PDA

View Full Version : PS3 firmware update 2.40 is ready for download

Roto13
07-02-2008, 05:06 AM
For those of you out of the loop, a list of features in the new update:

Sony officially reveals PS3 firmware 2.40 features, coming July 2 - Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/30/sony-officially-reveals-ps3-firmware-2-40-features/)

Perhaps the most notable new features is the achievement trophies system, effectively bringing the e-penis wagging of Xbox Live over to the PlayStation Network. How fun.

I haven't downloaded it yet because I'm f-ing tired right now and I need to go to bed.

Big D
07-02-2008, 05:31 AM
About the current-generation consoles... do they require that you have an internet connection, or is it realistically possible to enjoy them without access to downloadable content? I'm especially not inspired by the idea that the hardware and operating system itself has been designed with inadequacies and shortfalls that need constant improvement. If I wanted built-in obsolescence, I'd buy a computer...

That said, I fully intend to own a PS3 in due course - but before that, it'd be good to know whether I can actually use the damn thing without having to leave it hooked up to the net.

Shoeberto
07-02-2008, 05:33 AM
About the current-generation consoles... do they require that you have an internet connection, or is it realistically possible to enjoy them without access to downloadable content? I'm especially not inspired by the idea that the hardware and operating system itself has been designed with inadequacies and shortfalls that need constant improvement. If I wanted built-in obsolescence, I'd buy a computer...

That said, I fully intend to own a PS3 in due course - but before that, it'd be good to know whether I can actually use the damn thing without having to leave it hooked up to the net.
For the Wii at least, if a game requires a newer version of the firmware, it'll come with it on the disc. I'm not sure if it's the same for other consoles, though it would definitely make sense to.

TyphoonThaReapa
07-02-2008, 06:00 AM
I already have this download and let me tell you. Sony is whack for this update...

Gilghamut
07-02-2008, 08:40 AM

For the Wii at least, if a game requires a newer version of the firmware, it'll come with it on the disc. I'm not sure if it's the same for other consoles, though it would definitely make sense to.

The 360 and PS3 both have firmware updates available through new game releases, just like the Wii.

Cookie
07-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Will I have to replay games? I seriously cba playing the two games that I have all the way through again right now. I'm guessing/hoping that it will just read my previously saved data and award me the trophies?

champagne supernova
07-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Will I have to replay games? I seriously cba playing the two games that I have all the way through again right now. I'm guessing/hoping that it will just read my previously saved data and award me the trophies?

Unfortunately yes. It sorts of make sense though, otherwise you could just copy a friend's save game and then get all the trophies. But a little bit of a pain.

I'm looking forward to in-game music. I hope GTA releases a patch taking advantage of that. And Metal Gear.

Dreddz
07-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Ive had time to fiddle around with everything and am happy with what they delivered. Theres finally a clock and date in the right hand corner which is great. People now have something similer to a gamer tag which is cool. Trophies seem alot more appealing than achievements as I think levels are a better way to manage this stuff than a bloated number next to your name. Although I wont care for it either way.

I still think they could do more. It would be great if you could access the internet without having to quit the game your in. Having a FAQ available to use quickly while playing a game would be useful. Its stuff like this that would make PSN better than Live but as it stands, there pretty much the same. Which raises the question, why the hell are we paying for Live?

Raebus
07-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Well, I'm paying for live because its a great online service and I'm certainly not going to get a PS3 just because it has something similar to LIVE but for free, espesially when their isn't enough games I like on it to warrant such a purchase.

I'm going to prepare a future sigh incase this thread devolves into a "my online service is better than yours! LOL LOL LOL" argument.

It's a good feature though and about time for you PS3 owners.

Dreddz
07-02-2008, 03:02 PM
The PS3 isnt superior now because it offers the same features as Live. It could be better or worse depending on how Trophies turn out. But 360 owners (including myself) are getting ripped off for what they are getting. End of story.

Its about time 360 owners stop accepting this fee and saying its worth it because Microsoft wont stop charging people until its clear people arent happy about it.

Raebus
07-02-2008, 03:12 PM
I don't know if they'll stop charging people for the online service though. Microsoft is pretty much a business company (Obvious point I know) but more so than Nintendo or Sony and money is all that matters to them.

Edit: Okay, that might have made no sense. xD

JKTrix
07-02-2008, 03:34 PM
When PSN is a service that is truly comparable to Xbox Live (it still isn't), then I think Microsoft would seriously consider either the pricing scheme for Live, or the services they offer. I don't doubt that they're thinking about a plan already, and I think part of PSN's goal is to make a free 'Playstation Live' that will compete with XBL.

As for 'needing internet hooked up to your next gen system', unfortunately this is more true than we should accept it to be. Not for the features that an online connection presents, but game developers are far more willing than they should be to release a broken game since they know they can patch it later.

If you happen to get one of these 'broken games' and you have no way of updating, you're kind of screwed on that game. If you have the means to hook it up every once in a while to get what you need, that's entirely fine.

Firmware 2.4 yay.

Roto13
07-02-2008, 03:48 PM

Apparently you can also download updates from a computer and save them to a flash drive or something.

Ive had time to fiddle around with everything and am happy with what they delivered. Theres finally a clock and date in the right hand corner which is great.

