PDA

View Full Version : psp vs original thoughts

dodhungry
07-11-2008, 04:38 AM
Today I bought the psp version of FFT and so far I have found it quiet entertaining. Being a long time player of the original and it being one of my favorite FFs I thought I would try this new version out, although after reading some of the changes I was kinda skeptical. So this thread is mainly for the people who enjoyed the original but are like me and not sure if they want to spend the money on the new version or just for new peeps in general.

Obviously I have not gotten very far into the new version but here is what I like so far:
1) The new translations are great. It seems like it brings the story more to life than the original. Although some of the line changes such as "Blame yourself or God" were taking out I believe the new will surpass the quality of the old very quickly.

2) I like the voiceovers. It brings a new depth in the characters that was not in the original. This goes along with new cutscenes with from what I can tell the original music score.

As I get further into the game I will talk more about what has really impressed me about the new version.

However there are some things that I dont like about the change. Mainly this

Names have been changed to protect the Algus.....

Ok learning new names is not that big of a deal but I did when comparing Corpse Brigade to the original Death Corp the sound of Death Corp is for one easier to spit out and two just sounds cooler.
Of course I had to throw in an Algus bash somewhere because what is the fun of Tactics if you dont bash Algus :rolleyes2

I guess I will get used to these new names and such and hopefully as the game progesses it will work to its benefit in clarifing which side is which.

Hopefully I have shared some insights to other players and hope this helps and like I said before I will try and update as I play through. :tongue:

BG-57
07-12-2008, 07:40 PM
The name changes aren't a real major issue for me, but I hope that newcomers to the series will forgive me for continuing to use the old spellings. It's more a matter of habit than preference.

Are you going going to use Rendezvous mode? If not, let me know if not getting the rare stuff affects gameplay (especially Onion Knight). It's the major thing holding me back from getting the PSP version.

Vivisteiner
07-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Just wait for the cutscene in the Church. One of my favourite cutscenes of all time.

Man, I still need to unlock Dark Knight. I'm too lazy.

Ziekfried
07-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Thank you so much for that bit on the "Corpse Brigade" that was a huge rant for me. Corpse Brigade sounds like their a bunch worhtless soldiers who might as well be dead, which is how they were treated of course. But Death Corps sound more ominous like they bring death wherever they fight, like a real deadly force, oh well.

Anyway I just though some of the new names sounded stupid and are hard to get used to.