PDA

View Full Version : *yawn*

Randgris
07-03-2008, 04:20 PM
*Yawn*

I yawn a lot, but people around me cannot tell. I yawn with my mouth close, can you believe that? I looked more like sighing than yawning. Sometimes I let my yawn pass through my nose like one long breathe. Only problem with my yawn is that, my ears start to build some pressure that kinda annoys me a lot.

Do you yawn a lot? Is it really, contagious?

Bahamut2000X
07-03-2008, 05:02 PM
I yawned at least 5 times since posting this. Yes it's contagious.

Blue Harvest
07-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Even the word yawn makes me yawn.

*yawns*

Balzac
07-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Not really, no.

Brennan
07-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Yep, I yawn a lot :redface:

Vermachtnis
07-03-2008, 06:10 PM
~YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWN~

I yawn all the time. I sleep alot too.

Jess
07-03-2008, 09:15 PM
I yawn a lot - even when I'm not even tired! :jess:

Awrini
07-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Yes. I yawn excessively... and sadly it does catch on.

Avarice-ness
07-03-2008, 09:35 PM
I yawn a lot.

And for the most part it's contagious. I've read somewhere that seeing and hearing a yawn triggers impulses in your brain 'causing you to yawn as well.

Why is yawning contagious? (http://www.world-science.net/exclusives/050309_yawnfrm.htm)
Google Yawning neuron and there's a whole bunch of info.

So what gives? In an effort to find the answer, the Finnish government recently funded a brain scanning study. The results turned up some hard-to-interpret, possible clues. It also confirmed the obvious: yawn contagion is largely unconscious. Wherever it might affect the brain, it bypasses the known brain circuitry for consciously analyzing and mimicking other people’s actions.

This circuitry is called the “mirror-neuron system,” because it contains a special type of brain cells, or neurons, that become active both when their owner does something, and when he or she senses someone else doing the same thing.

Mirror neurons typically become active when a person consciously imitates an action of someone else, a process associated with learning. But they seem to play no role in yawn contagiousness, the researchers in the new study found. The cells are have no extra activity during contagious yawning compared with during other non-contagious facial movements, they observed.

Brain activity “associated with viewing another person yawn seems to circumvent the essential parts of the MNS [mirror neuron system], in line with the nature of contagious yawns as automatically released behavioural acts—rather than truly imitated motor patterns that would require detailed action understanding,” wrote the researchers, with the Helsinki University of Technology and the Research Centre Jülich, Germany. The findings are published in the February issue of the research journal Neuroimage.

But if seeing someone yawn doesn’t activate these centers, what does it do to the brain? The researchers found that it appears to strongly activate at least one brain area, called the superior temporal sulcus. But this activation was unrelated to any desire to yawn in response, so it may be irrelevant to the contagion question, the researchers added.

scrumpleberry
07-03-2008, 09:49 PM
When I'm doing something boring.

Ramza Beoulve
07-03-2008, 10:28 PM
RAMZA used
Yawn!
I yawn when I have slept a lot, or if I wake up earlier than common. Or if I'm incredible bored.

Momiji
07-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Haha, I yawn when I see people yawn or even if I read about yawning.

I yawned when I read this thread. xD

Old Manus
07-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Yawn was annoying. I tried the running-around-the-pillar glitch to make him get stuck, but he still bit me and I had to use a blue herb for the poison.

BardTard
07-04-2008, 03:57 AM
It's 1000x more contagious than the common cold. I've yawned 3 times just reading the word yawn.