PDA

View Full Version : An inconvenient truth...

Goldenboko
07-11-2008, 05:06 AM
Our resources are so very precious to us and we're running out. So the next time you fill up your car; just don't... its that simple.

Do you do anything to help the environment?

blackmage_nuke
07-11-2008, 05:41 AM
I dont turn on the air con. But then again i dont object when someone else does.

rubah
07-11-2008, 05:42 AM
<a href="http://forums.eyesonff.com/eyes-each-other/118005-sustainability.html">I try, sometimes</a>.

Moon Rabbits
07-11-2008, 05:46 AM
I don't drive.

But I don't really put an effort into recycling, so I guess that doesn't really matter :)

Lone Wolf Leonhart
07-11-2008, 05:55 AM
This world is doomed because no matter how many people want to change the environment for the better, there will always be more people who really just don't care. I would want to help the environment if our efforts would in the end actually do some good, but at the same time I don't even want to bother wasting my time for a cause that might not even work.

I'm indifferent on conserving or saving energy.

Shoeberto
07-11-2008, 05:55 AM
I drive very little these days. I've also been trying to create less waste.

qwertysaur
07-11-2008, 05:59 AM
I reuse things and reduce my own waste and use of energy.

Rengori
07-11-2008, 06:06 AM
I plan on living somewhere where I don't have to own a car. It's good for the environment, walking around everywhere is healthy, and I don't have to pay for gas and insurance. Sounds good in my head.

Caraliz
07-11-2008, 07:58 AM
I recycle cans and bottles for the 5 cent deposit. We made 20 dollars last time.

Balzac
07-11-2008, 08:00 AM
I don't drive. I recycle because we're basically forced to here.

Zeta
07-11-2008, 08:00 AM
Without a major world government action, little stuff isn't gonna do anything. One person filling up their car when we're going through hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil a day just isn't going to cut it. Bottom line is that there are many things that could be done, but people in power would lose money, so they won't do anything.

I don't like politics but it's simple to see that nothing's going to change.

Jiro
07-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Unfortunate, but true. I do little bits, but its for my own self benefit. Like saving water and stuff

Rye
07-11-2008, 01:00 PM
It's not simple to not fill up when you have a 20 mile commute every morning. If I rode my bike to work, it'd take me hours! xD I don't live right in NYC, where I can take the subway. I live out in the 'burbs where you have to drive everywhere.

Sorry, it just bugs me when people who don't drive or have cars say that it's so "simple" not to have one. I can't have mommy drive me around for the rest of my life. :jess:

I recycle though. When it's an nearby place, I walk, but more for my own health than anything else.

Cz
07-11-2008, 01:15 PM
I don't drive, and I recycle a good proportion of my litter. Those things are pretty easy for me because I live in a city with an extensive transport network and a good recycling program. I also try not to use lights unecessarily and to conserve water. I'm often guilty of wasting food, but that's the only wasteful thing I do.

Quindiana Jones
07-11-2008, 01:24 PM
This world is doomed

No, it's not.

I don't do much, simply because I don't do enough to cut down on. If that makes sense.

blackmage_nuke
07-11-2008, 01:44 PM
I never throw anything out, i dunno if thats good for the environment but its not wasting resources.

Madame Adequate
07-11-2008, 02:00 PM
I don't drive at all, but that's because I've not got around to learning yet. Too po' for a car, you see. But I need to get my licence within the next year or so. I don't do anything to save the environment because I don't believe my individual contribution would matter a whit - nor would the individual contributions of everyone. There needs to be a change in government and industry, not ordinary people's households.

And besides, oil prices are so high that people are choosing the more conservative options anyway. Pressure will force the necessary technological changes.

I never throw anything out, i dunno if thats good for the environment but its not wasting resources.

You must have an impressive collection of jizz rags.

Flying Mullet
07-11-2008, 02:25 PM
I work from home. My wife carpools 3-4 times a week. Our recycling bin typically has more in it than our trash can on trash day, which isn't a lot. The electrical provider we use is 100% green(wind/water, etc...). We keep the thermostat generally higher in the summer and lower in the winter(plus it's cheaper). We recently bought a new car that gets 30 mpg.

