PDA

View Full Version : My screen cwacked

Vermachtnis
07-10-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm on my sister's laptop at the moment. And that's because my laptop's screen cracked. There was a line running through it for awhile now and I didn't think much of it, but then it just cracked. There was like a X running through it now and I can't see the bottom right half of my screen. Is there anything I can do?

crono_logical
07-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Is it still under warranty? :p

Vermachtnis
07-10-2008, 10:57 PM
I was afraid of that. :(

Do you know what they will do? Will they just replace the screen or will replace the whole computer?

Mirage
07-10-2008, 11:02 PM
They'll just replace the panel, costs them a bit less, but more importantly, your warranty won't reset, like it would if the entire laptop was replaced. Also, have fun trying to convince them the screen cracked just from nothing... That's really unlikely.

Do you have an insurance for it that covers accidents and such?

Vermachtnis
07-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Well maybe I should have phrased it better xD. It didn't just crack break out of nowhere. My desk collapsed awhile ago and that caused the white line and it's been growing. But nothing too bad, just a little annoying. Then when I set my laptop down it made a noise and just was cracked.

I have no idea if I have insurance for that.

o_O
07-10-2008, 11:22 PM
A laptop screen isn't that difficult to replace, so unless there's something else wrong with the laptop I assume they'll replace only the screen. Once an LCD screen is cracked, the liquid crystal usually leaks out of its little chamber in the middle, so repairing them is not exactly easy if possible at all, unfortunately.

Vermachtnis
07-10-2008, 11:31 PM
That's good because, believe it or not :p, I take good care of my stuff.

Peegee
07-10-2008, 11:34 PM
Piece of advice, from an employee who had to transfer clients to vendors:

Don't tell the truth. Concoct a story where you were carrying the laptop in its travel bag and that normal (ie non destructive or negligent) means led to the crack.

Then again, I don't know how cracked it is. If it's a small crack, usually it works.

Good luck with replacing the screen.