PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XIII & PS3 Firmware 2.4 - Your Thoughts

champagne supernova
07-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Sony are planning to launch Firmware 2.4 on July 2nd. This will allow people to access the XMB within their games. One of the features this will allow is the playing of your own music during games.

Now, with the Final Fantasy series always having strong musical content, how do you think this will impact the game? Do you think Square-Enix should allow custom music? Would you enjoy listening to your custom soundtrack? Does this completely devalue the hiring of music staff?

To start off, I think that Final Fantasy's musical content has not been as good as it used to be. However, I also think that the music has always linked the story to the game. So, I don't think I'd put in my own custom music.

Oh, maybe someone who knows how can turn this into a poll! The results would be interesting.

VeloZer0
07-01-2008, 04:57 PM
First point, if I ever really wanted to play my music on top I always just did so from an external source.

As for overwriting a games music, I can't imagine who would want to do that on a first play through, but if we follow XII's trend of farming based side quests and unremarkable music it might be a more attractive option.

Depression Moon
07-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I really don't quite understand why they did that after paying people to compose the music for the game. It does kinda seem like they're devaluing it, but it's not that big of an issue. I might use I might not. most likely not.

Mirage
07-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Wait, are you guys trying to make this seem like a bad idea? What's wrong with you guys. If you don't like it, don't use it. I can't see how this is even an issue.

It's not devaluing video game composers any more than the mute button on your TV.

champagne supernova
07-02-2008, 12:58 AM
Wait, are you guys trying to make this seem like a bad idea? What's wrong with you guys. If you don't like it, don't use it. I can't see how this is even an issue.

It's not devaluing video game composers any more than the mute button on your TV.

Nah, just trying to see what people's thoughts on it. And whether they'll be using this feature.

Bolivar
07-02-2008, 10:30 PM
I would actually enjoy using it to put in retro battle themes at the beginning of encounters, I think that would be cool as hell. And maybe some vintage Uematsu dungeon music for certain stages, or the forest theme from V or IX when you're in a forest.

Infiltrating MGS4 to the Theme of Tara on the iPod was fun as hell, I think it would translate well for Final Fantasy

Roto13
07-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Squenix might not even use the feature.

Bolivar
07-03-2008, 11:10 PM

I'm not sure if in-game XMB is optional for developers.

Yar
07-04-2008, 10:52 PM
I can't wait to have the Spice Girls playing as my boss music.

IF YAH WANAH BE MAH LUVAH!

Wolf Kanno
07-04-2008, 11:21 PM
I don't think this will have much of an effect on people. Maybe for games that are not quite remembered for their excellent soundtracks (FPS, Platformers, and certain fighting games *cough Soul Calibur cough*) but RPGs are known for their soundtracks so I don't think they have too much to worry except for ones that have bad soundtracks :rolleyes2

I don't think SE should worry nor do I feel Uematsu's absence spells the end of good music in the FF series.

Mirage
07-05-2008, 03:54 PM

I'm not sure if in-game XMB is optional for developers.

In-game XMB isn't optional, but using XMB to play music in a game has got to be, seeing as XBM has told me to quit the game if i wanted to play back audio every time I tried.

And what's wrong with SOul Calibur's soundtracks?

Wolf Kanno
07-05-2008, 06:22 PM
And what's wrong with SOul Calibur's soundtracks?

They're boring...

I usually shut the soundtrack off cause it always feels out of context of what I'm doing and much of it sounds the same. Besides, total silence with only the clash of blades being heard makes for a much better atmosphere than the bad "epic" music they try to slosh down your throat.

Mirage
07-05-2008, 11:44 PM
You're boring!

Wolf Kanno
07-06-2008, 01:59 AM
That is the most awesome comeback I've ever gotten! :cool:

Roto13
07-07-2008, 12:36 AM
You ARE boring. :P Soul Calibur's music is completely epic.

The in-game XMB and custom soundtracks are two separate things that were both enabled by the latest firmware update. Custom soundtracks are up to the developers.

Dreddz
07-07-2008, 03:33 PM
This isnt an EA game were dealing with its FFXIII. Custom Soundtracks arent necessary.

Wolf Kanno
07-08-2008, 03:08 AM
Epic is fine if we're dealing with LotR but this is a fighting game. Half the music feels either inappropriate for the context of the scene or will put me to sleep... GG all the way :cool:

Roto13
07-08-2008, 06:26 AM
It's a fighting game that takes place in the 16 century. :P What were you expecting?