Overall, yeah, I'd say we're pretty green.

Captain Maxx Power
07-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Do you do anything to help the environment?

I've considered killing myself. And possibly as many other people as possible. If I manage to kill say 20% of the world's population then all should be well.

Our resources are so very precious to us and we're running out. So the next time you fill up your car; just don't... its that simple.

Also this statement is full of fail, ignorance and a general lack of understanding about others and how people have to live their lives. Why not tell people to lie down on the pavement and wait to starve to death, cause it's pretty much the same fuggin' thing.

Psychotic
07-11-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm willing to tolerate damage to the environment in order to sustain my standard of living. (yes, I appreciate a damaged environment lowers my standard of living too)

Gogo
07-11-2008, 03:18 PM
I am dead, and therefore very environment friendly.

Avarice-ness
07-11-2008, 03:43 PM
I don't drive a car.

But I will soon.

And I will use all the gas that's needed because if I'm driving somewhere, it has importance. Groceries, Baby needs something, I need something, Bruce needs something. I don't drive places unless I have a good valid reason too.
Yeah I don't really have intentions of pulling up to the gas pump and going "You know, I'm going to carry my 2 month old in the 100 degree weather for two miles so we can get her some VERY MUCH needed medicine or diapers, just so I can help save the planet a tiny bit"

With that said, the most I'll do is recycle. I took a bus for a year instead of calling a taxi to take me everywhere.

As for gas, at this point I don't think gas emission should be our main worry because from what I've heard (or what speculation my dad gets from the middle east) we'll be damn lucky if we can even afford gas.

Sorry, it just bugs me when people who don't drive or have cars say that it's so "simple" not to have one. I can't have mommy drive me around for the rest of my life. :jess:
I agree, and it's not even people who don't drive or don't have cars. From what I've seen, it's also people who have cars but don't drive much and since they don't have a reason to drive as much, apparently others shouldn't. My dad commuted 60 miles everyday to get to work, my bro-in-law comutes 45 miles a day, there's -NO- way they could have walked there and they couldn't get there via bus system or carpooling, and there's NO WAY my bro-in-law could quit his job because you CAN'T quit the army. And it would have been COMPLETELY unreasonable for my dad to quit his job because.. well it's kind of hypocritical for a guy in the oil field to quit his job to help the environment, not only that both me and him would be out of a job because he paid for my busing every day to work, can't get to work, can't make money to pay my bills. Yeah, sorry I don't think any person in their right mine would make their families suffer for the planet.

Like I said in the above, I'm going to -need- a car at times if other's don't agree with the fact I'll need a car with an infant and town with no bus system then I would like them to back it up with valid healthy reasons, and bikeing or walking miles with a baby in the heat of the summer in Texas is NOT a valid reason. I'll put my needs and the needs of my family before the environment anyday.

Goldenboko
07-11-2008, 03:49 PM

Also this statement is full of fail, ignorance and a general lack of understanding about others and how people have to live their lives. Why not tell people to lie down on the pavement and wait to starve to death, cause it's pretty much the same fuggin' thing.

Or maybe its full of joke from a movie? Oh yeah didn't think of that. Just wanted to beat up on GoBo, well, not today sir! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=y4gk8anOhsg)

Breine
07-11-2008, 03:52 PM
I have no driver's licence and I recycle whatever I can. Also, I'm a freak when it comes to turning off switches and stuff at home. It's become a sport for me.

Jess
07-11-2008, 04:00 PM
I drive everywhere. I live in the middle of nowhere, and in a village. The public transport is rubbish, comes when it feels like it and it never regular and it's expensive.

We recycle, though. Cans/bottles/cardboard/clothing materials/garden waste/plastic/tins/foil. Yes. :jess:

Quindiana Jones
07-11-2008, 04:25 PM
I think the only time you shouldn't drive is when you're not going anywhere. When you're just driving in circles for the sake of it. Saying that, it's your car. You can do whatever you like.

