PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Aliasing FTW!

Cyric
07-07-2008, 09:32 AM
So how many people actually use an emulator to play this/these games? I have a PS2, but since my CPU can run PSX games flawlessly, why not enjoy the comforts of Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic filtering? So, I ripped an ISO of each disk to my computer, and I run it from that...:greenie:...even Gran Turismo 2 looks amazing...aside from the lack-lustre textures...

This is a snapshot I took at 960x720 resolution, with 8x AF, and 8X AA...the AA is what will make me finally play FFVII all the way through...it's SO much more playable with AA...

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5426/8xaf8xaavm6.th.jpg (http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5426/8xaf8xaavm6.jpg)

I'll post some snaps of when/if I ever get to play the iso-copy of FFX (International)...:greenie:

Mirage
07-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Still looks pretty bad.

TheSpoonyBard
07-07-2008, 04:10 PM
I can honestly say I much prefer the original look.

Raebus
07-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Still looks pretty bad.

rubah
07-07-2008, 04:34 PM
there's an option you can choose before loading a game on the ps2 that made ff9 look really nice, at least. I'm sure someone else knows what it is and what it does xD

Brennan
07-07-2008, 05:16 PM
there's an option you can choose before loading a game on the ps2 that made ff9 look really nice, at least. I'm sure someone else knows what it is and what it does xD

It's the texture mapping found by:
1. Starting the PS2 without a disc, press Triangle at the menu to go to Version.

2. Hilight Playstation Driver(? 4th option) and press triangle.

3. Set the mapping to on

4. Enjoy! (Only works on PSX games)

Jessweeee♪
07-07-2008, 05:20 PM
O:

Cyric
07-07-2008, 08:06 PM
[quote=rubah;2525160]It's the texture mapping found by:
1. Starting the PS2 without a disc, press Triangle at the menu to go to Version.

3. Set the mapping to on

Heh, my TV's either too good, or it's extremely crappy, cuz I had never heard of that, but I just found out that my TV can't handle PSX games...lol...I load up the games, but my TV comes up with a message in broken english: Mode Not Support. Looks like I don't have a choice where I want to play it.

[edit] It plays PS2 games fine...phew...I thought I screwed something up...I use an LCD TV for my computer, so AA always looks better...I guess I'll have to wait until I'm at my brother's place to see what the Texture Mapping looks like...

[edit #2]hmm...I remember playing PSX games on this TV...wtf's goin' on...i guess it's time to fiddle with the settings...

Mirage
07-07-2008, 08:42 PM

It's the texture mapping found by:

3. Set the mapping to on

Um, it works on PS2 games too, just that texture filtering is always activated in ps2 games, and you can't really turn it off.

Brennan
07-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Um, it works on PS2 games too, just that texture filtering is always activated in ps2 games, and you can't really turn it off.

That's what I meant :p

I guess I'll have to wait until I'm at my brother's place to see what the Texture Mapping looks like

Just think of it as Anti-Aliasing except on a PS2.
I think you can do it on a PS3, but I don't have one so I wouldn't know

Mirage
07-08-2008, 04:30 PM
You can't really get hardware accelerated antialiasing on the PS2 :p. Developers who want it would have to do it in software, which consumes way too much resources compared to the results :p. A shame really, even the Dreamcast had antialiasing.

It's not really the same as texture filtering at all, though. Antialiasing smoothens the edges of polygons, while texture filtering smoothens the textures that are applied to a surface. Both can usually be turned on and off independently of the other, that is, as long as the graphics engine supports the features.

rubah
07-08-2008, 05:23 PM
You get better results with some games over others depending on what they used to create the graphics. Texture map filtering really doesn't do any good with ff8, but like I said, it makes ff9 look really good.

Mirage
07-08-2008, 05:35 PM
It did a big difference in FF8 too, as more or less any 3D surface had a texture there. In FF7 however, there was a lot of simple-colour fills and gradients. I think Cloud only had like three small textures. His eyes and his mouth. Barret had like 4, because of his tattoo :p.

Ouch!
07-08-2008, 06:09 PM
The PS3 has all sorts of options for this kind of stuff. I messed around with them a bit with FFIX once, but I don't play on it enough to really screw around too much. I need to figure out how to make it automatically change settings when I put in PSX/PS2/PS3 games, because PSX games look like http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif when I'm using video settings of 1080i.

Mirage
07-08-2008, 06:55 PM
wouldn't it be the same anyway, if the image fills the entire TV?
Whether it is the PS3 or your TV that stretches and interpolates it shouldn't make that much a difference, should it? :p

Cyric
07-08-2008, 09:12 PM
wouldn't it be the same anyway, if the image fills the entire TV?
Whether it is the PS3 or your TV that stretches and interpolates it shouldn't make that much a difference, should it? :p

on a standard definition TV, it doesn't really make a difference, but try playing it on a hi-def TV and you'll see what I mean when I say the anti-aliasing is what makes the game playable...the pixelation is really bad...

Mirage
07-08-2008, 09:30 PM
I know what it looks like :p.

rubah
07-08-2008, 10:36 PM
I don't :(

leilei
07-13-2008, 08:58 PM
It's better if you do this in the PC version since vertex precision is higher there.

Vyk
07-13-2008, 10:01 PM
That is an admittedly pretty picture of FF8. I remember it being fuzzy. So thats nice. But isn't FF8 one of the last FFs available for PC? :P

Ouch!
07-13-2008, 11:19 PM
That is an admittedly pretty picture of FF8. I remember it being fuzzy. So thats nice. But isn't FF8 one of the last FFs available for PC? :P
Excluding FFXI, FFVIII was the last to receive a PC port. Emulation is another matter, of course.

Vyk
07-13-2008, 11:35 PM
That's what I meant :] Wouldn't versions made for PC look better than being emulated on PC? Not that it matters I suppose. I'd trust a console game over a PC game. Bugs are usually ironed out better for consoles (or... used to be. Designers got lazy these days with downloadable content everywhere)

rubah
07-14-2008, 12:23 AM
3d party kids can write nice filters to use when emulating. I don't know if they'd look any better
(and the PC version would still have higher res FMVs)

Mirage
07-14-2008, 12:48 AM
It's better if you do this in the PC version since vertex precision is higher there.

Vertex precision, that's the term I was looking for. It sure looks better on the native PC version, yeah.

Cyric
07-14-2008, 04:38 AM
HA-HA! I have FOOLED you all! j/k, but yeah, that snapshot is from the PSX version running on an Emulator (ePSXe)...I do have the PC version, but it has troubles detecting the CD whenever I try to load it up...I haven't tried running the PC version since I started ripping ISO's to my computer, so maybe I'll give it another go...the ONE thing I know that won't change is the tile-bug with nVidia cards...even with the nVidia patch, it still looks horrible...the only upside to the PC version is the savegame editor...:)...no need to worry about AP-grinding, no need to worry about drawing magic, no need to worry about summoning GF's like crazy just to get your compatibilities up...no need to worry about dying, really...it's the way GameShark SHOULD have been...lol...AND the PC-version comes with ChocoboWorld, so BONUS.

Mirage
07-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Yeah, that's cool, but why not just download a speedrun video of it and watch it?

Vyk
07-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Emulating is definitely a good work-around to having to deal with a buggy PC game