PDA

View Full Version : Cult Movies

Nifleheim7
07-06-2008, 08:22 PM
I've recently watched again The Hitcher (1986),one of my favourite movies as a kid.There are so many things i like in this movie...Rutger Hauer's acting is top notch,Mark Isham's music is fantastic (i still can't find the damn soundtrak:mad2: ),and especially Eric Red's script with it's minimalistic approach in storytelling.It left so much to the viewer so anyone can have his/her own interpretation of John Ryder's character and the movie in general.The whole atmosphere is beyond words...I may sound like an old fool but i'm glad i grew up in the 80's.They don't make these kind of movies anymore!
YouTube - The Hitcher 1986 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0psb2oKEfUc)

So anyway,what's your favourite cult movie?

Wolf Kanno
07-06-2008, 09:04 PM
One of the most classic Cult Movies of course! "Big Trouble in Little China" :D

I also love "Army of Darkness" though I'm saddened by never actually seeing Evil Dead 1 or 2.

Dreddz
07-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Escape from New York. Low Budget awesomeness.

Boney King
07-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Cannibal Holocaust.

DK
07-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Silent Night, Deadly Night 2.

PUNISH

Nifleheim7
07-07-2008, 02:18 AM

I also love "Army of Darkness" though I'm saddened by never actually seeing Evil Dead 1 or 2.

Escape from New York. Low Budget awesomeness.

Damn,i hate Kurt Russell but he played in some of my favourite movies...:p

Big D
07-07-2008, 03:01 AM
Equilibrium. It's derivative as all hell, but still a decent watch in its own right.

Metropolis also deserves a mention; it may be 80 years old, but it's still compelling and futuristic.

Same goes for Gattaca, except the '80 years old' part.

Roto13
07-07-2008, 03:07 AM
Rocky Horror Picture Show. :P

I don't know if this counts as a cult movie because I don't think it actually has enough fans to form a cult, but Fellini Satyricon is one of my favourite movies ever. :P

Moon Rabbits
07-07-2008, 04:42 AM

Oh dear god please find and watch them because they are a million times better than Army of Darkness. Although, Army of Darkness is awesome.

Cannibal Holocaust.

What about Cannibal Girls?

http://www.horrorstew.com/images/Frank75.jpg

Best. Movie. Ever.

I Took the Red Pill
07-07-2008, 04:46 AM
Can a brother get some The Man Who Fell to Earth?

Fonzie
07-07-2008, 04:58 AM
I liked Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas a lot.

Army of Darkness, and others.

Boney King
07-07-2008, 05:50 AM
Cannibal Holocaust.

What about Cannibal Girls?

I have never seen it.

DMKA
07-07-2008, 12:30 PM

I don't know if this counts as a cult movie because I don't think it actually has enough fans to form a cult

....are you being sarcastic?

Captain Maxx Power
07-07-2008, 01:24 PM

You win! \o/ Those movies are easily two of my favourite movies of all time.

Jessweeee♪
07-07-2008, 04:45 PM
http://www.horrorstew.com/images/Frank75.jpg

Best. Movie. Ever.

Instead of giving us "the talk" my parents had my aunt and her boyfriend take us to see a performance at the local play theater place thing.

Heath
07-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Big Trouble in Little China is absolutely fantastic. So fantastic that when deciding on a new signature theme for EoFF the other week I was this close to choosing Jack Burton and the pork-chop express.

Escape from New York is a great Kurt Russell film too. I found out the other day that the wireframe computer thing they had wasn't computer generated at all, the just had a cardboard model and glued glow-in-the-dark strips around the edges. How awesome is that?

rubah
07-07-2008, 04:48 PM
I think my favorite "cult movies" are all the popular cult movies so that they're almost not cult movies anymore, or at least it's surprising to think of them as such.

That or wikipedia lies to me when I look them up.

donniedarkofightclubpulpfictionrockyhorroritsawonderfullife

Roto13
07-07-2008, 07:41 PM

I don't know if this counts as a cult movie because I don't think it actually has enough fans to form a cult

No, believe it or not people can have opinions that differ from yours. That's why most people actually enjoy more than one or two movies per year. Because they don't hate everything.

Fonzie
07-07-2008, 07:46 PM

Don't you have a bridge to be at? :p

Yar
07-07-2008, 07:47 PM
I love Office Space, but my cult obsessions are more television shows than anything, like Arrested Development, Mystery Science Theater 3000 and 30 Rock as examples.

