PDA

View Full Version : Metroid Series!

KentaRawr!
07-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Let's just talk about the Metroid series in general here.

What do you think of the Metroid Series? What games in the series have you played? What's your favorite? Etc. etc.

Now discuss or else.

Heath
07-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Hah, I should just copy-paste that conversation from #eoff yesterday!

I've played and completed Super Metroid, Metroid, Zero Mission, Fusion and Metroid Prime. Although I've not played too many of the games, I really enjoy them. The stories are interesting enough but I really am a fan of the relatively simple but dependably entertaining gameplay style. I like the exploration and making note of places to return to when I've a new piece of equipment. Oh and the Ridley fights. I've been playing a fair bit of Metroid lately; I finished a replay of Zero Mission the other day and I started a new game of Prime today!

Fire_Emblem776
07-09-2008, 01:02 AM
I loved super Metroid, but I never got to finish the GB metroid, my file erased -_- At least my file on the wii wont erase lol.

KentaRawr!
07-09-2008, 01:04 AM
Oh, yeah. I remember that conversation.

Prime is a really great game. Probably my favorite in the Prime Games. I won't spoil anything, but I disliked Metroid Prime 3's closure to the Prime Games, and also its lack of connection to the main metroid series.

Markus. D
07-09-2008, 01:40 AM
Super Metroid is STILL one of my all time favorites n-----n

Ramza Beoulve
07-09-2008, 01:45 AM
I completed all the numeric metroids (metroid, metroid II, super metroid, metroid fusion), and I did it again in my metroid frenzy some months ago (including zero mission). I like them, but the prime series not that much (Prime 3 sucks X6).

Dreddz
07-09-2008, 01:47 AM
While I'd still like to try the Prime games the rest of the series doesnt interest me. Granted I have only given Super Metroid a good amount of my time, if I cant get into that then I doubt Ill get into any one of the other games.

KentaRawr!
07-09-2008, 01:56 AM
While I'd still like to try the Prime games the rest of the series doesnt interest me. Granted I have only given Super Metroid a good amount of my time, if I cant get into that then I doubt Ill get into any one of the other games.

What didn't you like about Super Metroid? And what interests you about Prime? :monster:

Roto13
07-09-2008, 02:06 AM
I've played little bits of Super Metroid, Metroid 1, and Metroid Prime. I've finished Metroid 2. (I got it way back when it came out. Bought it with my Kool-Aid points. :P) None of them have really been able to hold my interest. I kind of had to force myself to finish Metroid 2. Actually, I quit playing soon after I got it. It wasn't until years later when Smash Bros. came out that I started playing it again. I was like "Oh, hey, Samus. She's cool. I should play Metroid 2..."

Dreddz
07-09-2008, 02:06 AM
What didn't you like about Super Metroid? And what interests you about Prime? :monster:

You know I probably couldn't tell you why I disliked Super Metroid. It just never clicked with me. Maybe its heading down the desolate corridors with no sense or direction that turned me off. I don't crave linearity but a game where you wander aimlessly just gives me no satisfaction. I'm sure that didn't answer your question. Eh....

As for Prime, well I have observed someone playing the game and the change of perspective made things look more inviting. I know its fundamentally the same style of game but in first person but I'd still like to try it. Although to play it I'd have to buy a Gamecube or Wii. And buying a system for a game which I'd most likely dislike wouldn't be one of my wisest decisions.

Masamunemaster
07-09-2008, 03:56 AM
what has kept me farr away from prime 3 is the fact of how it is on the wii...if they would make it to where you dont have tro use the chucks then I would try it at least

ljkkjlcm9
07-09-2008, 04:07 AM
I've played every Metroid released to date. On every system. NES, Gameboy, SNES, GBA, DS(Metroid Prime:Hunters), GC, Wii. I enjoy each and every game. As for my favorite? I'm really not quite sure. I enjoyed Metroid Prime 3 the most of the prime series, solely for the controls. It really does feel so much more natural. But the story of the first Metroid Prime was my favorite of the Prime series.

