PDA

View Full Version : E3!

KentaRawr!
07-14-2008, 01:37 AM
E3!

Yeah!

So, what do you look forward to seeing at E3? Personally, I'm hoping for some new things on the Wii, specifically games. I want to see how The Conduit does with its gameplay demo, and I want to see more of SADNESS and Project H.A.M.M.E.R., if they're not on the way to cancellation. I already have too much to like on the PS3 and X-Box 360, so I'm not really looking forward to their E3 Conferences.

What about you? What do you look forward to seeing or hearing about? Or do you not really care about E3?

This card is here to note that the topic is most definitely going to change in less than a day.

Shoeberto
07-14-2008, 02:12 AM
I wanna see The Conduit, fo sho. Also hoping for some kind of announcement from the big N regarding online (maybe something involving their pay-to-play service they mentioned months back). Other than that, maybe just some new hardcore games for the system. I'm getting a little disappointed at the lack of big titles coming out, though I know it's to be expected with it being summer and all.

In Sony's camp, I'm curious about the future system models/bundles. I know they don't plan to drop the price but there's a lot of rumors regarding changed units and bundles, especially with the 80gb seeming like such a short term thing. Still really hopeful that they might push for PS2 BC on the 40gb through software (maybe even the PS2 downloads on PSN thing being true?). Basically I got converted and want a PS3 now, but PS2 BC is a dealbreaker for me, so anything regarding that is big news for myself.

Nothing in particular exciting me from MS... I know they just dropped the 360 prices. I don't know too much about new games coming out for it, though, so nothing hyping me up too much.

There's some games I wish were showing that aren't (Brutal Legend, FFXIII), but I guess we'll see them with time.

Vyk
07-14-2008, 02:17 AM
I want someone to tell me that Elveon is still in development

And they should resurrect that True Fantasy Live Online game xD

DMKA
07-14-2008, 02:45 AM
Duke Nukem Forever :D

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-14-2008, 05:50 AM
Hoping for a Zelda announcement for the Wii. :D *crosses fingers*

It'd be cool if there was an announcement about FF XIII but from a link I saw earlier (I think it was JKTrix who gave the link), Squeenix has no FF up its sleeve for E3, though maybe an announcement later in the year is possible?

Rase
07-14-2008, 06:49 AM
A Wii Star Fox that gets rid of on-foot levels and arena crap and just lets me fly straight and shoot things.

XxSephirothxX
07-14-2008, 06:51 AM
I want to know what Nintendo EAD and Bungie are working on. The less likely prospect of something from Team Ico is also exciting.

Shoeberto
07-14-2008, 06:52 AM
A Wii Star Fox that gets rid of on-foot levels and arena crap and just lets me fly straight and shoot things.
Also bring back the 64 voice actors.

Okay I know it'll never happen but I can wish :(

XxSephirothxX
07-14-2008, 07:05 AM
I am the great Leon!

Roto13
07-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Maybe Namco could reveal that PS3 Tales game they're so obviously working on.

Every year I cross my fingers and wish for Golden Sun 3 and every year I'm disappointed. xP I do the same thing for Viewtiful Joe 3.

Vyk
07-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Maybe Namco could reveal that PS3 Tales game they're so obviously working on.

Every year I cross my fingers and wish for Golden Sun 3 and every year I'm disappointed. xP I do the same thing for Viewtiful Joe 3.

Yeah what the heck happened? Years ago it was all but announced and going to be for GameCube. Then *pfft* nothing.. :(

Dreddz
07-14-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm eager to see God of War III's big unveiling, hopefully some gameplay can be shown. I'm also interested in seeing Twisted Metal PS3, Wipeout PS3, Madworld, Team Ico's new project and see what Sony's secret project is that floored critics a few months ago (I suspect its Heavy Rain). I'm also wondering what is going to be shown for the DS and PSP. Because the rest of the year looks barren for both handhelds.

I hope Nintendo are going to push Madworld and not another god-damn Zelda or anything, and please not another peripheral.

Microsoft will probably be the least interesting, the only thing I'd be interested in seeing is Dead Rising 2.

