PDA

View Full Version : missing display properties

Namelessfengir
07-14-2008, 03:15 AM
okay so tonight i got virused by way of false activex control. and now my background tab is missing from the display properties. and when the computer starts up my wallpaper changes to a blue and yellow image saying i have spyware and i should install a cleaner. i had one, i ran it, and it cleaned it out.

is there a hot fix i can download to restore the background section of display properties?

if you know it could you provide a link

thanks

Samuraid
07-14-2008, 05:28 AM
If you know the name of the spyware program that was installed, you could search for it specifically and see if anyone lists a specific way to fix the damage it causes.

crono_logical
07-14-2008, 08:47 AM
I would recommend reinstalling Windows - 1 hour of that is much quicker and easier than the effort it takes to remove most spyware these days :D Then stop using Internet Explorer and switch to something like Opera or Firefox if you want to avoid something like that happening again :p

Lawr
07-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Something like that happened to me a long time ago. (The whole, Desktop Background disappearing.)

It was a hassle but you have to find the files in your C: Drive and delete them. If you Restart your computer, then the files come back so you have to look for like a .exe that's hidden somewhere and it was tiresome. I recommend doing what Samuraid or c_lout said.

Namelessfengir
07-14-2008, 08:54 PM
i can really reinstall because im running sp2 but my cd is sp1 and im on dial up so i cant reupdate them.

could i go from sp1 straight to sp3?

could i search for the exe by using the ''date modified" filter?

avast finds it but cant kill it

crono_logical
07-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Yes you can go straight from SP1 to SP3 :p

Chances are if antivirus can't kill it, neither will you unless you want to go into Safe Mode :p

Namelessfengir
07-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Yes you can go straight from SP1 to SP3 :p

Chances are if antivirus can't kill it, neither will you unless you want to go into Safe Mode :p

my safe modes broke any time i try to get in any version of safemode the computer restarts as soon as i select an account.

i have dariks boot and nuke should i use that after i back up the irreplaceable files?

Lawr
07-15-2008, 01:25 AM
You should set a System Restore point if Safe Mode doesn't work and try to locate and manually delete the files if you really want to save your computer's data.

i have dariks boot and nuke should i use that after i back up the irreplaceable files?

I don't know what these are, but it's probably less risky then what I said.

Namelessfengir
07-15-2008, 03:16 AM
You should set a System Restore point if Safe Mode doesn't work and try to locate and manually delete the files if you really want to save your computer's data.

I don't know what these are, but it's probably less risky then what I said.

its a program that when loaded formats the living hell out of your harddrive