PDA

View Full Version : Curse you VLC player! Curse you!

Bahamut2000X
07-08-2008, 09:24 PM
So I needed a program to run .mkvs. Long story short I got VLC player and without it even asking it overrided every piece of my media on my computer to be the default player. While this wouldn't have been a bad thing, the icon for it is just so grossly hideous I refuse to look at it for more then just it's start up icon. So I've been spending a while trying to find the controls to make it no longer default for anything that isn't .mkv, as that's all I really need it for.

So anyone have any suggestions or experience with this hideous program?

rubah
07-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Explorer.exe> tools > folder options > file type extension thingy.

I prefer mplayer, but it's kinda ugly on windows.
Uh, uninstall vlc and use media player classic instead? :D

Bahamut2000X
07-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks rubah, now everything looks pretty again.

I would use media player classic, but I've tried like 3 versions and none of which would work for me for whatever reason (I mean I got em to work on my brothers computer) and it was far too annoying to navigate all those obnoxious sites to find a single download.

crono_logical
07-08-2008, 10:10 PM
I've never had a problem with media player classic :p If you want a quick install of a recent version, use CCCP (http://www.cccp-project.net/) :p

Roto13
07-08-2008, 11:28 PM
That has never happened to me with VLC. :P

VLC isn't even good for MKV files. They stall and stuff. I use Zoom Player for MKVs.

crono_logical
07-08-2008, 11:52 PM
On a side note, ZoomPlayer is also included in CCCP so you can take your pick :p

Roto13
07-09-2008, 12:12 AM
I would like to note that that's where I got it, from your sig. xP

Momiji
07-09-2008, 01:29 AM

Same here. If you ever come across a fansub with really bad looking subs, they will look right on Media Player Classic. The only thing I don't like about MPC is that I can't change the audio and subtitles on my Mahoromatic episodes. It was a DVD rip, so it had both English and Japanese audio, but it's stuck on English and I can't change it. That's the only time I break down and use VLC.

crono_logical
07-09-2008, 01:37 AM

Same here. If you ever come across a fansub with really bad looking subs, they will look right on Media Player Classic. The only thing I don't like about MPC is that I can't change the audio and subtitles on my Mahoromatic episodes. It was a DVD rip, so it had both English and Japanese audio, but it's stuck on English and I can't change it. That's the only time I break down and use VLC.That seems to be a strange bug with MPC and .mkv files with multiple tracks - instead of changing the audio under Audio like for other filetypes like you'd think, you change it under Filters > (filename) instead :p But then, I've set my machine to pick the japanese audio by default anyway (it's actually a config setting of the Haali splitter it's using) so I rarely need to do that, unless the tracks are mislabelled or not labelled with their languages in the .mkv itself due to a poor encoder/releaser/whoever :D

Bahamut2000X
07-09-2008, 02:38 AM
Perhaps I'll try that cl_out. I seem to remember having issues getting the VLC player to play a video earlier today.

Namelessfengir
07-09-2008, 03:37 AM
you could change the icon for vlc player. make a 48/48 bitmap and rename it .ico

then replace the default vlc icon with the one you made

Rantz
07-09-2008, 10:25 AM
GOM Player (http://www.gomlab.com/) is the way to go, guys. It's like a better version of VLC that looks good.

Momiji
07-09-2008, 02:04 PM

Same here. If you ever come across a fansub with really bad looking subs, they will look right on Media Player Classic. The only thing I don't like about MPC is that I can't change the audio and subtitles on my Mahoromatic episodes. It was a DVD rip, so it had both English and Japanese audio, but it's stuck on English and I can't change it. That's the only time I break down and use VLC.That seems to be a strange bug with MPC and .mkv files with multiple tracks - instead of changing the audio under Audio like for other filetypes like you'd think, you change it under Filters > (filename) instead :p But then, I've set my machine to pick the japanese audio by default anyway (it's actually a config setting of the Haali splitter it's using) so I rarely need to do that, unless the tracks are mislabelled or not labelled with their languages in the .mkv itself due to a poor encoder/releaser/whoever :D

Okay, I got it playing in Japanese, but the subtitles won't play even if I tell it to...

EDIT: I can do it with the season 2 episodes, but not season 1. D:

crono_logical
07-09-2008, 08:02 PM
GOM Player (http://www.gomlab.com/) is the way to go, guys. It's like a better version of VLC that looks good.Being Korean and lacking source code, I don't put much trust in that application presently :p

Rantz
07-16-2008, 12:24 PM
GOM Player (http://www.gomlab.com/) is the way to go, guys. It's like a better version of VLC that looks good.Being Korean and lacking source code, I don't put much trust in that application presently :p

Well, I've had it for at least a year and m$y c{%6mput;r häs nô)8t tãken an=¤@ d[mag..-_((