JKTrix
07-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Project H.A.M.M.E.R.

I think this one died back in September.

Microsoft, Nintendo & Sony will all be having their press conferences streamed live over the internet. I know Gamespot (http://e3.gamespot.com/live.html), IGN (http://livewire.ign.com/2008/e3/index.html) and G4TV.com (http://e3.g4tv.com/e32008/pressconferences/index.html) are guaranteed to be hosting these streams. G4 may be doing it live on TV as well. You can expect Gametrailers (http://www.gametrailers.com/e32k8.php) to have them downloadable shortly after they finish, and I know that the 1UP Show (http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3145462) will be having special episodes throughout the week that will probably condense the conferences and analyze them a bit.

Microsoft's is first at 1PM EST today. Nintendo is at 12 EST tomorrow and Sony is at 2:30 EST on the same day.

Square-Enix's conference is today as well, but I doubt there will be any streams of that.

What I would like to see:
Wii - Wii Music. Been hearing rumblings of Pikmin 3 and Animal Crossing on the Wii, so that would be alright. 'Kid' Icarus featuring and Adult Pit from Factor 5 was also part of those rumblings, but I don't really care 'bout that. I'd like to see more new stuff though, whether it's the next Wii Sports/Wii Fit kind of thing or something more 'core'. We also haven't seen anything from Nintendo themselves on 'WiiWare', so they could be planning some good stuff.
DS - I want Band Brothers to come out in English. I want Soma Bringer to come out in English. Generally, I want Nintendo to bring out more of their Japanese 1st party games that are neither 'Touch Generations' or titles we expect. I wouldn't complain about a New Super Mario Bros 2 though.

Sony has a good opportunity to make a really strong showing. If they only showed God of War 3 and a new FF13 trailer, I think they'd be able to skate by on just that. They already have Resistance and Killzone 2 coming which are supposed to be major releases. Don't know what more they can say about LittleBigPlanet. Would like to see info on Home becoming available, either a release or a more public beta. Not sure if I expect anything particularly 'new' from the hardware/1st party side of things.

Microsoft probably has to work a little harder than Nintendo and Sony. Wii has been riding high since it came out, and the PS3 is still on an upswing from MGS4's release. I suspect they have something fairly big in store though, as they've been pushing Gears of War 2 coverage over the past few weeks outside of E3. This leads me to assume that they have something else that they don't want to have Gears and 'this game' competing for attention at E3. A hunch says it's something Halo-related. It may or may not be from Bungie. Or it may and may not be from Bungie (meaning 2 Halo games). Hmm.

I have other small things I want to see from 3rd parties, but most of the focus is on the Big 3.

Yeah what the heck happened? Years ago it was all but announced and going to be for GameCube. Then *pfft* nothing.. :(

If you're talking about Golden Sun, Camelot recently finished a Golf game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Love_Golf!) which has been their focus for the last good while. We could be hearing something Camelot-related with Nintendo soon, if not at E3 then maybe in Tokyo.

Dreddz
07-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Camelot should announce another Shining Force game, not another Golden Sun. Geez....

Raebus
07-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Camelot should announce another Golden Sun game, not anything Shining Force related. Geez....

Vyk
07-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Camelot hasn't been doing Shining Force for two or so generations. So the last few Shining flops weren't their fault. Though I don't think Camelot is allowed to touch the Shining franchise since they split with Sega. Sega would have to lisence it back to them or something. Which they should

And didn't Camelot make a golf game or two for GameCube -before- the Golden Sun games? They need to give that crap up and focus on their RPG prowess :|

Dreddz
07-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Camelot hasn't been doing Shining Force for two or so generations. So the last few Shining flops weren't their fault. Though I don't think Camelot is allowed to touch the Shining franchise since they split with Sega.

That's exactly the reason they should obtain the rights to Shining Force again. Shining Force went from the pinnacle of strategy games to a load of bull once once Camelot left Sega. Considering Sega has given up on Shining Force series why not give it to Camelot. The reason no one is interested in Shining Force anymore is because it turned to crap, and Sega should realize that.

