PDA

View Full Version : dubya tee eff, mate

rubah
07-09-2008, 05:34 AM
Have you ever devised an intricate system and then totally forgot how to work it? (Or known an intricate system by heart and totally forgot how to use it, such as video games).

At the end of my senior year, I foresaw this day and printed off the records of every single accelerated reader test I'd ever taken. Then I proceeded to mark it up with -, +, |, ____, and <span style ="background: #11C; color: white;">highlight</span>.

But what does it mean?! I didn't write in a legend, and there's too much effort here for it to be meaningless (there's uh, six pages of records). AAAAAAARGH.

oh hey, maybe the + is just a mix of the - and |. That would be like me. But still, what do they mean?

~*~Celes~*~
07-09-2008, 05:58 AM
I don't know =[

And yeah, the system thing happens to me quite a lot. =[

Kes
07-09-2008, 06:09 AM
I used to create alphabets and codes that I'd only remember for a week. Finally I got fed up with that and created an alphabet that is essentially the Roman one with some weird distortion that makes other people confused. I've remembered that for more than four years.

I also have about four years worth of creative writing pieces locked under passwords and I don't remember a single one of them.

Moon Rabbits
07-09-2008, 06:30 AM
I took Latin in grade 10 and forgot all of it by grade 11. It only took me a few weeks to learn it all again though. Although, I've forgotten all of my grade 11 Latin, so grade 12 will be fun :eep:

I do this a lot when I am programming, too. I'll have methods and procedures for specific tasks, etc, and come back to an old program a month later and totally forget how it works.

rubah
07-09-2008, 06:32 AM
I used to create alphabets and codes that I'd only remember for a week. Finally I got fed up with that and created an alphabet that is essentially the Roman one with some weird distortion that makes other people confused. I've remembered that for more than four years.

I also have about four years worth of creative writing pieces locked under passwords and I don't remember a single one of them.

I made quite a few cyphers several years ago, I'm sure I could recreate them because I memoried a couple of words and I'm fairly sure the cypher started 'mrsstewartisdumb' or something like that, except without the duplicate letters.

Yamaneko
07-09-2008, 06:35 AM
I just commit everything to memory.

Balzac
07-09-2008, 06:37 AM
Yeah, I do this a lot. Especiall with render settings and lighting. I'll write them down as just the values and then forget which values go where.

Nominus Experse
07-09-2008, 07:55 AM
I know something of this nature has occurred, but I cannot recall a specific instance. This must mean that such occasions are exceedingly rare, which is clearly beneficial.

Caraliz
07-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Your first post intrigued me, then confused me, then intrigued me. Do help?

Heath
07-09-2008, 10:44 AM
By and large I don't trust myself to remember so I'll be very specific about any legend that I write down. Typically I will remember it in the end to spite myself and will have made my notes seem just that extra bit daunting by adding more information on them. Having said that, it's rare that my notes consist of much more than the notes themselves.

Jiro
07-09-2008, 10:55 AM
I forgot everything I needed for my IPT exam last term. But, due to being super awesome (ha, yeah right) I remembered a few things and passed :D

Tallulah
07-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Simultaneous equations. I have completely forgotten how to do them, and they were an integral part of the math paper. :(

o_O
07-10-2008, 12:41 AM
I often write code to take up the smallest number of lines possible or for maximum efficiency, and when I go back to it later I wonder what the hell I was trying to do. :p

Example (a fizzbuzz (in Ruby, not PHP) :p):
def fb(n,a,b)1.upto(n){|x|puts"#{(x%a<1)?"fizz"+((x%b<1)?"buzz":""):(x%b<1)?"buzz":x}"}end;fb(100,3,4)

rubah
07-10-2008, 02:57 AM
what praytell is a fizzbuzz xD

Mogi
07-10-2008, 03:02 AM
I used to write notes all over the edges of scans to remind me of what to add during CGingness, but they were always like "Do nose different."

WTF.

o_O
07-10-2008, 04:25 AM

For some n, a and b; it iterates from 0 to n, printing "fizz" for multiples of a, "buzz" for multiples of b, "fizzbuzz" for multiples of a and b or the number of the iteration for multiples of neither a or b. :D?

You get asked to write that kind of crap at programming interviews. :p

rubah
07-10-2008, 04:58 AM
well good job making it so short then!

Jiro
07-10-2008, 05:50 AM
I was rather good at simultaneous equations, but I started getting overwhelmed. So I dropped out of the top maths class :)
Now I'm sitting on A+ and enjoying bludging. I don't even turn up to some lessons, I learn more staring at walls.

Moon Rabbits
07-10-2008, 06:40 PM

For some n, a and b; it iterates from 0 to n, printing "fizz" for multiples of a, "buzz" for multiples of b, "fizzbuzz" for multiples of a and b or the number of the iteration for multiples of neither a or b. :D?

You get asked to write that kind of crap at programming interviews. :p

That seems deceptively simple.

rubah
07-10-2008, 07:17 PM
oh my gosh mike, I think I understand the logic of that snippit. @_@

(The source is strong with this one. . .)

o_O
07-11-2008, 02:20 AM
You should write your own then! :p

It's exactly the same as this Ruby script, only condensed into one line with one space. :p:

def fb(n, a, b)

if (x%a == 0)
print "fizz"

if (x%b == 0)
print "buzz"

elsif (x%b == 0)
print "buzz"

else
print x
end

print "\n"
end

fb(100, 3, 4)

rubah
07-11-2008, 04:38 AM
being able to read something does not necessarily equate to being able to write something xD

Quindiana Jones
07-11-2008, 09:23 AM
I made up my own written language, and used it for a year to write notes to my mates. :D

I've totally forgotten it.