PDA

View Full Version : Trumpeteering

rubah
07-13-2008, 10:51 PM
This thread is about musical instruments you play.
(or make noise with anyways)

I bought a trumpet last summer and had the idea to dig it out and finally learn to play it. I practiced a little bit but never really learned any notes, so it was just making noise, mostly. But I printed out a fingering chart and learned the c scale, and I can almost play it smoothly!

(I get stuck with the embouchure change between F and G and B and C ;DD)

Anyways, I'm stuck building up lung power and learning the rest of the notes so I can bide my time away playing chromatic scales and etc.

I do take pride in the fact that with what equates to three days practice, I sound at least as good as some of our, ahem, last chair players when they played their scale tests xD (Sad as that is)

~*~Celes~*~
07-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Played clarinet for 8 years in school and I still have it here with me after graduating. I don't intend to keep on with it in college, though, because it's more of a hobby than it is a "omg I plan to continue my musical studies and/or teach music!" thing.

I've downloaded sheet music for some FF music that I intend to print and play:greenie:[/nerdism]

Laddy
07-13-2008, 11:46 PM
I am a vocalist, anything from rock to opera. I have also been in a few musicals. I am interested in filling up for a Prog band that needs a singer.

I dabble in Guitar, though I do not own or formally play for one.

o_O
07-14-2008, 01:58 AM
I've played drums, guitar and piano in a band. I played piano for the longest, since I was about 8 but drums are my main instrument now.

Tama2
07-14-2008, 03:32 AM
Drums and Piano. : ]

Vyk
07-14-2008, 03:54 AM
Guitar and Piano. Had a Violin and Autoharp but they gots stoled

Avarice-ness
07-14-2008, 03:58 AM
I would like the world to know that I hate trumpets.

I play saxophone, and in band the FREAKING TRUMPETS were told to stand up to bring the sound out. YEAH, to bad they were RIGHT IN MY EAR. It was horrible. I can't stand trumpets.

I started playing Alto Sax my 5th grade year and played in band until my senior year, as of now I haven't picked my sax up in about a year and a half.
Taught myself how to play the flute when I was a Sophmore in high school but haven't touched the flute since I touched my sax.
Other than that, I sing, varsity all in high school, honors from 5th to 8th. Singing is my passion by far.

My husband plays self-taught piano, he plays by ear and can't read music, but no matter -what- you play for him he can play it back on the piano after fiddling for a bit. When I say anything, I mean anything, you play a Beethoven peice and he will play it back. I make fun of him and call him an autistic savant, 'cept he gets mad 'cause I called him autistic.
He also plays Drums, and has been playing since high school. He loves the drums to death, so I plan on buying him Roland TD-20S V-Pro Electronic Drum Set and more Electronic Drum Sets at GuitarCenter.com. (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-TD-20S-V-Pro-Electronic-Drum-Set-447842-i1320750.gc)
as his "YAY YOU DID GOOD IN BASIC AND AIT" present. I got electronic because.. well.. 3 month old baby + drums = crying alot. But 3 month old baby + drums w/headphones = happy baby and happy mommy!

We're going to put our daughter in piano lessons when she's three. Assuming both our musical talents have combined into our little girl, she should be pretty epic with an instrument.

Momiji
07-14-2008, 04:34 AM
I would like the world to know that I hate trumpets.

I play saxophone, and in band the FREAKING TRUMPETS were told to stand up to bring the sound out. YEAH, to bad they were RIGHT IN MY EAR. It was horrible. I can't stand trumpets.

I started playing Alto Sax my 5th grade year and played in band until my senior year, as of now I haven't picked my sax up in about a year and a half.
Taught myself how to play the flute when I was a Sophmore in high school but haven't touched the flute since I touched my sax.
Other than that, I sing, varsity all in high school, honors from 5th to 8th. Singing is my passion by far.

My husband plays self-taught piano, he plays by ear and can't read music, but no matter -what- you play for him he can play it back on the piano after fiddling for a bit. When I say anything, I mean anything, you play a Beethoven peice and he will play it back. I make fun of him and call him an autistic savant, 'cept he gets mad 'cause I called him autistic.
He also plays Drums, and has been playing since high school. He loves the drums to death, so I plan on buying him Roland TD-20S V-Pro Electronic Drum Set and more Electronic Drum Sets at GuitarCenter.com. (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-TD-20S-V-Pro-Electronic-Drum-Set-447842-i1320750.gc)
as his "YAY YOU DID GOOD IN BASIC AND AIT" present. I got electronic because.. well.. 3 month old baby + drums = crying alot. But 3 month old baby + drums w/headphones = happy baby and happy mommy!

We're going to put our daughter in piano lessons when she's three. Assuming both our musical talents have combined into our little girl, she should be pretty epic with an instrument.

I used to feel the same for the same exact reason. I wouldn't mind trading my alto sax for a trumpet now, just because I love the sound of them now.

Anyway, I used to play alto sax and I used to play guitar as well... I'd like to learn to play the piano or trumpet sometime though.

Balzac
07-14-2008, 05:43 AM
I play guitar, bass, a little bit of banjo and some piano.

Vermachtnis
07-14-2008, 07:35 AM
Drums and keyboard a little. Also the almight Recorder! I'm on my third recorder. My friend keeps chucking them somewhere. I'd be half tempted to learn how to play it if, Hot Cross Buns wasn't already the best recorder song ever. Also dual welding Recorders makes everything solid a drum.

