PDA

View Full Version : In shape?

Chemical
07-08-2008, 04:30 PM
How many of you are dissatisfied with your current health status and would like to be in better shape?

Do you lack the motivation to workout and change your diet?

What other barriers get in the way of you achieving a healthier lifestyle?

Do you think an EoFF Athletics support group could help motivate you through people sharing workout techniques, nutritional recipes and in general just sharing their experiences?

I've been struggling for a long time to become more active and healthy.
I certainly have come in long strides over the years from being active never to running 1 - 2 times a week and rock climbing nearly 3 times a week and taking yoga almost every other week.

But I wonder if having a network of people who have the same goals would help me more.

Polaris
07-08-2008, 04:42 PM
I think I am in a pretty good shape!:) I never went to the gym or made crazy diets it all depends on disciplin ^^

Do you think an EoFF Athletics support group could help motivate you through people sharing workout techniques, nutritional recipes and in general just sharing their experiences?
we have these? :confused:

Slothy
07-08-2008, 04:50 PM

I'm already involved with one of these over on the OC Remix forums actually and it's a good bit of fun. We have people check in every week to say how their workouts went during the week and most are pretty good about it, even when they haven't been able to do much. I'm personally way behind on my fitness goals for the summer. It's not so much a lack of motivation though, as a lack of time and the release of MGS4 that killed me so far.

Flying Mullet
07-08-2008, 04:51 PM
But I wonder if having a network of people who have the same goals would help me more.
Most definitely. Having friends that share active interests makes it a lot easier to get out and exercise. We belong to a triathlon club and a cycling club and are out with them on bike rides and such a couple of times a week. Half of the reason we go is for the social aspect, and the exercise we get is just gravy.

LunarWeaver
07-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Congratulations on your efforts Chemical =O!

I weigh a sickly 118 pounds xD Being underweight really isn't any more attractive than being overweight. I should probly eat a bunch and bulk up or something, but I don't think I could stick with it, even if I did have help. Failure and I have married each other!

rubah
07-08-2008, 05:04 PM
I've been pretty proactive about getting into shape this summer. This group might be a good idea! We could post our stats and how much we've worked out and calorie intake and everything!

leader of mortals
07-08-2008, 05:30 PM
I am not in shape, but most of the fat on my body is collected in my belly and my ass. I have a giant ass and I am a guy. Apparently, it is from my dad's side because a school teacher who used to live next door to us came up to me and grabbed me by the belt loop and said "You have the *insert my last name here* butt!".

I dont try to get ino shape because I am just too damn lazy. I know a lot about the importance of fitness, but I often just don't care. Sometimes when I am bored I will do push-ups or sit-ups or something.

I dont really eat a lot of bad food, just a LOT of normal food. not bad but still a little fatty. And I like to snack. Like with potato chips. I love potato chips. I can eat an entire bag every day. I don't, but I could.

NeoTifa
07-08-2008, 06:02 PM
im in shape...... cuz... circles are a shape.... XD

Peegee
07-08-2008, 06:05 PM
I'm not the type of person to tell somebody who goes out of their way to cook for me (*cough* you; parents) to change my diet for me (stop threatening to not cook for me; I'll starve to death in a weekend), but basically if I were on my own I'd eat a lot less food than I currently do.

Otherwise, I find myself stressing over not working out in order to socialize with friends. It's odd.

In terms of a social network to help a person stay active, it couldn't hurt. However self discipline is always number one.

To give you some sort of motivation or whatever, I did manage to lose twelve pounds once. I swam for an hour to two every day after work and I cut my caloric intake to what you might consider an absurd level.

And then World of Warcraft happened again. Curse that game.

