PDA

View Full Version : Happy Some Europeans > Than Others Day!

Quindiana Jones
07-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Or Independence Day, as those people who speak funny say. 4th July. The second best 4th of the year.

Talk about Indepence Day. Better than Canada Day? Doing anything nice?

Americans do fireworks nicely well. But Canadians set fire to tall buildings, so I really can't decide which one I prefer.

First person to make a Will Smith joke gets a Harle Point (HP).

DMKA
07-04-2008, 02:29 AM
The only holiday celebrated in the United States that isn't ridiculous.

Plus it revolves around blowing things up. How can anyone not love it?

Madame Adequate
07-04-2008, 02:38 AM
Apparently, some pub here in Leicester is selling Bud on the cheap all tomorrow. Pretty cool.

Shoeberto
07-04-2008, 02:50 AM
Can't talk down too much about the birth of a nation... unless it's the movie.

Jessweeee♪
07-04-2008, 03:04 AM
Hooray :spin:

Denmark
07-04-2008, 03:08 AM

The movie "Birth of a Nation" or the movie "Independence Day"?

And Harle, 2 things:
1) What other 4th?
2) You're acquiescing to the name "Harle"?

Balzac
07-04-2008, 05:10 AM
I made a Will Smith joke at the stroke of midnight here in irc. I even included Jeff Goldblum and an Apple Mac.

Dynast-Kid
07-04-2008, 05:30 AM
July 4th is pretty fun, I guess. I don't really get the tingly holiday feeling I get from other holidays. But cheeseburgers and fireworks are okay with me anytime!

Haha, i've seen that movie. Craaazy...

Laddy
07-04-2008, 07:35 AM
Yay. Really. Truly. I am psyched...

Rengori
07-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Hmm, I must be the only one who doesn't care about 4th of July here.

Baloki
07-04-2008, 08:12 AM
On July 2, a mammoth alien mothership enters orbit around Earth and deploys several dozen saucer-shaped "destroyer" spacecraft, each 15 miles in width. As the destroyers take positions over most of Earth's major cities, David Levinson, an underachieving MIT-graduate working for a cable company in New York City, discovers hidden satellite transmissions which he believes to be a timer counting down to a coordinated attack by the aliens. With the help of his ex-wife Constance Spano, a White House employee, he and his father Julius gain entrance into the Oval Office to warn President Thomas J. Whitmore of the impending attack. The President orders an evacuation of the targeted cities, but soon afterwards the hovering spacecraft incinerate the cities using advanced directed-energy weapons, killing millions. The President, portions of his staff, and the Levinsons narrowly escape aboard Air Force One.

On July 3, the United States conducts a coordinated counterattack. A squadron of Marine Corps F/A-18 Hornets, the Black Knights stationed out of El Toro MCAS in Irvine, California, participates in an assault on a destroyer near Los Angeles. Their weapons fail to penetrate the craft's force field, and it responds by releasing scores of "attacker" ships which are similarly shielded and armed with directed-energy weapons. A one-sided dogfight ensues, and Captain Steven Hiller ends up the sole survivor, eluding a single attacker by luring it to the Grand Canyon. There, he blinds the alien pilot with his jet's braking parachute and ejects just before running out of fuel, causing both to crash in the desert. Having parachuted to safety, he subdues the injured alien. Hiller is picked up by Russell Casse (Randy Quaid), who is traveling across the desert with a group of refugees in a convoy of RVs. From there they take the captured alien to nearby Area 51, commanded by Major Mitchell, where the President and his remaining staff have also landed. Area 51 conceals a top secret facility housing a repaired attacker and three alien bodies recovered from Roswell in 1947.

When lead scientist Dr. Brackish Okun examines the new alien specimen, it attempts escape and takes control of his mind. When questioned by President Whitmore, it reveals through a telepathic connection that its species travels from planet to planet, destroying all life and harvesting a planet's natural resources before moving on. The alien attempts a psychic attack against Whitmore and is killed by Major Mitchell. Whitmore orders a nuclear attack using B-2 Spirit bombers on an alien destroyer which is hovering over a deserted Houston, but this too fails to penetrate the craft's shield.