~*~Celes~*~
07-14-2008, 08:17 AM
In our school band, the trumpets were behind (or next to, depending on where at in the section you sat) us clarinets. Our first chair trumpet would seriously play until his face was purple and so everyone would be deaf afterword ;-;

Arc_Master_14
07-14-2008, 08:26 AM
I play guitar hero and rock band... seriously thats about it. But I'm planning on learning real guitar.

Kes
07-14-2008, 09:15 AM
I play my iPod!

No, actually I used to play the cello. I never put too much effort into it though. I haven't picked one up for about a year. They're just too expensive to play for self enrichment reasons and I don't really have anywhere I can or want to play. I do miss it.

Pete for President
07-14-2008, 09:34 AM
I've been playing electric guitar in a punkrock 'n roll band for the past 5 years :choc:

rubah
07-15-2008, 09:53 PM
<a href="http://www.snowy-day.net/stuff/music/trumpet - c-scale.mp3">have an mp3</a>

<span style ="font-size: 6pt;">by clicking the above link you are agreeing to not hold me liable for any aural damage that occurs to you</span>

Kirobaito
07-15-2008, 11:52 PM
<a href="http://www.snowy-day.net/stuff/music/trumpet - c-scale.mp3">have an mp3</a>

<span style ="font-size: 6pt;">by clicking the above link you are agreeing to not hold me liable for any aural damage that occurs to you</span>
You sound like you're splurting. One stream of air for the whole scale, only interrupting by tonguing. You also shouldn't be having to change your embouchure between F and G. If you need to that probably means both are incorrect. Don't worry about trying to hit third-space C, that will come with practice. Trying to go too high before you're supposed to can lead to both pressing and (as you seem to have pointed out) changing your embouchure as opposed to letting the air flow faster. Mess with middle C-G, doing it with one airflow, not separate airflows for each note. You make sound by buzzing, but getting a steady airflow through the instrument is just as important, as well as an appropriate embouchure.

(Learning wind instruments is pretty hard without a teacher, as you're much more likely to develop bad habits than with other types of instruments)

I've played piano on and off since I was about 5 or 6. I took lessons until I was 10 or 11, and it wasn't until I quit that I began to enjoy the instrument.

I played French Horn in Concert and Marching Band from 6th-11th grade, and also dabbled some in Trumpet. I did not enjoy being told what to play (similar to my experience in piano), but now that I've quit I don't actually own either instrument, even though I may enjoy it some now.

My love is for the acoustic guitar, though, which I started when I was about 15, teaching myself how to fingerpick by listening to my favorite folk artists. I've not had lessons (and probably never will), but I've gotten good enough to get paid to play it, I guess, so that's something.

I also am a vocalist, though never <i>a capella</i>. I need my guitar. I took a few voice lessons from my piano teacher back when I was about 10, because I loved to sing but had no sense of pitch. Basically, those lessons gave me a semblance of pitch and the rest took off from there. I love to sing, and people tell me that I have a nice voice quite often.

So yeah... I like music.

Raebus
07-15-2008, 11:53 PM
I've blown quite a few trumpets in my time.

The Unknown Guru
07-16-2008, 07:48 AM
I have played the drums for about 4 years now. I'm in a band! :hat:
I'm also trying to teach myself bass, because it's way easier than guitar. No ugly chords to worry about.

Also, Avarice-ness: You probably shouldn't buy an electronic drum kit unless it was specifically asked for. They invariably sound awful and synthetic.

Gogo
07-16-2008, 03:56 PM
I don't know how to play any instruments.. at all! - and it sucks big time! I'd love to be able to play the piano and/or guitar. It'd be so great.

blackmage_nuke
07-16-2008, 04:26 PM
I play some keyboard and guitar but theyre both the most common instruments ever so on any type of comparrison to the average skill level I am excessively lame. Though I think i get a good sound of them which is really all that matters and honestly some of the really complex piano songs and guitar solos though impressive in thier skill level and complication sound totally crap to me.

I have a violin I found in the garage but I can usually only get one okay sounding note out if im lucky.

Rantz
07-16-2008, 04:27 PM
I took lessons for flute, guitar and saxophone (in that order), but I got fed up with all of them. The lessons, that is, I've always enjoyed playing and learning to play.

I tried to teach myself ocarina over the web but I quickly found out my ocarina was mostly ornamental. :(

Randgris
07-16-2008, 05:43 PM
A recorder... I know how to one-hand play the piano....

Avarice-ness
07-16-2008, 06:01 PM
I have played the drums for about 4 years now. I'm in a band! :hat:
I'm also trying to teach myself bass, because it's way easier than guitar. No ugly chords to worry about.

Also, Avarice-ness: You probably shouldn't buy an electronic drum kit unless it was specifically asked for. They invariably sound awful and synthetic.

He wants it, it's the exact drum kit he'd play every single time we'd go to Guitar Center, even with the actual drum sets there, he'd go to this one. The only thing that annoyed him was the cost but now he doesn't care, and don't worry I'm not paying -that- much money for something that sounds like crap.

Meow
07-17-2008, 05:05 AM
electric noodle recorded acoustic via trashy cellphone at 12am wooo

Balzac
07-17-2008, 10:18 AM

You'd be surprised.