZOE, but make sure you play Zone of the Enders 2 regardless of whether you play ZOE 1 or not. ZOE2 comes with a 'story summary' video of what happens in ZOE 1.

My other recommendation for now is "Robot Alchemic Drive" from Enix. Trix digs giant robots.

Momiji
06-28-2008, 11:26 PM
I only recently got these, so I can't tell you very much about them, but Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES is very good so far, as is Odin Sphere. Add the Disgaea series to your list too, if you haven't already tried them. That's about all I can think of.

Roto13
06-29-2008, 12:01 AM
I second Okami (I associate it with the Wii because that's where I played it xP) and Tales of the Abyss.

Slothy
06-29-2008, 01:13 AM
Or maybe get Blood Omen 2, if you enjoyed Soul Reaver 2 and like the rest of the Legacy of Kain games then its a must (even if people tell you otherwise).

If you play Blood Omen 2 then you do it at your own risk. When I bought it I encountered numerous glitches, including one more than half way through the game that kept me from progressing and even kept me from loading my save file. I returned the game the next day where the clerk at the store informed me that apparently a lot of people had trouble with it. It's a shame since I liked it besides the fact that it was broken. I'll definitely recommend Legacy of Kain: Defiance though.

Also play MGS2, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, ZOE, ZOE2, Okami, Odin Sphere, Grim Grimoire, Persona 3, and Guitar Hero 2 (the best of the GH games if you ask me).

Ramza Beoulve
06-29-2008, 01:16 AM
Shadow of the Colossus is a must, Ico and Okami too.

Karellen
06-29-2008, 05:14 AM
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_UHOxD-9gw) is what I would name as the best JRPG on the PS2. The only thing to keep in mind is that it's a monster-taming game at heart, which will probably put some people off. If you don't mind that sort of thing though it has a neat story, a fantastic battle system and some of the best art direction out there. And Dante.

There's not much else I can think of that hasn't been mentioned already. Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts 2 are decent enough games. If you liked Devil May Cry, skip II and go straight for Devil May Cry III. Dragon Quest VIII is also a very charming, satisfying game.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-30-2008, 02:49 AM
devil may cry 3 since i see youve played the first :p

Laddy
06-30-2008, 04:17 AM
Tales of the Abyss or Tales of Legendia.

Personally, I prefer Abyss.

Roto13
06-30-2008, 04:38 AM
Eww, don't play Tales of Legendia. It's like they went "Hey, Tales of Symphonia was pretty great, wasn't it? Let's take everything that was good about it and do the exact opposite!"

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-30-2008, 06:03 AM
Eww, don't play Tales of Legendia. It's like they went "Hey, Tales of Symphonia was pretty great, wasn't it? Let's take everything that was good about it and do the exact opposite!"

No kidding.

ZOE2 ZOE2 ZOE2!

Also, Bard's Tale is pretty great. Forgotten Realms Demon Stone is also fun.

Marshall Banana
06-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Odin Sphere and GrimGrimoire!

Heath
06-30-2008, 11:12 AM
I second Karellen's suggestion of the Shadow Hearts games, though the first one might be a bit hard to track down. Otherwise perhaps try some more of the Devil May Cry games if you enjoyed the first.

Nog
06-30-2008, 12:02 PM
The three Silent Hill games are worth trying out, especially 2 and 3.

Dragon Quest VIII is probably the best RPG outside the FF titles. Although it take about 100 hours to complete, and has an old school battle system.

Onimusha and the Atelier Iris series are good games to play too.

Madame Adequate
06-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Maybe try some of the Timesplitter games, too. Not the first though, it's pretty awful.

What :eyebrow: Sure the later ones improve, but TS1 is still great.

Shadow Hearts, anything by Nippo Ichi Software (Disgaea, etc.), Dynasty Warriors 3 (Best in series), Destroy All Humans!, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Sky Odyssey, Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, Fatal Frame, Red Faction (Not 2 though), Soul Calibur 2, SSX/Tricky/3, Star Wars: Battlefront 2, Suikoden III, Suikoden V, Summoner, The Warriors, XIII.

KentaRawr!
06-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Star Wars: Battlefront 2

No! Don't do it! The pathetic multiplayer maps (in comparison to the first) are pathetic! D:

crono_logical
06-30-2008, 02:48 PM
I second Okami (I associate it with the Wii because that's where I played it xP) and Tales of the Abyss.I third or fourth or however many those as well :p I liked Tales of Legendia, dunno what people find wrong with it :p Ar Tonelico and Mana Khemia were good games, the second is pretty recent too - both also have very recent sequels (currently japanese only) if the language barrier isn't a big problem for you :p I've heard good things about FES an Odin Sphere though I've not got round to playing either yet - I'm currently playing Grim Grimoire which is a very interesting RTS, with nice story and somewhat unique graphics :p

Alucard von Elru
06-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Since you've already played some of Clover's other titles, not to mention Devil May Cry, you may as well go for Okami. I rarely enjoy long games. I'm 65 hours in and counting and I'm still intrigued.

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are reason alone to own a PS2. If you haven't finished both of them, you need to get on that immediately.

KojiPro's Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner is my absolute favourite action game of all time, and my favourite game to come out of the studio. If you enjoy Metal Gear and haven't played MGS2, you should at least try it. The story is generally love it or hate it, but the gameplay is absolutely AMAZING regardless, and even better in the Substance director's cut (VR Missions w00t!).