Were I a multi-billionaire, and Master of the Earth, I'd invest a buggerload in the awesomeness that is the air-powered car. Bollocks to this crappy hydrocar arsechip. Then I'd ban combustion engined cars and use their skeletons for other things.

Like dominoes.

BardTard
07-11-2008, 04:40 PM
I don't drive a car. I take the bus. But that's because I don't have a license. But jeez with gas prices these days I don't want to own a car!

Old Manus
07-11-2008, 04:55 PM
The world isn't doomed. We aren't running out of resources. I still turn lights and stuff off though, if only to save money on the electricity bill.

Peegee
07-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Consider biking and only using cars only when absolutely necessary (read: very very rarely -- buses > cars)

If you have to drive, buy a vehicle with very good fuel economy. Sometimes I complain to myself that I have a car that "only" has 33 / 46 mpg -- I should be able to get a better car (like a Toyota Prius). My thinking is that once I get rid of this Mazda 3, I should be able to get an electric car, thus making my dent on the earth much lower than somebody who is say, 10 years older than me or more (who would have to go through 2/+ cars before electric cars become available).

Telecommute. I haven't been to the office in like almost half a year now.

Remove lightbulbs in rooms that are rarely / never entered. There aren't any lightbulbs in my room. I use a flashlight if I need to find something. Alternatively, turn off the light when you leave a room (I am terrible at this btw)

Use a manual push-lawnmower (I don't, but it came to mind)

Shovel snow with a shovel for once (I never understood snowblowers)

rubah
07-11-2008, 06:16 PM
if you have to drive, don't drive fast. you shouldn't drive 45 on the interstate because you'll ruin what little fuel economy everyone else has (and cause more accidents according to dr unne and foa), but on the highways, for shya.

little things, you know?
(the difference in time is pretty close to nil unless you're driving cross country at a difference of 30mph)

Heath
07-11-2008, 06:27 PM

Or maybe its full of joke from a movie? Oh yeah didn't think of that. Just wanted to beat up on GoBo, well, not today sir! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=y4gk8anOhsg)

Regardless of where the quote is from it doesn't make it any less silly.

I don't drive but - like others - that's down to not having a licence and a lack of money to get one and run a car. I recycle a lot because I live in one of the areas of the UK where recycling is essentially compulsary as we only have bin collections once a fortnight. It's an easy adjustment to make and it annoys me all the whining that people with weekly bin collections do at the thought of having the same system as us because in most cases it's just laziness. I walk when I can, always turn things off and use a lot of public transport. I don't think I'm terribly wasteful.

Captain Maxx Power
07-11-2008, 06:27 PM

O joyous, a reference to an obscure movie that many people have probably never seen, coupled with a complete lack of obvious parody. No way anyone could misconstrued what you were really trying to say. :mad:

Goldenboko
07-11-2008, 06:38 PM

O joyous, a reference to an obscure movie that many people have probably never seen, coupled with a complete lack of obvious parody. No way anyone could misconstrued what you were really trying to say. :mad:

Thats why this was posted general chat, and not EoEo. :D Anyway, it wasn't suppose to make sense or have anything to do with my views. Haven't you all learned to not take a thing I say seriously yet? xD
Now, stfu, or I will cut you with a linoleum knife.

~*~Celes~*~
07-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Our house has been using those spiraly light bulbs instead of incandescent bulbs lately. That's about it. The people who used to live here stole our recycling bins so we didn't have any when we moved in.

rubah
07-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Guys, just because GoBo tried to make a joke and it fell short doesn't mean you have to be nasty. Saving the world is super important and everything, but it's not worth living if you have to be mean to do it.

C'mon, think hippies. Think Laddy. Love! Peace!

Also, Celes, "fluorescent", as in Fluorine ;)

theundeadhero
07-11-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm one of the evil people who just don't care.

Rengori
07-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Now, stfu, or I will cut you with a linoleum knife.
I'm not quite sure whether or not I should hate you for ruining a classic movie intro or love you for actually being cool enough to know that.