Moon Rabbits
07-07-2008, 08:49 PM
I love Office Space, but my cult obsessions are more television shows than anything, like Arrested Development, Mystery Science Theater 3000 and 30 Rock as examples.

Office Space or The Only Good Thing Jennifer Aniston Did With Her Life.

I'm really upset that Arrested Development became popular after it was canceled, cuz it would've been pretty cool had it gotten past it's third season while I was still watching it.

Nominus Experse
07-07-2008, 09:57 PM
A Clockwork Orange is a wonderful movie, as is the book, and both are even better when blasted out of your mind on drugs.

Donnie Darko and The Rocky Horror Picture Show are also both orgasmic.

Dolentrean
07-07-2008, 10:44 PM
All the Evil Dead movies are awesometastic.

Clerks is a cult movie... right?

Big trouble in little china makes me :bigsmile:

Verses is a Japanese cult film that rocks.

Someone else said Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I didn't know that was a cult movie, but that movie rocked!

Flying Mullet
07-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Most of the "cult movies" listed in this thread never did much for me. I enjoyed <i>Office Space</i> immensely, but because everyone I knew watched it when it came out on video I never really considered it a cult movie. It was more of a "I'm going to call it a cult movie because I can pretend that I'm not letting corporate America decide what movies I should like" type of movie.

LunarWeaver
07-07-2008, 10:57 PM
I really loved Donnie Darko. Makes me want a scary bunny suit. I heard they were making a direct-to-video sequel about his sister or something. That makes me frazzled!

Tallulah
07-07-2008, 11:20 PM
A Clockwork Orange is a wonderful movie...

I agree.

I also love The Shawshank Redemption. :p

DMKA
07-07-2008, 11:42 PM

No, believe it or not people can have opinions that differ from yours. That's why most people actually enjoy more than one or two movies per year. Because they don't hate everything.

No, I meant the part about it not having enough fans to be considered a cult following? That movie has an assload of devotees.

I wonder what I did to make you be such an ass to me.

Don't you have a bridge to be at? :p

You too.

Miriel
07-07-2008, 11:50 PM
I dunno how some of you are defining cult movies. Shawshank Redemption is most certainly not a cult film.

Off the top of my head, Serenity is a cult film that I enjoyed muchly.

Kirobaito
07-08-2008, 12:30 AM
<i>Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure</i> is one of my favorite movies, period. And I think it qualifies as a cult movie. Wiki refers to it as a "cult classic."

Roto13
07-08-2008, 12:52 AM

No, I meant the part about it not having enough fans to be considered a cult following? That movie has an assload of devotees.

I wonder what I did to make you be such an ass to me.

I didn't think it was possible that you could take that meaning from my post, since that's not what it says unless you stop reading mid-sentence.

I don't know if this counts as a cult movie because I don't think it actually has enough fans to form a cult, but Fellini Satyricon is one of my favourite movies ever. :P

Wolf Kanno
07-08-2008, 04:12 AM
I forgot about Office Space, Rocky Horror Picture Show and Donnie Darko

I would also like to add Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, The Returner (best Japanese Hollywood sci-fi rip off ever!), Dreams (Akira Kurosawa flick), Night on the Galactic Railroad, and Robot Carnival.

Honorable mentions though I'm not sure if they count...

Grosse Point Blank, Gun Shy, and Wasabi.

My list of must watch:
Evil Dead 1 & 2
Metropolis
Escape from New York (and L.A.)

rubah
07-08-2008, 04:22 AM
the dark crystal was kinda boring and slow and weird ;o

Moon Rabbits
07-08-2008, 04:53 AM
the dark crystal was kinda boring and slow and weird ;o

Yes. All that movie succeeded in was creeping me out alot.

Dolentrean
07-08-2008, 07:17 AM
With some of the movies people are listing I could put Oceans Eleven, Forrest Gump and Casablanca and say they were cult movies.

sir helix
07-08-2008, 07:43 AM
even thow im very very young, i love old movie so im gonna go with

the blob-friggin sweet
psycho-norman and his mother issues
attack of the killer tomatoes-yes another friggin sweet

my dad went to a live performance of the rocky horror picture show and got an unwanted lap dance from the transvestite....to this day iv yet to see this film

Moon Rabbits
07-08-2008, 08:02 AM
With some of the movies people are listing I could put Oceans Eleven, Forrest Gump and Casablanca and say they were cult movies.