Vyk
07-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Sadly its just Sega's style. Hopefully BioWare can save Sonic :D But yeah, considering they lisenced Sonic to a company that's never had any relation to Sega. It shouldn't be too hard to imagine lisencing a different fanchise out to an old friend of the company

KentaRawr!
07-14-2008, 04:30 PM

Personally, I think that they should still have other gameplay modes, but this time, do them well.

XxSephirothxX
07-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Nintendo has made Camelot crank out an absolutely abysmal number of Mario sports games over the past ten years. They need to give that http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif a break.

KentaRawr!
07-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Nintendo has made Camelot crank out an absolutely abysmal number of Mario sports games over the past ten years. They need to give that http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif a break.

I totally agree. We currently have Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Soccer/Football, Mario Baseball, Mario Basketball, and Mario Kart. I like Mario Kart, but the rest can go away.

JKTrix
07-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Nintendo Announces Wii MotionPlus (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168696)

Nintendo's upcoming Wii MotionPlus accessory for the revolutionary Wii Remote controller again redefines game control, by more quickly and accurately reflecting motions in a 3-D space. The Wii MotionPlus accessory attaches to the end of the Wii Remote and, combined with the accelerometer and the sensor bar, allows for more comprehensive tracking of a player?s arm position and orientation, providing players with an unmatched level of precision and immersion. Every slight movement players make with their wrist or arm is rendered identically in real time on the screen, providing a true 1:1 response in their game play. The Wii MotionPlus accessory reconfirms Nintendo?s commitment to making games intuitive and accessible for everyone. Nintendo will reveal more details about the Wii MotionPlus accessory and other topics Tuesday morning at its E3 media briefing.

Well now... this is interesting. I've never had problems with the response time, though I to notice that it usually is about 1/4th of a second behind my actual action. Motion accuracy does pose problems at times when you have a game that does use it. I wonder if this add-on is universally compatible, rather than only for new games.

Also, Too Human demo is apparently online right now (Xbox).

XxSephirothxX
07-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Was just going to make a thread 'bout that, Trix. Looks like Nintendo's pre-empting whatever motion control biznass Sony and Microsoft plan to bring to the plate this week.

Yamaneko
07-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Playable RE5 would be nice.

Vyk
07-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Yeah I was just online on my Box and noticed that and thought holy crap finally. Must get. Since I was starting to lose interest in the game. Which is a pity for them considering how much time and effort they've put into it. Waiting for a friend to come over right now and we'll check it out together

JKTrix
07-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Yeah, that was rather crafty of 'em. Also, Nintendo doesn't release accessories without a game to go with them...

Should there be a temporary sub-forum (or sticky) for E-3? :P Maybe one for each company?

@Vyk: Too Human demo is not Co-op. So one of y'all will be spectating.

KentaRawr!
07-14-2008, 05:18 PM
It says it has 1:1 response there. I guess this means there will be more than just waggle and tilting? :p

XxSephirothxX
07-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah, that was rather crafty of 'em. Also, Nintendo doesn't release accessories without a game to go with them...

Should there be a temporary sub-forum (or sticky) for E-3? :P Maybe one for each company?

I'll make one for the Microsoft Press Conference, I suppose. One mega-discussion thread for all three companies would probably get a little messy.

Vyk
07-14-2008, 05:30 PM

Appreciate the heads-up. I hadn't really thought about milti-player though. I just wanted to enjoy it with someone else. Not necessarily as a team :] Maybe I'll get someone else interested in the game. I imagine they'll need all the buyers they can get after all these years. Lest it turn out to be another Shenmue scenario :/

Shoeberto
07-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Nintendo Announces Wii MotionPlus (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168696)
I hope that's their minor announcement and not what they planned on having be their big thing. The new features are underwhelming just because you know how few devs are going to put it to use. I'd hate to see the price point for it.

Roto13
07-14-2008, 05:48 PM
I doubt it's their big thing simply because they've already revealed it. :P

They need to start selling Wiimotes with nunchucks and those things for like $40. A Wiimote alone is basically two thirds of a controller. It'll be even less once that thing hits.