Wolf Kanno
07-09-2008, 03:04 AM
Not what I was given... I feel SC is one of the best 3D fighters out there but it still has massive faults and is only good cause its at least playable (unlike Tekken) its music fits its epic scope of story telling but it forgets it is fundamentally a fighter and having John Williams knockoff Hollywood music in the background does not exactly put me in the fighting mood. Its just tacky and boring.:p

Hyperion4444
07-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Sony are planning to launch Firmware 2.4 on July 2nd. This will allow people to access the XMB within their games. One of the features this will allow is the playing of your own music during games.

Now, with the Final Fantasy series always having strong musical content, how do you think this will impact the game? Do you think Square-Enix should allow custom music? Would you enjoy listening to your custom soundtrack? Does this completely devalue the hiring of music staff?

To start off, I think that Final Fantasy's musical content has not been as good as it used to be. However, I also think that the music has always linked the story to the game. So, I don't think I'd put in my own custom music.

Oh, maybe someone who knows how can turn this into a poll! The results would be interesting.

I think people would much rather extract the music from the game itself to play it on the XMB instead!
Or even play it on an MP3 player after that.

Mirage
07-17-2008, 04:24 PM
I totally think SC4 should feature exclusively techno and happy hardcore.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
07-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Oh yeah hopefully everyone got the 2.41 update b/c that's the one that works. But yeah, you can bring up the XMB now no matter what you're playing, but I think playing custom music is optional for the developers and the game has to let you do that. I'm totally ok with this move. Like if FFXIII, the main one that Yoko Shimomura won't do, goes down the usual route of 1 regular battle music the whole game and not what she did in KH which I really liked, then yeah definitely I'd use it. Otherwise, no, I'll hopefully enjoy the soundtrack. But anytime more freedom is given to the player, it's always a good thing.

I also loved the ipod idea in MGS4. There's not much of a selection now, but they will add more music every week, or at least some weeks since they also let you download extra camouflages. I can't wait until more podcasts are available. That was an awesome idea, and they said they intended you to not use the ipod (or just a little) the first play-through, then on subsequent playthroughs experiment with different music and listen to the podcast. That'd be awesome if they had a kind of director's commentary in FFXIII. It's like when you watch a movie on DVD, like first you watch it, and then if you like it enough you turn the commentary on.

Vyk
07-17-2008, 06:14 PM
If its anything like the custom music like for the XBox you wouldn't be able to specify your custom soundtrack to specific areas/events. That would take forever to set up. Though I was sort of disappointed when I found out how XBox's custom soundtrack feature worked. So maybe Sony did take it the next step. It would be pretty awesome to change out the music for a buncha retro stuff that actually fit a given situation. Instead of just rolling through a playlist

Hyperion4444
08-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Yay, now I'll be able to play Final Fantasy XIII music on my other games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's simple enought, select a playlist, play, enjoy.
You can select everything since it's all accessable.

Mirage
08-01-2008, 04:12 PM
What the hell are you talking about

Hyperion4444
08-01-2008, 04:28 PM
It's possible to put any music to any games,
so when Final Fantasy XIII's music soundtrack is avaible to buy,
I'll just download the songs to my PS3 and play them from there on my other games.

Roto13
08-01-2008, 05:01 PM

No it isn't.

Hyperion4444
08-01-2008, 05:11 PM

No it isn't.

well, at least for thoses game who can support it, wich will increase with new updates and upcoming games, like rumble and trophies.
Since it's first party, other game compagnies won't really need to implement each there own unique player.

Speaking of 2.40, it also added throphies like in Super Stardust HD.
What kind of trophies do you think would be included in Final Fantasy XIII?
Defeat Weapons Trophie (Majorly Powerful Bosses)
Is problably going to be there I think.

Dragonsoul
08-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Reminds of me of when I play the music for the Japanese PS 1 version of Front Mission in Starcaft, it fits well! :D

DMKA
08-02-2008, 03:49 AM
I can't wait to have the Spice Girls playing as my boss music.

IF YAH WANAH BE MAH LUVAH!

Well, I'm sold.

Hyperion4444
08-03-2008, 07:28 PM
What kind of trophies will be included?
Since this game is going on the Xbox 360 it's bound to have trophies.