I really liked the Zero Mission remake of the original, it added so much more to the game. The original will always remain a classic, but unless you know what you're doing, the game is almost impossible.

I don't know, in summary I enjoy all of them, probably because of the endless exploration they involve.

THE JACKEL

Roto13
07-09-2008, 04:13 AM
what has kept me farr away from prime 3 is the fact of how it is on the wii...if they would make it to where you dont have tro use the chucks then I would try it at least

I haven't played it, but the general consensus seems to be that the controls for Metroid Prime 3 are awesome.

Masamunemaster
07-09-2008, 08:25 AM
well I heard that the sensitivity is way to high and even the slightest movement made it go across screen

ljkkjlcm9
07-09-2008, 08:35 AM
well I heard that the sensitivity is way to high and even the slightest movement made it go across screen

the sensitivity is adjustable, and it's actually best on a very high sensitivity. People that do huge arm movements when they play the Wii are just silly/dumb. No game ever needs anything more than small wrist movements. I can sit, lay down, etc while playing the wii. I can rest my hands in my lap and still control everything as well if not better than people that try to get way into the games.

THE JACKEL

Krelian
07-09-2008, 08:58 AM
I played Metroid, Metroid II, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2. I guess my favorite is Metroid Prime, it was a fresh game experience with good story and gameplay. I liked Super Metroid a lot, too. Sadly, I sold it when I was younger :( I never finished Metroid 1 and Metroid Fusion, though.

KentaRawr!
07-09-2008, 03:01 PM

You know I probably couldn't tell you why I disliked Super Metroid. It just never clicked with me. Maybe its heading down the desolate corridors with no sense or direction that turned me off. I don't crave linearity but a game where you wander aimlessly just gives me no satisfaction. I'm sure that didn't answer your question. Eh....

The lack of direction is what led me away from Metroid 1. I felt a lot more like I was being led in Super Metroid, which is why I was able to beat it. Then again, I also beat the game without mandatory items by mistake. Maybe I was just confused. >_>

Slothy
07-09-2008, 03:09 PM
I've played Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. I like Super Metroid, though I always get bored and don't finish it. There's a point where exploration turns into aimless wandering for me because I don't know where to go or what to do next so I lose interest. I'm pretty sure I'd have to use a guide to avoid that. As for Metroid Prime, it gave me a better sense that I knew where I was going throughout, but then it turned into a god awful fetch quest in the end so I took it back to the rental store and swore to never bother with the series again.

KentaRawr!
07-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Well now, I guess I WAS confused. :p

scrumpleberry
07-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Oh, I think they're great fun! I've never played past the first couple of levels on any of them, but I can't think of a single game in the series that I dislike. Also Samus ftw.

Breine
07-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Samus is a total badass.

I own Metroid Prime and it's the only Metroid game I've played. I really like Metroid Prime a lot, and so far playing it has been entertaining. I'd really like to get into the rest of the series - I've been looking for Metroid Prime 2 for ages, but haven't been able to find it, and if I ever get a Wii I'll download the older games available.

Chzn8r
07-09-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm sure I could expound for hours about how much I love the metroid series. It's my favorite video game franchise of all time.

Instead I'll just give the ones I've played, ranked...

1. Super Metroid
2. Metroid Prime
3. Metroid Fusion
4. Metroid
5. Metroid Prime 2
6. Metroid 2: Return of Samus
7. Metroid Zero Mission

even towards the bottom of those list, they're still great games. Zero Mission was kind of a let-down (I got hyped up for a remake of 1 and it was not at all like what I expected). I've yet to play much of Metroid Prime 3 because all I've seen of my friends playing it and people talking about it makes me think I wouldn't like it that much. Seems too deviant from the spirit of Metroid games.

I really really want a new 2D entry to the series, by the way.