PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Band AI

JaytodaP
06-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Yesterday, I was finally able to find myself a copy of Mario Kart Wii. I was having fun for the first 15 minutes I was playing it, but that would soon turn into blind rage and anger which we be taken out on every living thing I saw.

Now i have lots of Mario Kart experience so I played a Grand Prix on 100cc to start out on. I was came in first for the first 3 races, but then the last race, it hit me.

Every cuss word you could imagine, arms flailing every which way. I think I punched my brother but I don't know.

I was in first place by a mile. in the blink of an eye, I wasn't even on the track. Lightning and pow blocks activate as i take jumps. Blue and red shell rape and then being ruthlessly run down by bullet bill. For its own sake, I had to shut off my Wii.

Now, I have played Mario Kart extensively on the DS, N64 and SNES and basically unlocked nearly everything in all of them, so It's not that I'm bad at them. The computer definitely speeds up when you take the lead, and you have nothing but a damn banana to block a shell barrage.

I'm all for challenge and a hard game, and Rubber Band AI is something I've dealt with in past games, including Mario Kart series, and Blitz Football. It would never really infuriate me. I mean in Mario Kart 64 it might have been a close race sometimes, but I wouldn't get lightninged, pow blocked, red shell, then green shelled in 2 seconds. To me it just seems a little lazy. Maybe I'm wrong but don't you think they could have had an actually strategy rather than just "blue shell the crap out of the person in first place."

In first through third place, you get bananas and green shells. Everywhere else you get the best Items. Now i could understand it in multiplayer so your less skilled friends have a chance against your most skilled friends, but I don't want to deal with it in single player.

Looking back that was a pretty long rant so sorry. Has anyone else experienced insane Rubber Band AI that drove them off the wall? I'm usually a pretty patient person, but at some point, everyone has thrown their controller.

KentaRawr!
06-28-2008, 11:08 PM
This is why I didn't buy Mario Kart Wii. :3

Roto13
06-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Double Dash had the same problem, so don't buy that either. Single player is pretty bad in it. Multiplayer is fun, though.

Madame Adequate
06-29-2008, 12:12 AM
That's not rubber banding, that's giving better items to people further back, which can be a great thing to do if done right. Actual rubber banding is something that Mario Kart does plenty of though - hell, MK is happy to teleport computer players. And it annoys the hell out of me. If they get some better items, okay, I can deal with it. When they get massive speed boosts and teleports... not in single player, thanks.

KentaRawr!
06-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Don't forget the random speed-ups of MK64's Extra Mode.

Nominus Experse
06-29-2008, 12:19 AM
I actually think that Mario Kart Wii is the most enjoyable of all the versions released.

I believe that it is as it ought to be, save for the odd tendency for the game to actually teleport the computer players whenever they lag too far back.

Slothy
06-29-2008, 01:18 AM
I actually think that Mario Kart Wii is the most enjoyable of all the versions released.

I believe that it is as it ought to be, save for the odd tendency for the game to actually teleport the computer players whenever they lag too far back.

Did we play the same MK Wii? The rubber band AI was worse than it's ever been in that game from what I played. At least it was manageable in the games prior to double dash.