PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Rock Subgenre

Laddy
07-13-2008, 06:12 AM
Alright, vote, now. Please.

I like Alternative, Prog, Psychedelic, Classic, and Good Ol' Regular Rock.

EDIT-I did not intend to press 'Southern Rock!'

EDIT2

Here are some examples...

Rock-The Strokes
Classic Rock-Led Zeppelin <3
Punk-The Ramones (ugh)
Alternative-Nirvana
Metal-Metallica (ugh)
Southern Rock-Lynard Skynard
Prog-Kansas
Emo-Fall Out Boy (ugh)

Vermachtnis
07-13-2008, 06:26 AM
I like classic, arena rock, and metal. Metal is fun to listen to. Get weird looks when going down the street with that blasting.

Laddy
07-13-2008, 06:30 AM
I didn't include Arena Rock because it could easily fit into Classic Rock. Much like Grunge (Alternative), Screamo (Ugh, Emo), Art Rock (Prog), and Psychdelic Rock.(Prog/Classic)

Rengori
07-13-2008, 06:34 AM
Metal. Alternative. Prog. Those ones. But mostly metal.

EDIT: Also, emo easily falls under punk/hardcore.

Bunny
07-13-2008, 06:36 AM
Alternative and Progressive, mainly. A little bit of Metal to balance it out.

Roto13
07-13-2008, 06:45 AM
Alternative and Classic Rock, but I accidentally voted for Rock instead of Classic Rock. :(

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Punk and Alternative are my main genres. But Metal and Rock are also included.

And emo is a stupid genre because it could really be any genre of music because people base emo off of lyrics and looks, not sound. But most emo would fit into the Alternative genre. Not punk/hardcore. NOFX does not equal Dashboard Confessional. And screamo doesn't fit into emo either. I would put it closer to hardcore than anything else. Usually.
Music is much to confusing these days.

I picked emo too, though. -grumble grumble-

Arc_Master_14
07-13-2008, 10:32 AM
everything but southern and not liking it lol.

Ace14
07-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Love punk :heart:

Emo and alternative are great too

Laddy
07-13-2008, 07:02 PM
I never did like Punk, it rarely does anything mind-blowingly original, IMO.

Metal isn't melodic or pretty enough, it's usually far too unpleasant to be interesting.

Emo is like all of the bad parts of punk, but with insipidly stupid lyrics that make 'emotional' kids wanna inflict harm upon themselves, that it somehow makes sets itself apart from Punk, it's parent genre.

I like Rock, because, seriously, it's the original. It's behind everything else.

Classic Rock affected Metal and Prog a lot. It's so nostalgic yet brilliantly original.

Alternative can be weird and strange, yet beautifully composed it is amazingly awesome. Weezer does this best.

I would include Southern Rock, but I'm sick of the lot of Southerners down here who consider eveything 'Southern Rock' when it's actually not at all.

If I had to state my overall favorite genre ever, Prog could maybe, just maybe, take it all. It combines beautiful symphonic sounds and techno-like sounds to create one beautiful, symphonic, and powerfuly moving experience.

I Don't Need A Name
07-13-2008, 07:19 PM
almost all of them tbh
you missed out screamo ¬_¬ (its different to metal)

Rengori
07-13-2008, 07:43 PM

Metal isn't melodic or pretty enough, it's usually far too unpleasant to be interesting.

Emo is like all of the bad parts of punk, but with insipidly stupid lyrics that make 'emotional' kids wanna inflict harm upon themselves, that it somehow makes sets itself apart from Punk, it's parent genre.

Way to make general statements about two of the widest subgenres of rock (metal and punk), both of which often delve into the things you say they don't, and go along with the stereotype that emo kids hurt themselves.

Laddy
07-13-2008, 08:20 PM

Way to make general statements about two of the widest subgenres of rock (metal and punk), both of which often delve into the things you say they don't, and go along with the stereotype that emo kids hurt themselves.I think your missing my point.

Maybe it's because I dislike Punk, but it's just bland to me. Metal, I never said didn't try anything new, it just does not appeal to me the slightest, it may be safe to say I hate it the most out of all of them (Though Ozzy osbourne can be ok in small bits.)

Regarding emo kids, yeah, I'm being a bit snarky, but whatever, Emo sucks.

Shattered Dreamer
07-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Alternative is my favorite genre of music because it refers to a wide range of stuff. For example Interpol & 30 Seconds To Mars are both alternative despite how different their music is

Momiji
07-14-2008, 12:27 AM
I think 'alternative' sums it all up. I don't listen to rock much lately anyway.

Caraliz
07-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Indie.

Bloodline666
07-19-2008, 07:18 AM
Been a metalhead for nearly a decade. Usually, I listen to thrash, but lately I've been getting into Floridian Death Metal, namely Death and Cannibal Corpse.

Gogo
07-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Indie.

Qft.

Moon Rabbits
07-20-2008, 04:53 AM
I see no "avant-garde."

El Bandito
07-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Indie.

I was going to say this, but the more I think about it, the more I think most of my favorite indie rock artists are more pop or folk than "rock" per se.

Also, I'd disagree with art rock being the same as prog rock. For instance, I'd say a band like The Mars Volta (prog rock) is vastly different from a band like TV on the Radio (art rock).

Also, I love ska, but it would be unfair to judge it as punk since that's really only 3rd wave.

Meh, who am I kidding, arguing about genre is just about one of the silliest discussions you can have when talking about music.

daggertrepe
07-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Alternative=love.

MushroomZOMBIE
07-21-2008, 03:52 AM
"I think your missing my point.

Maybe it's because I dislike Punk, but it's just bland to me. Metal, I never said didn't try anything new, it just does not appeal to me the slightest, it may be safe to say I hate it the most out of all of them (Though Ozzy osbourne can be ok in small bits.)

Regarding emo kids, yeah, I'm being a bit snarky, but whatever, Emo sucks."

First of all, you do NOT know what emo is.

Example emo bands: Rites of Spring, Sunny Day Real Estate, Moss Icon, Orchid, Antioch Arrow, etc.

They don't exist anymore, of course. People barely know those bands. Yes, I listen to both Rites of Spring and SDRE.

Balzac
07-21-2008, 10:55 AM
I listen to them all.

About your comment on metal. How can you say it isn't melodic? It has undertyings to classical music. Which it why is so easy for these orchestra's to convert it over.

MushroomZOMBIE
07-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Some forms are. You could tell, becuase of genres like: Melodic Death Metal. Some others are more chaotic and "noisy" ("Brutal" metal).

There was an orchestra who played Metallica songs. I dislike Metallica, but it's pretty cool hearing metal tunes from cellos and violins. A nice, fresh concept. =]

Laddy
07-26-2008, 04:14 PM
"I think your missing my point.

Regarding emo kids, yeah, I'm being a bit snarky, but whatever, Emo sucks."

First of all, you do NOT know what emo is.

Example emo bands: Rites of Spring, Sunny Day Real Estate, Moss Icon, Orchid, Antioch Arrow, etc.

They don't exist anymore, of course. People barely know those bands. Yes, I listen to both Rites of Spring and SDRE.
I know what Emo is, I'm simply poking harmless fun. I like emo kids, I just dislike their music and Alex Evans.

BizarroSephiroth
07-26-2008, 06:19 PM
I see no "avant-garde."

AHA YES!
bands like:
Fantomas
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

great music

id go with either Prog or Metal or Classic, three biggest ones i listen to

your forgetting Neo-Classical Metal too btw
yngwie malmsteen!!

Yar