PDA

View Full Version : Apartments/Flats

Rye
07-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Inspired by BoB's lovely new couch:

I love apartments. I don't know why, but I'd much prefer to live in an apartment from the rest of my life than a house, as long as the apartment is nice. If I ever become rich by any stretch of the imagination, I will reside forever in an apartment on the upper-east side of Manhattan. However, as that's unlikely to happen, I'll probably eventually buy a house, because nice apartments get very expensive in the long run.

BoB's new couch reminded me how much I want an apartment. After my first year of college, I'd really like to try to rent a small cheap one in Rhode Island. Depending on where you get one, they can be pretty cheap. Something to think on for the future. I just love apartments. :)

Do you live in an apartment?
Is it nice?
How much do you pay a month?
Do you enjoy it?

Old Manus
07-09-2008, 01:03 AM
It's a flat goddamit :mad2:

Jowy
07-09-2008, 01:04 AM
I live in a second floor walkup on the one way street from hell. Our bedroom walls are paper thin, so the neighbors have probably heard us having sex numerous times since we can hear them fighting at 2 AM and singing select tracks from <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Goin-South-Various-Artists/dp/B000050XUQ>Goin' South</a>. The place is pretty nice, however. Nice sized rooms, huge freakin' attic, came with kitchen furnishings. My only complaint is the lack of bathtub, instead we have a college dorm shower. Our rent is absurdly cheap, we don't have to pay for water/electric/sewer/garbage at all, just our TV/Internet/Phone. It's got it's ups and downs here, but I've seen much worse apartment wise.

rubah
07-09-2008, 01:15 AM
why not rent a house or buy an apartment!

Caraliz
07-09-2008, 01:17 AM
I can't wait to move out into a house. :D

Shlup
07-09-2008, 01:39 AM
My apartment sucks. It looks nice, but the people who run it probably have about a third grade education. Just plain morons. I guess that's what you get for only $1090 a month though.

Jowy
07-09-2008, 01:53 AM
I pay half of that, wow.

Caraliz
07-09-2008, 01:56 AM
We pay $700 a month including utilities. We only pay for phone/internet/tv.

I wish it were cheaper. ;_; It's in such a http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifty little town too.

Balzac
07-09-2008, 02:00 AM
I used to live in a flat/appartment when at uni. Then I mocved into a house. I have to say, living in a flat/apartment was so much easier.

Rye
07-09-2008, 02:09 AM
That's insanely cheap for Brooklyn! Good job on that. I didn't know you lived in NY. =O

Kirobaito
07-09-2008, 02:12 AM
You had to bring it up. ;-;

I'm currently living in an apartment by myself. I hate living by myself.

It's all right, I guess. It's a block from campus, with large bathrooms.

I pay $360/month, with water, cable, and internet included in all rooms. I have two roommates to pay the same amount, though, so I guess you could say that it's like $1080 a month plus electricity.

I do not enjoy it, because I am living by myself and I hate living by myself.

Miriel
07-09-2008, 02:22 AM
I feel ya, Rye.

If I was super rich, I'd totally be living in one of Los Angeles' delux apartments overlooking the 3rd Street Promenade and have it completely decked out in comfortable chic furniture.

But I'm not super rich, so throughout college I've lived in some damn ghetto apartments. My first apartment Sophomore year I shared with 3 other girls and we furnished it with random stuff we got for free from Craigslist. It was a TINY place, but still like $1400 a month. Next I moved into another apartment that had a horrible roach problem, and some really nasty THING lurking under the kitchen sink. It was pretty bad.

Then I moved into an apartment in a building complex that my dad owns, so I got to stay there for free. The building is over 100 years old, but strangely enough, it was in the best condition out of all the apartments I've lived in. It was actually pretty great. And I had this bathroom with a genuine cast iron tub. It's lovely.

I'm moving up to San Francisco next year (which I like to think of as the cleaner, friendlier and better weather version of New York) and it would be so awesome to have like a penthouse in the City. But again, not rich! Boo! San Francisco's housing prices are actually higher than Manhattan. So that should give you some idea of how impossible it would be to have a fancy Sex and the City type apartment in SF. But a girl can dream....

Rye
07-09-2008, 02:36 AM
San Francisco does seem pretty friendly and pleasant, whenever I picture it I think of Danny Tanner's smiling face and the opening credits of Full House, so it gives me happy feelings. I would like living there too!

It's probably more expensive than Manhattan over all because it seems (I have no clue) like it's all an overall pretty nice area, while some parts of Manhattan are insanely ritzy and nice (Upper East Side right by Central Park, where my singing teacher's singing coach lives~ <3), but then some parts can be pretty ghetto.

Avarice-ness
07-09-2008, 02:56 AM
I had a studio apartment which was essentially the same as a hotel room with a kitchen area, an area for a bed or a sofa (I had a twin bed and then a sofa) and then the kitchen and a bathroom. It was pretty tiny.

It was 590$ for rent.
And about 60$ Max for electricity. Heat and Water paid for.

Misfit
07-09-2008, 04:17 AM
I live in a second floor walkup on the one way street from hell. Our bedroom walls are paper thin, so the neighbors have probably heard us having sex numerous times since we can hear them fighting at 2 AM and singing select tracks from <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Goin-South-Various-Artists/dp/B000050XUQ>Goin' South</a>. The place is pretty nice, however. Nice sized rooms, huge freakin' attic, came with kitchen furnishings. My only complaint is the lack of bathtub, instead we have a college dorm shower. Our rent is absurdly cheap, we don't have to pay for water/electric/sewer/garbage at all, just our TV/Internet/Phone. It's got it's ups and downs here, but I've seen much worse apartment wise.
We have a gangster midget that walks the streets here, too. True story 8-)

Slothy
07-09-2008, 04:59 AM
Moving into my first apartment in August, and though it's the nicest apartment I've ever seen, I prefer houses by a long shot. Side effect of being a drummer I guess.

