PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Floppy Drive programs?

Peegee
07-08-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm trying to get a laptop to work -- it's infested with viruses. It's rather wrecked at this point. Right now I'm struggling with a 'stop: c000021a {fatal system error} the windows logon process stopped' error.

Should be an issue I can resolve by reinstalling the windows software (to reinstall the winlogon processes), except this laptop has a sata drive, so the windows install discs do not detect it. Yay -_-

I managed to find the sata drive drivers from the manufacturer site, but cannot integrate it with a windows image -- it wants to install it directly into a floppy drive (it doesn't have an inf file).

So instead of buying a usb floppy drive, I want to set up a virtual floppy drive that I can write stuff into. Then hopefully I can integrate whatever is written to the floppy drive into a windows image, and THEN create a new windows install cd.

phew.

I have looked up some softwares but do not know how it works. I have VFD (virtual floppy drive) and am not sure where to go from here.

crono_logical
07-08-2008, 10:15 PM
I had that problem a few months ago - I ended up using a whole virtual machine program (VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) in this case, open source/free version) with Windows installed in it to get a virtual floppy disk, from there I could then copy the drivers off and build the Windows image with nLite, all from inside the VM :D Perhaps it's overly complicated, but at least the build process was sandboxed :p

Yamaneko
07-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't try slipsteaming from an infected system.

Peegee
07-09-2008, 03:08 PM
haha no this is from my uninfected pc.

I am actually in the process of playing around with nLite but instead I burned the boot cd from nero, thus getting some caldera dos thing.

Still poking around with it -- it should let me create an iso.

edit: iso created but not able to load the sata driver

Mirage
07-09-2008, 04:59 PM
can't your bios let you use an USB mass storage device as a 'floppy'? Or maybe there is a way to make the BIOS make the OS think the SATA device is a PATA device?

Peegee
07-09-2008, 05:06 PM
can't your bios let you use an USB mass storage device as a 'floppy'? Or maybe there is a way to make the BIOS make the OS think the SATA device is a PATA device?

I see a lot of sata -> pata suggestions online but the bios version on this pc doesn't allow it.

I think I will spring for a usb diskette drive tonight if worse comes to worse

update: I'm giving this (http://healyourchurchwebsite.com/2008/03/14/how-i-fixed-my-stop-c000021a-fatal-system-error-with-knoppix/) a try. Basically use knoppix to copy back any bad files that might be on the laptop hard drive.

Need to get windows to run scandisk though. Hopefully can do this via knoppix' command line.

--

Can't run scandisk, but thinking about copying windows dlls over to laptop drive (this would be so much easier if it were a sata drive for a pc). I booted up knoppix but the hard disk [sda1] isn't letting me write to it. I tried to toggle that option but nothing happens.

---

Got it to work (had to unplug and replug in my usb drive a few times, and test internal copying within the hard drive to get it to work). Copying windows dlls now

--

lol -- A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer - Error code: 0x80070002

Tried a few fixes -- nothing seems to work.

--

Still on the same problem, more or less. Now there's no error msg but windows doesn't log on just as before.

The computer has an oem partition I cannot access. Shouldn't there typically be a recovery console button during post? None comes up.

--

Finally installed windows and can log in! Now to see if I can set the oem to allow the 'system recovery' to work (would be easier to do than to reinstall drivers)

head desk
head desk
head desk

o_O
07-10-2008, 12:20 AM
Could you just slipstream an XP installation disc from a non infected system to include SATA drivers?

Are you morally opposed to torrenting a pre-slipstreamed XP install disc? :p

A lot of the time, the recovery partition needs to be used in conjunction with the recovery disc that comes with the computer.

Peegee
07-10-2008, 04:19 PM
More like, I wasn't sure how to get it to work. I did however finally succeed in making an XP CD that does detect the hard drive (had to use nLite to burn, which I managed to skip the step of every previous time).

In a few minutes I should be finally behind this horror xD