PDA

View Full Version : First days

Jings
07-09-2008, 07:40 PM
So I started my first day as a barman yesterday and it did not go as well as I'd hoped. My first pint, for example, was a total unmitigated disaster. I did not realise it was possible for so much foam and so little lager to come out the tap, luckily I started getting the hang of it after a few less than acceptable attempts. I also managed to break a glass and give someone too much change, and I was only in for two hours. Plus I'm a bit socially awkward so I'm not the greatest at chatting to the customers. So yes, not the greatest first day.

My first proper shift is on Friday night, six until closing time, which I'm absolutely dreading. All I had to serve yesterday was pints, bottles and the odd wine. On Friday we're going to have people order all sorts of crazy stuff, I don't even know what a slippery nipple is never mind how to make one. I rarely go out to bars and when I do I'll order a Corona or a Magners, that'll all. So I know very little when it comes to alcoholic drinks.

So has anyone else had a terrible time on their first day in a new job? I know there has been a few job threads recently but I don't think any has covered this.

Denmark
07-09-2008, 07:52 PM
The first day's always the worst. Once you get the hang of it though I'm sure everything will get better.

Rye
07-09-2008, 07:56 PM
You can do it, stick with it! :)

My first day at my new job was okay. It was a little boring because my laptop didn't come in yet, and I was shy, but everyone was real friendly. My friend who works there brought me to a restaurant with her Mom on the first day, and they got me a meal, it was so kind of them. I love it.

Tallulah
07-09-2008, 08:25 PM
A slippery nipple is Sambucca and Baileys, just for reference. We used to have triple servings in Jailhouse Rock! :D

I had such fun in training for my current job! About three of my training group have now left, though, but we had a right laugh. Our trainer, Ad, even used to come to the pub with us.

theundeadhero
07-09-2008, 08:28 PM
The first week of my job is called hell week. I wouldn't want to do it again.

rubah
07-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Whatta-burger has a two page cheat sheet of the various abbreviations they use when taking orders.

sissy burger = lettuce tomato
our way = something somethign slice of apple
RB RC
WB WC
DB DD

regular burger, regular cheese, whatta-burger, whatta-cheese, double meat burger, double double (double meat with cheese)

and I don't even remember what else