PDA

View Full Version : This game gets kinda....WTF?

Zeta
07-11-2008, 07:41 AM
I just re-opened this one since I still haven't beat it. FF IX is kinda hilarious and odd and yet lovable. The character design is beyond ridiculous (Hippo-people running through Alexandria?), the serious moments are almost still funny (Okay Garnet cuts her hair and becomes different? Maybe I should try that...) and then I love the FF I references, they really make my day.

Honestly I can't tell if this is one of my favorites or more confusing than X-2, but I love it. Can't wait to play the last disc! (I'm at the end of 3 now)

NeoCracker
07-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Hippo people bother you, but fluffy pink things with wings and giant yellow chickens don't? That's the real WTF my friend.

And it's called sybolism.

A change in ones physical being is a very common and effective way to symbolize a change in the persons mental or emotional being..

And how is this game at all confusing?

Zeta
07-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Hippo people bother you, but fluffy pink things with wings and giant yellow chickens don't? That's the real WTF my friend.

And it's called sybolism.

A change in ones physical being is a very common and effective way to symbolize a change in the persons mental or emotional being..

And how is this game at all confusing?

I like it besides the hippo-folk which confuse and infuriate me!

The giant yellow chickens are tradition, it's just something there, and so are the moogles, they're just established. I haven't seen any hippo-folk in any games. I liked the character design in this one but it got goofy at times.

It's just that a lot of things seem to come from nowhere in the character design. Though I like the humor it just seems some moments should've been more serious.

NeoCracker
07-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Any moment in that game that should have been serious was. What moments do you think weren't serious enough?

Quindiana Jones
07-11-2008, 09:55 AM
I can see what you mean, but I love the fact that not everyone is strictly human.

Rantz
07-11-2008, 11:08 AM
The many inhuman characters helped liven the game up for me, make it vivid and life-affirmative. To be honest, it was a mild disappointment to me that not more games in the series had used this.

DragonBuster88
07-12-2008, 09:36 PM
I agree I was glad non humans came back after FFVIII.

Bahamut2000X
07-12-2008, 10:07 PM
I agree I was glad non humans came back after FFVIII.

There have been non-humans since FF I. Far before VIII. Each game had it's own level of non-humans, especially if you count the monsters (which are in essence non-humans). As far as human like non-humans in towns, they have still been done. FF IX was the only one to really put forth effort to make the world's towns inhabited by more then just a billion humans and about 5 other total other persons non-human.

Heath
07-12-2008, 10:54 PM
The many inhuman characters helped liven the game up for me, make it vivid and life-affirmative. To be honest, it was a mild disappointment to me that not more games in the series had used this.

I agree. I really liked the non-human characters myself. I thought it made the game more interesting and varied. There's a lot of attempts at different cultures in the series at large, but I felt that FFIX did it rather successfully with clear differences between Alexandria, Burmecia, Lindblum, Treno and Cleyra on the Mist Continent alone.

Also yeah, the whole haircutting thing was a rather nice and symbolic scene. The haircutting itself was only a way of showing that Garnet has become her own woman and is not being controlled by people such as Kuja or her mother any longer.

Rye
07-12-2008, 11:15 PM
I really love this game and the non-humans as well. Even the summoners with their horns just made it much more fascinating.

Pouring Rain
07-12-2008, 11:45 PM
This has to be one of my favorite Final Fantasies. There's such an amazing storyline, and it's really intoxicating. It just draws you in, you know? And there's such a moral in it. Being your own person, and leadership, and finding things out for yourself.

Vivisteiner
07-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Lets face it: humans are boring.

Seriously though, I dont see why anyone would have a problem with hippo people... I just dont get how it could detract from the experience, seeing as their role is very minor. Anyway, I love non-humans. :D

Marky Tee
07-13-2008, 02:03 PM
the whole series is like sex and ff9 is the orgasm

Bahamut2000X
07-13-2008, 03:25 PM
the whole series is like sex and ff9 is the orgasm

That is easily the greatest quote I have ever read in my life.

Marky Tee
07-13-2008, 03:51 PM
you have obviously never watched ricky gervais live and heard about his favorite leaflet

theundeadhero
07-13-2008, 05:53 PM
I find hippo people to be ridiculous but I can get over it. If you're going to use non-humans hippos, alligators and lobsters are the way to go.