Yamaneko
07-09-2008, 05:58 AM
If you have a family you'll want a house otherwise it's pretty useless unless your purchase was specifically made to garner equity.

Shibuyeah
07-09-2008, 07:11 AM
Is it nice?
Do you enjoy it?Yes. I have decked it out in things I enjoy/want. The cost of living differs greatly depending on what the general pay is in an area! It is nice enough, but not where I want to live.

Buying something, whether it be a house, condo, houseboat, or whatever, is far more sensible than renting housing for the rest of your life. I want to settle down on a stake of land that is mine!

Iceglow
07-09-2008, 07:41 AM
I live in a house share with a lot of other people who are all Polish. I guess so long as it's not my mom's and it's with my girlfriend I can survive it.

The house used to be a family home and has a stylish kitchen and lounge but bedrooms and the bathroom leave something to be desired. Our room is quite cramped because we have full fitted wardrobes (1 mans wardrobe with shelves at bottom, 1 womans wardrobe without shelves at bottom and 1 linen closet which is actually my corner for my books and dvds ect) Alongside these huge wardrobes we've got a full width of room dressing table which acts as a desk, place to put my 360, ps2 and tv and whatever else is needed. This dresser has 2 chests of drawers in it. Add a double bed and even the biggest of the bedrooms in the house is a little cramped for space.

This problem is typical amongst early 20th century housing built before or around the time of world war 2. Add to it that it's in the heavily bombed parts of East London and you can understand when I say that the houses here are very cramped. It's also terraced meaning theres neighbours either side of the house.

I want to move in to a single bedroom flat not a studio apartment or a bedsit (bedsits are similar to what I am in now after all) a 1 bedroom flat. In Whetstone where I used to live with my mom, these come at around £180 a week excluding all bills. Whetstone is a nice part of town and known for it's expensive housing so I'm hoping to pay no more than £200pw for a place exclusive of bills. To be very honest the block where my ex lived, although not exactly attractive was a nicely sized block of flats including 1 and 2 bedroom ones of fair size I wouldn't mind renting one there if I could. I'm also looking at the cost of a boat house to rent though most of these will be taken I feel.

Ultimate place to live if I get the money together? In London? Probably would like to have a docklands penthouse apartment since they're really nice and stylish and also generally come fully furnished to a very stylish quality. If I had plenty of money however I'd love to have a house somewhere down in the west country near the coast. Something quite isolated but not completely cut off and with it's own land so I could expand and do what I like with the ground (within reason and with planning permission for structural changes) Maybe on the edge of a small village/town. What I'd do is have an indoor heated swimming pool built and make sure the house is both stylish and modern but still very natural it'd be the kind of place you see featured on Grand Designs.

Rantz
07-09-2008, 09:21 AM
I've been living in my own flat for 4 or 5 years now. It's a nice flat in all regards apart from being a bit too far from the city core, but then I only pay around $380 for it.

Calliope
07-09-2008, 10:35 AM
My flat is awesome. It's six rooms in total, is fully furnished, includes utilities and a ride to work every morning. The only stuff that would make it better would be if I didn't hear my little friend running around, the cat came back, and Spuuky Wuuky was here. I think he liked my flat, but I'm not sure.

DMKA
07-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Yes
Nothing special
$325 a month
A lot more than my prior living situation

Breine
07-09-2008, 03:51 PM
I still live at home, in a big house. I'll probably move into some kinds of apartment when I move to a bigger city to study, but until that time comes I enjoy being fed and not having any expenses. :bigsmile:

Blue Harvest
07-10-2008, 12:51 PM
I live in a house.

Jojee
07-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Yep, I've lived in an efficiency apartment with ex-bf and that was the most terrible thing ever. Worse than dorms.

After that I subleted the basement of a house for a summer, and that was great. ^^

For the past two years, me and housemates have been renting the bottom floor of a house. I get my own room, we have a huge living room, a kitchen, dining room, and bathroom. It's a 3 bedroom house and currently there's 3 of us. We pay ~$370/mo, then ~another $80/mo for utilities and internet, and every three months we pay ~$50 for water each. It's not so bad considering what we're getting. ^^

I'll be sharing an apartment with a new roommate that I don't really know well (I've met her twice~) when I go to law school in Illinois. :3

Tallulah
07-10-2008, 11:40 PM
I live in one-bedroomed terraced house, literally a two-up, two-down. It's quite a new build (no more than around 15 years old) but in quite an old style. There's no entrance hall, you just come straight into the living room. It's a pretty good size for me.

I pay £340 rent, plus around £200 bills.

smittenkitten
07-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Yes I do, I live with BoB! ^__^

Is it nice?
Yeah it's much better than our old one. :p

Nothing I let BoB pay it. :D

Do you enjoy it?
Yeah it feels good not living with my parents and is cosy enough. :)

Peegee
07-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Apartments are nice but they are also not very roomy.

We found a somewhat excellent deal for our townhouse. I am extremely happy with my house (with the exception that in the summer it is too damn hot to sleep in my room, even when I am naked). Sure I could have saved something like 100$ a month to move into an apartment, but we would not have nearly as much space.

Randgris
07-11-2008, 06:04 PM
If I had the money, I'd probably buy a condo unit or a house. Apartments are just temporary for me. Oh yeah I still live at home.

rubah
07-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Yes
Nothing special
$325 a month
A lot more than my prior living situation

that's the amount my dad was charging for his 'project house'; a small four room house with some appliances out in the boonies. What is yours like?