PDA

View Full Version : The Fall

BG-57
07-06-2008, 03:13 PM
I saw this movie the other day and it bowled me over. Of course the reason I went to see it was because it was directed by Tarsem, who makes his movies with arresting visuals (like The Cell). I was not disappointed.

It tells two stories in parallel: a man and a little girl in a hospital and the story he tells to her as filtered through her imagination. The hospital is realistic with genuine moments of humanity. The story is populated with larger than life characters in fantastical settings with preposterous dialogue.

It worth seeing just for the visuals that the little girl conjures up in her mind's eye. I was reminded of several other movies, most notably The Singing Detective, in which a writer in a hospital mixes his memories of his childhood with that of his pulp novel. Of course that has three levels of reality instead of just two.

If there is a fault, it's that the characters in the story needed to be a little more human. They were written with as much subtlety as Buck Rogers or Ming the Merciless. Speaking of which I could easily picture them in their own adventure seriel.

Maybe the reason I was drawn to this movie is because I like to write and it embodies the art of storytelling.

BTW, I saw the trailer on YouTube after seeing the movie. It captures the movie pretty well, but it's full of spoilers.