Blue Harvest
07-08-2008, 06:09 PM
I am in shape! Round is a shape :tongue:

Jojee
07-08-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm always reminding myself to be more in shape. I just don't have the willpower to watch what I eat and exercise regularly Dx

Peegee
07-08-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm always reminding myself to be more in shape. I just don't have the willpower to watch what I eat and exercise regularly Dx

You're so silly. Unless you want to gain muscle or something, you're in great shape.

smittenkitten
07-08-2008, 06:16 PM
I think I could tighten my stomach and my legs. I use to be really fit and had tight abs because I walked everywhere and did work outs. Now I'm just lazy. :p

Dynast-Kid
07-08-2008, 06:36 PM
I need to get in shape. ;___;

I'm not terribly overweight or anything, and I don't pig out on chips and donuts, and crap like that. I do have a sweet tooth though (chocolate is my secret weakness). And I like meat too! I just don't excercise enough. I have a rather slow metabolism, and so I really should excercise more! I'm just a little too lazy sometimes! xD

I have a giant ass and I am a guy. Apparently, it is from my dad's side because a school teacher who used to live next door to us came up to me and grabbed me by the belt loop and said "You have the *insert my last name here* butt!".

I have a big butt too! But I like it though, 'cause it's gotten me compliments. :jokey:

I'm like, the Kim Kardashian of 14 year old boys! xD

Nog
07-08-2008, 06:40 PM
I've recently started to look after my health a lot more after realising that I'm heading to an early grave if I carry on the way I'm going. It's not that I'm particularly overweight (infact I consider myself to be underweight for my age) It's more to do with my eating habits not being that healthy. I'm fussy about what I eat, so I usually just eat the same foods to make things easier, foods which tend to be high in saturated fat.

The diet I'm on at the moment involves a lot of bread, soups, potatoes, fruit, and rice. It's hard to stomach at times if I'm being honest, but I'm determined to see it through, especially since I've also found out recently that my family has a history of early heart disease.

I would definitely support a EoFF Athletics group, as long as there is no EoFF version of Harvey Walden IV (http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wGf74n4WL.jpg) there to shout me down. :(

Zeldy
07-08-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm not overweight or anything and I am healthy, I'm just not fit. I'm not active enough; I go the gym for a few weeks, get bored and don't go for another year. I have a healthy diet (due to my parents, as they make all my meals, but also because vegetables have always been on my plate, whether I asked about them or even knew they were there, my Mum was so good at hiding sprouts in the mash or carrots and turnips xD). I like my healthy food though, I looove apples and eat millions of them.

I keep trying to go on diets but I love my chocolate and fizzy drinks too much, but I don't need to diet, really, I just need exercise. I'm around 8½ stone, and ideally I'd like to be just 8 stone :jess:

You know you're unfit when you get stitches in your side due to simply walking down the street, now that I've finished highschool I have no more compulsory physical education, which worries me. That was my only exercise a week those two hours!

tidus_rox
07-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Zeldy, since when have you finished highschool?
ANYWAYS
I think I am in good shape :)
I want to be SKINNY, though. Kinda weird. XD

Zeldy
07-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Zeldy, since when have you finished highschool?
ANYWAYS
I think I am in good shape :)
I want to be SKINNY, though. Kinda weird. XD
I finished in June after my GCSEs.

GrimmReaper
07-08-2008, 07:36 PM
im in shape. im 'fit'. not overrweight, possibly underweight for my job requirements, but whatever. however, im also lazy. i pretty much devote my entire working day doing my best to do nothing at all. and i love my sleep :)

i dont know how the lot works out, but it does.

Miriel
07-08-2008, 07:44 PM
The problem with me is that I'm so sporadic with my exercising.

For one week I could run 2 miles every single day. And then I take a break for whatever reason, because I have midterms to study for, or because I fell and hurt my leg, whatever. And then for the next month I won't exercise.

Once I'm in the groove, it's really easy for me to keep up with my exercise regime. But once I break that groove and stop for a day or two, it's really really hard for me to get back into it. It's this whole long process of getting my motivation back up and getting into that rhythm of exercising daily.