If you've played Soul Reaver 2 and enjoyed its storyline, Defiance is a must. The game is a great finale, especially when you consider how much was against it: a severely limited budget, marketing pressure, tight time limitations, and the team of writers being forced to accept Blood Omen 2's storyline as canon and work around its utter ridiculousness. Defiance is a bit rough around the edges because of these things, but ultimately its acting, writing, and general storytelling panache shine through in ways most other games can only dream of.

Rez. The ultimate rail-shooter. It's more comfortable in the format than nearly any other I've played, and it blends play with sheer artisitc WOW better than any other title I've come across.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is one of the greatest RPGs ever made. Its storytelling is a godsend in a staling genre, its play is challenging and strategic, yet unrelentingly fast-paced. The world is like an interactive Dante's Inferno, and every single aspect of the game comes together in astounding ways. It is the ultimate game in the series, as far as I'm concerned. A perfect melding and streamlining of all that had come before it, and none of the games made since have had quite the same impact.

I really love both Digital Devil Saga games as well. The gameplay is basically watered-down Nocturne, which makes it a solid starting point. The story is great, but more traditionally told, making it a bit more accessible as an introduction to the series. I haven't played much of Persona 3, so I can't comment. I can say that in spite of lacking both the series director AND lead artist, everything seemed like it came together pretty well.

I can't recall now if they were on your list, so if not: Silent Hill 2, Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly, and Tales of the Abyss are games you can't go wrong with.

Dreddz
06-30-2008, 05:20 PM
If you've played Soul Reaver 2 and enjoyed its storyline, Defiance is a must. The game is a great finale, especially when you consider how much was against it: a severely limited budget, marketing pressure, tight time limitations, and the team of writers being forced to accept Blood Omen 2's storyline as canon and work around its utter ridiculousness. Defiance is a bit rough around the edges because of these things, but ultimately its acting, writing, and general storytelling panache shine through in ways most other games can only dream of.

I always found Defiance to leave the series on a sour note. They tried to turn the gameplay into Devil May Cry or something but did it terribly. They also picked up the habit of closing you in an arena to fight your enemies which just pissed me off. It also didnt feel like the epic conclusion the series needed, especially after the four quality titles before it. Still worth it if your a fan of the series.

Alucard von Elru
06-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Like I said, the Soul Reaver team had to put up with a LOT of hardships to make Defiance turn out as well as it did. We could sit here and debate the strengths and weaknesses of BO2, but even cutting that out of the list of reasons I listed leaves a hefty amount of obstacles. The DMC-style combat and dumbed down level design were the results of marketing pressure, trying to make the series "cooler" and more "accessible". I never felt like the storytelling suffered for that, and so I'm thankful that it turned out as well as it did. Pile on the time and budget limitations, and it's a miracle that the plot turned out the way it did.

Even though Defiance as a game suffers in a lot of ways compared to its predecessors, its story was filled with some truly remarkable revelations and wrap-ups, and I thought it was one of the better series finales in that regard. It didn't feel like it tried to take on too much, or be a "best of". It had issues to address within the storyline and I felt that it answered things appropriately and wrapped up character arcs in some truly satisfying ways. I'd say it ended on a positive note. Maybe on not quite the note I had expected, but a positive one nonetheless. :)

Lionx
07-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Just by posting here you should know what i would recommend if you havent played it already o_o

Rocket Edge
07-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Tekken 5 is the best beat-em-up game I've ever come across on any console, why not give that a go?

Iceglow
07-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Suidoken IV, Star Ocean til the ends of time, Robot Warlords (as close as the ps2 gets to the awesome front mission 3, bloody difficult though to master however), Ring of Red (dated but good mecha strategy game, was one of the first releases for the PS2) I think it's got the initials S.L.A.F. for it's title on the ps2 but essentially Konami ripped off Phantom Crash which was an excellent and under-rated Xbox game where it becomes Armored Core 4 meets Gran Turismo, objective is to buy a mecha and compete in tournaments progressing through the storyline as you go and you get the options of upgrading your mech, light for less armour more speed, heavy for slower but harder to kill. I never played the PS2 version but from what I can tell it's exactly the same bar the menu system. GTA 3 since you've done Vice and San Andreas. GTA stories games unless you've played them on the psp are probably worth a bargain bin buy.

Croyles
07-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, Metal Gear Solid 2, and others I cant think of.

Slothy
07-09-2008, 03:26 PM

What :eyebrow: Sure the later ones improve, but TS1 is still great.

Except, you know, for the glacial loading times.

It also didnt feel like the epic conclusion the series needed, especially after the four quality titles before it. Still worth it if your a fan of the series.

Well if I remember, it did end on a cliffhanger which would prevent the possibility of it being an epic conclusion in my eyes. Climax maybe. It's a shame Amy Hennig left for Naughty Dog and there's been no word of any sequel.

Breine
07-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Shadow of the Colossus is a must, Ico and Okami too.

Yes.

Other than that Dark Chronicle is a great game, and Tomb Raider: Anniversary is very enjoyable, and a good modern take on the original game. Good if you haven't really played Tomb Raider before.

Shattered Dreamer
07-09-2008, 09:01 PM
ZOE2 & Metal Gear Solid 2 are an absolute as everyone keeps saying but also try:

The Getaway
The Getaway Black Monday
GTA Liberty City Stories
GTA Vice City Stories
True Crime New York City (No LA that was so bad!)
Devil May Cry 2
Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition

I'd have more to suggest if you like beat em ups or sports but since you dont oh well!