I don't know what you're talking about. Rocky Horror, Donnie Darko, and Evil Dead are all cult classics~

The Unknown Guru
07-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Napoleon Dynamite.

It had to be said.

Balzac
07-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Serenity is fucking awesome, Legend is a great cult movie, Tom Cruise's best movie imo. Rocky Horror Picture Show and Bill and Ted.

Nifleheim7
07-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Versus is the best Japanese cult film ever made.

Fixed.

Jowy
07-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Almost three pages without mention of the Kentucky Fried Movie? Get to the video store, it'll be covered in dust and the cover will be sun-damaged due to age. Dust off the VCR from grandma's and pop a VHS in if you have to, no movie has made me laugh as much.

I like the Toxic Avenger too.

sir helix
07-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Almost three pages without mention of the Kentucky Fried Movie? Get to the video store, it'll be covered in dust and the cover will be sun-damaged due to age. Dust off the VCR from grandma's and pop a VHS in if you have to, no movie has made me laugh as much.

how could i have forgotton this one, i have it on a recorded dvd,

(cathlec college girls in trouble) classic

Yar
07-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Most of the "cult movies" listed in this thread never did much for me. I enjoyed Office Space immensely, but because everyone I knew watched it when it came out on video I never really considered it a cult movie. It was more of a "I'm going to call it a cult movie because I can pretend that I'm not letting corporate America decide what movies I should like" type of movie.

Office Space was a huge failure at the box-office.

Moon Rabbits
07-09-2008, 06:25 AM
Napoleon Dynamite.

It had to be said.

NO.

The Unknown Guru
07-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Napoleon Dynamite.

It had to be said.

NO.

Exactly. You either love it or you hate it.

Balzac
07-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Cannibal the Musical and Orgasmo.

Moon Rabbits
07-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Orgasmo.

YES!

BG-57
07-20-2008, 07:09 PM
What about John Waters? Pink Flamingos and Polyester anyone?

And some of Peter Jackson's early movies should qualify, especially Braindead and Meet the Feebles.

My personal favorite movie that if it's a not cult film, should be is The Haunted Lantern. A creepy supernatural samurai period peice featuring swordfights, chanting monks, lovelorn ghosts, reincarnation, and haunted lanterns is very quirky, bloody and satisfying.

MushroomZOMBIE
07-21-2008, 05:02 AM
"Escape from New York (and L.A.)"

YES!!!
I want to watch them again. =[

I've seen Donnie Darko, and would KILL to watch A Clockwork Orange. I'm afriad my parents will find out I was watching an X-Rated movie. :P
But, I don't want to get the R rated version... =[

Roto13
07-21-2008, 06:37 AM
There's an X-Rated version of A Clockwork Orange? :P

MushroomZOMBIE
07-21-2008, 07:58 AM
That's what it was rated. In the 1970's (forgot the exact year).
Would you think a movie with rape scene being played out fully wouldn't be rated X? XD
The movie was "Bad" enough to be banned...

Calliope
07-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Decasia, Destino.

Balzac
07-21-2008, 10:44 AM
A Chinese Ghost Story.

Momiji
07-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Of all of the ones mentioned so far, I liked Office Space a lot, and Equilibrium was good too. But you know me, I'm not too much of a fan of movies, so I haven't seen many others.

Jowy
07-22-2008, 03:20 PM
I was watching an X-Rated movie. :P
But, I don't want to get the R rated version... =[

SOMEONE watched Mission Hill last week.

Boney King
07-23-2008, 01:55 AM
That's what it was rated. In the 1970's (forgot the exact year).
Would you think a movie with rape scene being played out fully wouldn't be rated X? XD
The movie was "Bad" enough to be banned...
When you consider it was banned in the 70's, when views concerning that type of thing in film were much more conservative, and when you also consider that it's a pretty tame scene by today's standards, AND when you consider the ban on the film has been lifted for the past 8 years, your parents would have to be insane not to let you watch the film. If anything because it's just a plain fantastic film and should be required viewing by everyone.

D.Knight
07-23-2008, 03:15 AM
Suburbia. Not the one from 1996, the one from 1984. I'm not sure if it has enough fans to be considered a cult, though. Oh well, it's a B-movie, and it's the best ever.

Burtsplurt
07-23-2008, 08:38 AM
Pretty much any of the George Romero 'Dead' films are up there (except that quite recent one with Dennis Hopper - that wasn't very good). I really like Assault on Precinct 13 and The Warriors as well.