I don't eat all that healthily. I love food and it's hard for me to cut back on stuff I love like pastas and chips.

Rather than cutting back on the things I love, I'd rather just exercise like crazy. I can easily run 2 miles without aching like crazy, so I assume that means I'm in ok shape. 3 miles is pushing it though.

Jojee
07-08-2008, 08:05 PM

You're so silly. Unless you want to gain muscle or something, you're in great shape.

There's always room for improvement! :mog:

I do get a lot of motivation to exercise some days and then I go out running... I even went swimming the other day and I hate swimming. xD I have a membership at the gym too. Sometimes I get paranoid and think "Omg I need to exercise!!" But I don't regularly.

But most of the time, I'm just like "I'd like to exercise, but meh..." and I love junk food too much. :p

NeoTifa
07-08-2008, 08:09 PM

dude you copied me!!! :twak:

Blue Harvest
07-08-2008, 08:11 PM

dude you copied me!!! :twak:

I did?

*Checks*

Oops. Well you know what they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;)

Tallulah
07-08-2008, 08:15 PM
I have the body of a God. Buddha! :D

Now that I have to walk up a fairly steep hill to get home, I am getting a lot more exercise, and I am also trying to eat more sensibly by cooking my own meals. Unfortunately when I get home I can't be bothered.

I do live nearer the swimming baths now, so I am trying to go at least twice a week.

leader of mortals
07-08-2008, 08:44 PM
When I was still in school, I would walk 4 blocks to the bus, 4 blocks from the bus, walk to all my classes going from CAD on floor 1 to English on floor 2 to Math on floor 1 to Global Cultures on floor 2 to lunch on floor 1 to Biology on floor 3 to Gym on floor 1. So I did a fair amount of walking and I had Individual sports for gym.

The final exam for gym was to do 50 sit-ups in 2 minutes, which I did, 30 push-ups in 2 minutes, which I did quite well I think, an exam, and a 1/4 mile run which we had to do in 1 minute and I think 30 seconds. I did it in 1 minute and I think 40 seconds. For the run I was half way done with the run by the time the others were about a third, but I didnt pase myself and I went to last. People were making fun of my ass because they got a good look at it as I was quite ahead of them:p

Fonzie
07-08-2008, 08:49 PM
I work out every day. :p

fire_of_avalon
07-08-2008, 09:30 PM
How many of you are dissatisfied with your current health status and would like to be in better shape?
Yes.

Do you lack the motivation to workout and change your diet?
Kind of. It's more of a motivation vs. time thing. I don't really have time to be getting to the gym as they operate under funny hours at the summer and I work/have class at equally funny hours. But usually it's a motivation thing. It's not even that I dislike exercise, I actually do like to exercise. I'm just ... really lazy.

What other barriers get in the way of you achieving a healthier lifestyle?
Cost of food, time management, busy weeks vs. non-busy weeks, leaving town/free gym access for up to a month at a time and other stuff I'm sure.

Maybe if it was a real support group like "You did such a good job today Chemical" or "foa you know better than to eat cheese blintz's at 2 o'clock in the morning." If it was TODAY I RAN A MILLION MILES and that's it, I don't think that would motivate me at all.

I've been struggling for a long time to become more active and healthy.
I certainly have come in long strides over the years from being active never to running 1 - 2 times a week and rock climbing nearly 3 times a week and taking yoga almost every other week.

Maybe!

scrumpleberry
07-08-2008, 09:45 PM
I've got a pretty nice figure, and i'm in shape although could use a bit of toning but I'm not fit enough.

I think it's a good idea: it's be loads of help, especially with the summer panicky influx of "HALP I WANT BE MUSCKLY/SKINNY/HEALTHY" threads, this place would benefit from an EOFF FITNESS COMMUNITY!

but like foa said if it was full of people like Mulley going "HAR HAR I DID 33 TRIATHALONS AND CHANNEL SWIMS IN A ROW THIS MORNING EOFF, WHAT DID YOU DO???????" people might not find it quite so helpful, so i think the goals should mainly be to support one another and do your best to take advice and stick to things. I dunno.