On July 4, Levinson devises a plan to use the captured attacker to gain access to the interior of the alien mothership in space in order to introduce a computer virus and plant a nuclear missile on board. This, it is hoped, will cause the shields of the Earth-based alien craft to fail long enough for the human resistance to eliminate them. Hiller volunteers to be the mission's pilot, with Levinson accompanying him to upload the virus. With satellite communications knocked out, the Americans use Morse code to coordinate an attack with the remaining forces around the world, timed to occur when the invaders' shields are set to fail. With not enough military pilots to man all available aircraft, the battle requires several volunteers, including President Whitmore and Russell, who both have previous combat flight experience.

With the successful implantation of the virus, President Whitmore leads the U.S. jet fighters against an alien destroyer on approach to Area 51. Though the aliens are now lacking shields, the fighters' supply of missiles are quickly exhausted against the massive craft and its large complement of assault ships. The underside of the alien craft opens up as its primary weapon prepares to fire on the base. Russell possesses the one remaining missile, but his firing mechanism jams. He pilots his aircraft into the alien weapon in a kamikaze attack. The ensuing explosion causes a chain reaction which completely annihilates the ship. Human resistance forces around the world use the same weak point to destroy the remainder of the alien ships, while the nuclear device planted by Hiller and Levinson destroys the alien mothership soon after the duo make a daring escape. Hiller and Levinson return unharmed, crash-landing their captured alien fighter in the desert close to Area 51. The film ends as the main characters watch debris from the mothership enter the atmosphere like shooting stars.

Denmark
07-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Way to go, Baloki. Please tell me you typed that up yourself and it's not copypasta.

Balzac
07-04-2008, 08:37 AM
c/p imo

SammieBabe
07-04-2008, 10:47 AM
I plan on eating my weight in ribs.. :)

Caraliz
07-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Hopefully I'll get really messed up today but god no more booze. Anything but booze.

Blue Harvest
07-04-2008, 02:26 PM
If I was american I'd get wasted tonight.

Wait, it's friday. Imma get wasted anyway :monster:

Goldenboko
07-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Technically illegal fireworks ftw.

Quindiana Jones
07-04-2008, 02:59 PM

The movie "Birth of a Nation" or the movie "Independence Day"?

And Harle, 2 things:
1) What other 4th?
2) You're acquiescing to the name "Harle"?

1) 4th of May, for Star Wars nerds. :D
2) Nope. I chose that to show that I 'hate' people with Harle Points. I mean, if anyone's as lame as me to think of such a rubbish joke...christ. :laugh:

Yar
07-04-2008, 05:03 PM
I demand a poll be added asking whether ones call it July 4/Fourth of July or Independence Day! :mad2:

rubah
07-04-2008, 05:40 PM
all of the above

Freya
07-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Did you know they make Mikes hard tea? What the crap is that?!

I Took the Red Pill
07-04-2008, 09:18 PM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g9/elementality1210/america.jpg
Here's my once-annual dose of patriotism.

Caraliz
07-05-2008, 12:24 AM
ugh bloody rubbish probably. mike's hard lemonade is nastay too.

Freya
07-05-2008, 12:26 AM

I didn't think it was too bad, can't taste the boozeness though. I like the lemonade though cause i love lemonade!

Aerith's Knight
07-05-2008, 12:35 AM
I plan on eating my weight in ribs.. :)

I plan on eating your weight in ribs. :D

Caraliz
07-05-2008, 12:38 AM

I didn't think it was too bad, can't taste the boozeness though. I like the lemonade though cause i love lemonade!
I like beer. But no more booze for me for a long time. :(

Breine
07-07-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm European so meh.

Cz
07-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Our fireworks excuse is much better.

Xaven
07-07-2008, 05:38 PM
I was at Anime Expo and forgot it was the Fourth of July... until all the restaurants around the hotel were closed. :P

Quindiana Jones
07-07-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm European so meh.

Silly Breine, he's all confused. Denmark is in Asia!