JKTrix
07-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Nintendo Announces Wii MotionPlus (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168696)The new features are underwhelming just because you know how few devs are going to put it to use.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me (Non-64 owner). The N64 had a RAM pak. Could you still play games without it? Did the RAM just make the games play better/properly? If that is the case, that is what I think this device will be like. Instead of being something entirely new that changes the functionality of the controller (like a rumble pak, for example), it enhances what's already there. I suppose we'll find out once the conference rolls around.

If this is what I think it is (a performance enhancer rather than added function), this could possibly be included in future revisions of the controller as a part of the remote itself. I don't see this being a device that will fragment Nintendo's games/gamers.

Yamaneko
07-14-2008, 05:59 PM
The RAM pack added functionality to games. As far as I can remember you could play Perfect Dark multiplayer without the RAM pack, but you couldn't play singleplayer.

Roto13
07-14-2008, 06:03 PM
The N64 Expansion Pak (as it was called) was required for certain games to run at all (Majora's Mask and Donkey Kong 64), was also required for certain parts of certain games (most of Perfect Dark's multiplayer mode and the entirety of it's single player mode), and just prettied up certain other games (Star Wars Rogue Squadron).

I can see this being standard for a lot of future games, much like the Expansion Pak. Especially if they package it with a big-name game, like they did with Donkey Kong 64.

Shoeberto
07-14-2008, 06:04 PM
The RAM pack was necessary for some games, but I never noticed a performance boost for games that didn't use it. Non-expansion games were designed to work within the original RAM limitations of the system and weren't going to take advantage of it.

So, like with that, games that weren't designed to work with full 3D movement aren't going to use it. And I don't think too many development teams are going to spend a lot of money on games made specifically for a non-standard dongle, unless Nintendo makes the price point particularly attractive.

Basically I think Nintendo is trying to keep up with the wrong things on this one. They're seeing others move forward with motion technology, and want to stay ahead of the game. But while Microsoft and Sony are playing catch-up to Nintendo on motion sensing, Nintendo should be playing catch-up to them with things like online play and storage.

It's too early to call, but this doesn't give me much hope as to where their mindset is for system expansion.

XxSephirothxX
07-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Kotaku is currently liveblogging the Square Enix Press conference. (http://kotaku.com/5025033/liveblogging-square-enix-press-conference)

Roto13
07-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey, that's what liveblogging is? That's pretty neat. xP

Vyk
07-14-2008, 09:08 PM
FF13 on 360?

No PS3 for me!

I bet it gets cancelled though

KentaRawr!
07-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Maybe we should have more E3 Discussion threads for the other 2 companies, and use this as a comparative discussion thread between the 3?

Roto13
07-14-2008, 09:45 PM
I was thinking that'll happen when the other press conferences start. :P

KentaRawr!
07-14-2008, 11:05 PM
I guess you're right. When do those start, anyway? o_o

Dreddz
07-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Tomorrow. Nintendo first then Sony. Both need to show some really impressive stuff to get back on track. Nintendo because the Wii has a lackluster line-up and Sony for an all too obvious reason.

Jessweeee♪
07-15-2008, 01:42 AM
Oh, it's just FFXIII, not the end of the world :spin:

Roto13
07-15-2008, 01:49 AM
Seriously. It probably won't even be all that good. :P

Dreddz
07-15-2008, 01:52 AM
Seriously. It probably will be great.

KentaRawr!
07-15-2008, 02:17 AM
To each their own, but make sure you make your own after it's released.

Vyk
07-15-2008, 02:22 AM
Too late for that

XxSephirothxX
07-15-2008, 04:50 PM
If anyone plans on making a thread concerning the Nintendo press conference etc., now's the time.

Roto13
07-15-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm on it. :P

EDIT: No I'm not.

Dreddz
07-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Azar is such a fanboy :p

Anyway, it show be live now shouldn't it? I bet another Zelda (groan...) and a new peripheral.