Flying Mullet
07-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Ibut like foa said if it was full of people like Mulley going "HAR HAR I DID 33 TRIATHALONS AND CHANNEL SWIMS IN A ROW THIS MORNING EOFF, WHAT DID YOU DO???????" people might not find it quite so helpful, so i think the goals should mainly be to support one another and do your best to take advice and stick to things. I dunno.
I wouldn't do that. :sad:

rubah
07-08-2008, 10:07 PM
people could post both, it's not like it has to be a single method, especially if there would be a bunch of us in it.

Peegee
07-08-2008, 10:11 PM
How these things tend to work is that we post our stats and our plan, and update every so often of our status / changes.

It works very well in this other forum I go to actually!

scrumpleberry
07-08-2008, 10:18 PM
people could post both, it's not like it has to be a single method, especially if there would be a bunch of us in it.

Fair enough, that sounds good - mind I think the Mulley-type would be rarer.

leader of mortals
07-08-2008, 10:52 PM
*cough cough* social group *cough cough*

Chemical
07-08-2008, 10:52 PM
I've been pretty proactive about getting into shape this summer. This group might be a good idea! We could post our stats and how much we've worked out and calorie intake and everything!
Yeah that's a great idea. I'd also think it would be important to share weekly and monthly goals.

I have the body of a God. Buddha! :D
XD

Kind of. It's more of a motivation vs. time thing. I don't really have time to be getting to the gym as they operate under funny hours at the summer and I work/have class at equally funny hours. But usually it's a motivation thing. It's not even that I dislike exercise, I actually do like to exercise. I'm just ... really lazy.
I personally think the whole not having time is just an excuse because even if you can't get to the gym there are a lot of other things you can do. Swimming, jogging, biking etc. All you need is 1 hour of your time ;)
I just think that way though because i've used it as an excuse way too often.

Maybe if it was a real support group like "You did such a good job today Chemical" or "foa you know better than to eat cheese blintz's at 2 o'clock in the morning." If it was TODAY I RAN A MILLION MILES and that's it, I don't think that would motivate me at all.

I agree 100%
Of course it's important to celebrate eachother's accomplishments and acknowledge the achievement of our own goals. But yeah, I think it is most important that a support group focuses on eachother instead of the individual.

Peegee
07-08-2008, 11:11 PM
All I want to know is what you think I'm supposed to say every time you exclaim 'omg I'm so big!'

I personally prefer rolling my eyes. I think I'll keep doing it.

Rye
07-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Like Miriel, if I stay in a routine, I'll keep it, but once I stop for a day, it's insane to get back into it. Unlike her, I cannot even run a quarter of a mile to save my life.

My exercise regime used to be:

45 minutes of fast walking - 4 times a week.

Which killed me, so it deteriorated into

30 minutes of fast walking on an incline - 4 times a week

Which turned into 3 days, then 2, and now I haven't done it for a month. *sigh*

Not having time for the gym is just a big excuse for me, so now I'm trying to get myself into walking a mile or two after work a few days a week at night, once it cools down. My friend on LJ started doing that, so now I'm inspired too.

I'm in better shape then I've been for a few months, but I'm still quite unhappy with my body. My stomach is much too big. Being in an office job all this summer is either going to kill me or help me. Being inactive is no big different, but I don't really have snack access, and my lunch is rather healthy (a small sandwich and a small bag of 30 calorie apple slices), so I may end up losing quite a lot of weight if I don't drown myself in iced tea, like I did today.

I do make a habit of parking a bit away from my building though, so I get exercise going into my car and back. :jess:

Jojee
07-09-2008, 03:20 AM
I'm all for this group :mog: Someone make it! Or like... a forum/LJ/something somewhere for it xD I don't think a simple social group profile thing would suffice and I never check those anyway. :x

rubah
07-09-2008, 04:16 AM
maybe that's because you never had reason to check one!

