PDA

View Full Version : How do I increase my evasion in the NES version?

Tamagon
07-05-2008, 02:54 AM
How do I increase my evasion in the NES version with just barehanded characters. As my setup is going to be:

Firion - Barehanded Black Mage
Maria - Barehanded White Mage
Guy - Armor-Wearing Sword-Weilder.

So how do I increase my evasion with barehanded characters?

Yar
07-05-2008, 02:58 AM
You'll have to use a shield to raise evasion.

Or you could throw them into the back row (100% evasion) and use strictly magic.

I've never found bare-handedness ideal for this game, but at least II is flexible enough to allow you to pick what styles of weapons to use or none at all.

Tamagon
07-05-2008, 03:00 AM
Can you get Sage's Wisdom, in the NES version?

Sorry for the questions.

Relapse
07-05-2008, 04:18 AM
no, if i'm not wrong.

Yar
07-05-2008, 04:43 AM
Don't apologize for asking questions! :D

It's just so nice to see life on the II board. :mad:

Tamagon
07-05-2008, 06:14 AM
Just looked it up, there is a "Sage's Wisdom"

It's called Elder'sIQ, but I can't tell if the faq uses the prototype NES translation or Demiforce's.

rubah
07-05-2008, 06:59 AM
neo demiforce's.

What does ElderIQ even do? I've never used it.

Tamagon
07-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Maximizes intelligence, so basically your Black Magic spells (Flare etc) will be very strong. When I used it on the GBA version, it did lots of damage at LV8 with Leon.

Peter_20
07-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Maximizes intelligence...for one battle.

rubah
07-07-2008, 04:33 PM
well yeah, that's kinda implicit with the ff2 items xD

Nagumo
07-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Now that we're talking about evasion, does anybody know how many hits it takes for the evasion-level of your characters to go up?
By evasion-level I don't mean the evasion percentage but the first nummer. I'm trying to max out my characters stats (because it's vacation and I don't have anything better to do :p)

Yar
07-08-2008, 02:27 PM
On the NES I think weapons increase by only one at a time so it'd be 100 hits but I could be mistaken.

ReloadPsi
08-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Most armour decreases evasion; at the very start of the game you're actually best off with none at all!

Nagumo
09-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Please excuse me for bumping this topic but I ran in some trouble and I don't want to make a whole thread about it. So, I'm still busy with maxing stats and all that (which is VERY time consuming, I barely have enough time to do it) and I was training Gordon's evasion (it's 16 - 99% now) but it won't go up anymore :whaaa: I thought removing all of his equipment (except his shields) would help but I didn't make any process. So, my questions are:
- Does somebody know what is going on and what to do about it?
- How many hits does it take for your evasion level to go up (still haven't figured it out)
Evasion drives me crazy, it's all so vague. :(

The Ceej
09-23-2008, 07:25 PM
- How many hits does it take for your evasion level to go up (still haven't figured it out)
Evasion drives me crazy, it's all so vague.

That's a good question. I'm playing the Origins version right now (On my PS2 because PS3's backward compatibility sucks and they don't even admit most of the issues exist, let alone fix them), and when someone's HP tends to become too much lower than everyone else's, I usually just smack them upside the head with a sword. Sometimes, one weak hit will make their HP go up by 20 and their evasion increase, but sometimes, I have to hit them three or four times with critical attacks just to make one of those stats increase by a little bit.

I really don't think there's a set number of hits. I think it's random. Sometimes a hit makes your HP or evasion increase, and sometimes it doesn't. And when it does, sometimes it's by a little, and sometimes it's by a lot. This is the way I've noticed it, but I could be wrong.

Nagumo
09-24-2008, 09:10 AM

I really don't think there's a set number of hits. I think it's random. Sometimes a hit makes your HP or evasion increase, and sometimes it doesn't. And when it does, sometimes it's by a little, and sometimes it's by a lot. This is the way I've noticed it, but I could be wrong.

From what I understand you only have to be targeted by an enemy if you want it to raise. Usually my characters have to be targeted around 120 times or so. ( I always have 1 character in the front row and the others in the back row when I grind for evasion) Maybe it has something to do with the rank that the monsters have? :confused:

The Ceej
09-24-2008, 06:59 PM

That's a good question. I'm playing the Origins version right now (On my PS2 because PS3's backward compatibility sucks and they don't even admit most of the issues exist, let alone fix them), and when someone's HP tends to become too much lower than everyone else's, I usually just smack them upside the head with a sword. Sometimes, one weak hit will make their HP go up by 20 and their evasion increase, but sometimes, I have to hit them three or four times with critical attacks just to make one of those stats increase by a little bit.

If you hadn't taken me out of context, you would have realized it had nothing to do with being targeted by an enemy, as I can make someone's evasion go up by hitting them with my own party.

Nagumo
09-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Sorry, my bad. Most walkthroughs (the ones I've read) never mentioned that.

The Ceej
09-25-2008, 02:36 AM
Of course, I'm probably wrong.

The law of averages states that, if it's random, and I have Gus ax the hell out of Firion, taking a total of over 3000 HP in two battles, and Mariah hits herself just once with a bow, that Firion's HP and endurance would increase by much more than Mariah's. I don't know about Mariah's endurance, but her HP rose by almost 100 points in those two battles and Firion's HP and endurance didn't move an inch.

I'm guessing they have some kind of system where they can tell when you're cheating and punish you for it.

Nagumo
09-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Tried your strategy today, still got nothing. :(

dream ending sword
10-08-2008, 02:29 AM
16-99% is the highest evasion and hit rate can go you ninny :p

for evasion the first number is the number of hits per attack you can apply your evasion rate (the second number) to your attackers hit rate, so 5-30% means you can reduce the hit% on the first 5 hits per each attack command you are on the receiving end of.

Nagumo
10-09-2008, 08:02 PM
16-99% is the highest evasion and hit rate can go you ninny :p
I just figured that out 3 days ago but thanks anyway. :)