Roto13
07-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Nintendo is late, according to Kotaku's live blog. :P

E308: Nintendo E3 08 Press Conference Liveblog (http://www2.kotaku.com/5025295/nintendo-e3-08-press-conference-liveblog)

9:02
Brian Ashcraft - its a few minutes past 9......
9:03
McWhertor - Nintendo is officially late to the party
Leigh Alexander - They're just THAT cool. You've been waiting 90 minutes for them, they're like, "pff, let ''em wait a few more"
Leigh Alexander - Reggie is having his hair coiffed
Brian Ashcraft - their own party at that!
crecente - What's new, no one starts on time.
crecente - At least we have some generic techno to listen to
9:04
Leigh Alexander - Reggie is also having his nose powdered.
crecente - Thank GOD for generic techno
Leigh Alexander - Oonts. oonts. oonts oonts. Feel the Beat.
McWhertor - I'm going to issue an award to the most punctual console manufacturer next year.

XxSephirothxX
07-15-2008, 05:06 PM

Anyway, it show be live now shouldn't it? I bet another Zelda (groan...) and a new peripheral.
The hell I am.

Right now all they're doing is playing techno.

KentaRawr!
07-15-2008, 07:18 PM

I wish you'd been right about the new Zelda.

Roto13
07-15-2008, 07:20 PM
I think the Sony conference starts in ten minutes. Someone make a thread about it. I'm not doing it.

Vyk
07-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Obviously we have plenty of fans about for that ;P

This will probably be the most interesting one. The others we could have guessed a lot about beforehand and been mostly right. PS3 I have no clue what they have on the horizon. Hopefully it quells the storms about though

Dreddz
07-15-2008, 07:25 PM

I wish you'd been right about the new Zelda.

Yeah, after watching that conference I wish I was as well.

And somebody listen to Roto13 and make a new thread for the Sony conference. I'm lazy.

Shoeberto
07-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Hopefully Ubisoft's Wii support will start to extend beyond Raving Rabids games... maybe Red Steel 2? They've at least had time to improve on the original.

Really can't wait to hear some news about The Conduit, especially since they said they wanted voice support in the game and were quoted as saying that they're working on it.

Something that probably doesn't appeal to anyone but me is the possibility of Valve announcing Source and Steam being ported to Linux... rumors have been flying around for a while, with some evidence to support it, so I'm hopeful that there might be a chance of them bringing it out now.

Shoeberto
07-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Ubisoft's press conference:
- Girl games (Petz, ener-G sports games)
- Another Raving Rabids game
- Shaun White Snowboarding
- Far Cry 2
- Prince of Persia
- Preview of "I Am Alive"

Not too much we haven't seen already (or didn't really want to see at all... yay Petz?)

KentaRawr!
07-16-2008, 01:09 AM
It seems like this E3 has loads of shooters. o_o

Dreddz
07-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Well its predominately American game companies showing off their games at this event so your bound to see a lot of shooters.

KentaRawr!
07-16-2008, 01:32 AM
Just so you guys know, Capcom's press conference was ENTIRELY about the Lost Planet movie. ENTIRELY. Nothing else.

Vyk
07-16-2008, 01:39 AM
o_O Nothing up Capcom's sleeve? :(

KentaRawr!
07-16-2008, 01:47 AM
Not much, just Lost Planet. They have Street Fighter 4 on the floor, though, as a playable demo. But their press conference was ENTIRELY Lost Planet movie.

Vyk
07-16-2008, 01:51 AM
Nice. Sounds like I might be missing Capcom soon. If they're lisencing out movies and rehashing old games again. Not a problem in itself. But if that's -all- they're doing. They must be on the ropes. Again

XxSephirothxX
07-17-2008, 07:43 PM
A KOTOR MMO was just confirmed (http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/17/porfolio-com-lucasarts-and-bioware-building-kotor-mmo/). Woo.

Shoeberto
07-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Huh... that's funny, just the other day there was a press conference where a guy was asked about that, and he had to look nervously at his boss before answering with a "no comment" type response. Good to know it's confirmed. I'll put money down that it'll do better than SWG.

Vyk
07-17-2008, 10:14 PM
That doesn't say what they're building it for. I hope its more than just PC. Or even the first non-PC MMO *Gasp* (Not likely lol..)