Moon Rabbits
07-09-2008, 06:08 AM
I do make a habit of parking a bit away from my building though, so I get exercise going into my car and back. :jess:

Whooo. I started doing this too, except I just get off the bus a few stops early. I don't technically need to lose weight (121 pounds >. >), except none of it is muscle D: I started working out this summer around 45 minutes every other day, and I've always eaten more than should be humanly manageable, so we'll see~

Also - biking is the best invention ever for keeping in shape, I find biking fun, and it gets me places free.

rubah
07-09-2008, 06:38 AM
I think I'll make the group for this tomorrow if no one else wants to step up and do it (mulley)

Nominus Experse
07-09-2008, 07:53 AM
I am already in prime shape, but I think a social group that had this sort of title is a superb idea.

Drift
07-09-2008, 07:59 AM
once i stop smoking, i'm going back to the gym! on my days off work that is...

Miriel
07-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Anyone who joins the group and doesn't successfully get into better physical condition should be banned. How's that for motivation?

Banned Message: GTFO fattie!

Is that too harsh? :greenie:

Chibi Youkai
07-09-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm all up for a group like that. I'm in decent shape, and I can usually run a few miles with not a whole lot of problems, but motivation is a problem.
Mostly for me, I'd just like to tone up, Weight wise, I'm exactly where I need to be for my height.

Calliope
07-09-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm tempted to join in your silly game for the sole purpose of kicking all of your asses.

Jiro
07-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Apart from my disability and injuries, I'm in great shape. Could do with more upper body muscle and core strength, but I'm too lazy to work out. I just run heaps. Not to brag, but State Record holder... :D

DMKA
07-09-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm a total out of shape fatty. But now the opposing party in the current relationship I've entered is telling me I'm too skinny. o__O

Flying Mullet
07-09-2008, 12:38 PM
I think I'll make the group for this tomorrow if no one else wants to step up and do it (mulley)
I'll let you or someone else make it since everyone thinks that I'll be a big douche to everyone else for some reason.

leader of mortals
07-09-2008, 02:25 PM
I'll let you or someone else make it since everyone thinks that I'll be a big douche to everyone else for some reason.

Oh you know we are just joking. Us unathletic people need to make fun of more athletic people because it makes us feel better... or something like that.

Jess
07-09-2008, 03:05 PM
I am a healthy weight for my height and age. I'm 8st 7lb, which is 119lb. I'd love to make it down to 112lb but I'm too lazy.

I love my food, but I don't eat that unhealthily. I love some vegetables, such as peppers, onions, spring onions, iceberg lettuce, carrots and asparagus. and fruit such as strawberries and apples <3

I just used to be a lot more active than I am now - I used to dance twice a week, do karate, do kickboxing and I used to swim a lot too. I'd like to get back into something, I think. :jess:

Chemical
07-09-2008, 04:01 PM
I can't make the group :o
probably because there are some restrictions on Social Groups I'm not aware of because I never pay attention to the technical happenings of this place

GTFO FATSO

rubah
07-09-2008, 04:44 PM
kk here we go! hold on everybody

XxSephirothxX
07-09-2008, 04:49 PM
You people are just jealous because Mullet is a beast.

rubah
07-09-2008, 04:56 PM
phew

*invited everybody who had posted in this thread up until now, regardless of fitness level*

<a href="http://forums.eyesonff.com/group.php?groupid=22">Duh duh duh duuuuuuuh!</a>

any suggestions for a better description will be welcomed.

fire_of_avalon
07-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Anyone who joins the group and doesn't successfully get into better physical condition should be banned. How's that for motivation?

Banned Message: GTFO fattie!

Is that too harsh? :greenie:
Yes! :cry:

xD