Bah. No matter how many times I fix the time on my PS3, it's always WRONG for some reason. xP

People now have something similer to a gamer tag which is cool. Trophies seem alot more appealing than achievements as I think levels are a better way to manage this stuff than a bloated number next to your name. Although I wont care for it either way.

There's different gamer "levels" or something, which pretty much accomplish the same thing, just using a wider scale. Trophies are great. Using them to compensate for something (which many MANY people will do) isn't.

Ichimonji
07-02-2008, 07:59 PM
In game XMB is pretty awesome. I haven't tested it out for a lot of games yet, but hopefully it pauses the gameplay for every game when you use it. There are still a ton of games out there that foolishly do not have a pause screen for cinematics, so this will be really helpful.

I'm not too happy for trophies yet since the games that use them are extremely low atm. But once they achieve the Xbox standard of every game needs of have achievements, then it'll be awesome. I also hope that a lot of developers will go back to older games and add trophies for them.

Dreddz
07-02-2008, 08:15 PM
They dont have the in-game XMB for PS1 and PS2 titles unfortunately. Forget whether Sony said they will be including these features but they've definately promised some handy features coming shortly after this update.

Anyone notice any lag in the XMB in-game? Just doesnt seem as smooth when your out of a game. Maybe they should have spent a bit more time programming it in. Nothing major so I can live with it.

JKTrix
07-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Xbox Guide isn't functional when you play Xbox 1 games either. Also: 2.40 Broke my Ps3 - PLAYSTATION®3 General - PlayStation.com Forums (http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=3042817&view=by_date_ascending&page=1)

Wow. I'm glad you guys' ones are working, but I'm not updating mine 'til I hear that this is fixed. The chances of it happenning seem to be higher than I'd like. I'm not particularly willing to have to reformat my drive and lose all my stuff (also too lazy to back 'em up, got better things to do (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-49-en-70-2olk.html)) if it happens to me.

Roto13
07-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Anyone notice any lag in the XMB in-game? Just doesnt seem as smooth when your out of a game. Maybe they should have spent a bit more time programming it in. Nothing major so I can live with it.

Oh, good, I thought I was the only one.

Ichimonji
07-02-2008, 08:56 PM
So, I'm playing PAIN and I'm collecting trophies, but it's not appearing on my trophy screen in my XMB or my gamercard. Do I need to collect a bunch of trophies in order to actually achieve one? If so, that's really stupid.

Bolivar
07-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Xbox Guide isn't functional when you play Xbox 1 games either. Also: 2.40 Broke my Ps3 - PLAYSTATION®3 General - PlayStation.com Forums (http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=3042817&view=by_date_ascending&page=1)

Wow. I'm glad you guys' ones are working, but I'm not updating mine 'til I hear that this is fixed. The chances of it happenning seem to be higher than I'd like. I'm not particularly willing to have to reformat my drive and lose all my stuff (also too lazy to back 'em up, got better things to do (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-49-en-70-2olk.html)) if it happens to me.

So far it's 50 pages into it and this appears to be a real problem. Granted, the one actual video post I saw was from someone claiming to use a Japanese ps3, living in Japan, when the update is supposedly for N. America/Europe...

Kotaku has reported on the problem with a new update: Sony Pulls PS3 2.40 Firmware After Reported Problems (http://kotaku.com/5021575/sony-pulls-ps3-240-firmware-after-reported-problems)

So this is getting really bad. I'm the first one to defend the PS3, I wouldn't buy any other console, but I won't deny that Sony has made some serious mistakes along the way neglecting the consumer, especially ones who have been loyal to the Playstation for over 10 years now.

I heard manually installing it is the best way to go, but I think i'm just going to wait until they re-release a safer 2.4

Shoeberto
07-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Man. Sony almost has me converted back to a Playstation fan, but geeze, they really need to step up their quality assurance... which is what everyone had been telling them since the PS1.

Hopefully by the time I get one they'll have this stuff sorted out :]]]

Roto13
07-02-2008, 10:45 PM
I think from now on I'm just going to wait a while before downloading any future updates. I thought this kind of thing only happened with Microsoft, but I guess not.

Dreddz
07-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Phew, for once im not on the bad end of the stick. I already know two people who have had issues with their PS3's after the update. I hear all you need to do is replace the hard drive, but I dont see how that would help.

Considering this is such a significant update, which is poorly programmed anyway, im not surprised it screwed up alot of PS3's.

Roto13
07-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Apparently 2.41 is out now, and it's not screwing up any hard drives. Yet. :P

tidus_rox
07-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Yeahhh
It's all fixed up :)
It was going crazy before, though! Like a warrior, DIE PS3zzzz!!!
Hyper-ness.
Time to play ICO...

Croyles
07-09-2008, 01:33 AM
2.41 ftw!

Dreddz
07-09-2008, 02:09 AM
Doesn't 2.41 just change the Platinum trophy? I'm curious.

Roto13
07-09-2008, 02:18 AM
2.41 gives all of the features that 2.40 did, plus the trophy change, minus the hard drive nonsense.

JKTrix
07-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Yep, got mine last night. All is well.

Croyles
07-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Yeah all those bugs are fixed.