PDA

View Full Version : Ragnarok Online

Jojee
07-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Well why not~ haven't had one of these topics in a while. ^_^

This is like, the only game that I keep going back to time and time again. It's a cutesy MMORPG from years and years and years and years and years back, but it's still going strong!

I'm on Atlantis RO (http://www.atlantis-ro.net/), which is a spanish server, as well as eternityRO.

Who plays and where? Want to start? ;)

Momiji
07-14-2008, 04:01 PM
I've been wanting to play again, because I used to adore this game. I always liked to use the magic classes!

Vyk
07-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Never tried it. And then it started costing moneys

Randgris
07-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Well, I used to play on a pay-to-play server, until I got myself hacked. :eep:

I'll play my old account again once I get a JOB.

My character was a FS Priest. I'd probably make a Bard/Minstrel.

Duh my avatar is pure Ragnarok... MVP Randgris anyone?

Jojee
07-14-2008, 04:22 PM
That's why you play on private servers, Vyk~ They're free. ^_^

Oh yeah Randgris, haha. :</>D

Krelian
07-14-2008, 04:46 PM
I loved this game. The only MMORPG I've ever really played for a long time. I adore its graphics, too <3

I used to play the open beta with some friends. After it cost money I switched to a private server, most of the players there were German. Unfortunately that server, through circumstances I never fully knew, became euRO, that is, the official European RO server D: I had the option to continue playing with my account and items and all, but I wasn't willing to pay money for it. Thus ended my RO experience...

Momiji
07-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Jojee, if you can name a server that doesn't have painfully low or high rates and no donation items/broken classes, I am so in.

Also, Alchemists were fun too.

Randgris
07-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Well I played on FrostRO (Bleach inspired, player-kill server, once you reach level 1000, start running around) and HititRO (boring RO)

I don't want to mess around with Randgris. She makes clones of herself.

Oh and uh Alchemists are nice, unless opponent has Pneuma. Ninjas with High HP are nice. Just freeze and final strike. Also cool jobs are assasinX and monks, (unless the max hP is above 9999, monks, alches and ninjas are worthless)

In Frost RO, alchemists are useless, max damage is 999,999 per hit with normal strike, Acid Bombs do around 188,889 dmg so good do the maths. Max HP of each char is around 14million. Max Stat is 2500.

escobert
07-14-2008, 08:49 PM
If I cba I might play again :p

sir helix
07-14-2008, 08:54 PM
i play on anthem RO, im an ass kicking monk named Perverted_monk

Jojee
07-14-2008, 09:23 PM
I've never played a high rate, don't really see the point. I always stick with low or relatively low rates. ^_^

Jojee, if you can name a server that doesn't have painfully low or high rates and no donation items/broken classes, I am so in.

Also, Alchemists were fun too. AtlantisRO that I linked also is and that's 5/5/5, if you don't mind the Spanish - I do have a character there. xD

Momiji
07-14-2008, 09:34 PM
At AtlantisRO, are the GMs nice, or are they lying scumbags that need to DIAF like the ones in the finally-down server AnimaRO, where I spent 90% of 2006?

Jojee
07-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Oh animaRO sounded terrible, all their donation items -_- Atlantis does have statted donation items, but I don't think they influence the economy too much. eternity doesn't have any statted donation items.

I really have no experience with the GMs in atlantis, because they all speak only Spanish and I really don't know wtf is going on there half the time xD I play there because a few friends of mine play there, and after I built up a decent amount of gears and levels I just couldn't be arsed to leave and start over. It's also a very stable server - been up 2+ years with no wipe, which really attracts me because you dunno the number of times the server I've been on wiped and I had to start over.

Momiji
07-14-2008, 10:19 PM
We should all pick a server that everyone interested from EoFF should join. That way, we can make a super-awesome guild and slaughter every one else during WoE. :kaohappy:

Jojee
07-15-2008, 01:34 AM
Well if everyone from EoFF doesn't mind learning some Espanol, I'd recommend atlantisRO then. ;) Because I changed my mind. SOME of the GMs are eternity are nice; others are assholes, and I'm thinking of quitting the position because I'm not appreciated at all for what I do there. ^_^ Plus if you guys go to atlantis, I can help you out a bit. :3

Tasura
07-15-2008, 05:00 AM
I've played on about a dozen different private servers, the one I played the most on is qRO, but if you don't sign in every 45 days they wipe your account, kinda makes me sad. After playing on a high rate server, I could probably never go back to low rate.

Proxy
07-15-2008, 07:24 AM
This MMO is never going to go away, they tried replacing it with RO2, and i have heard NOTHING about it since the beta.
RO is the greatest MMO ever made...I don't have a computer to play it on, but if i did, i'd be playing rather than posting!
I love super high rates, or mid-low rates...so long as the drop rate is pretty good.

Bahamut2000X
07-15-2008, 04:53 PM
I played back in the official beta, but with a bad computer I could hardly run it. By the time I had anything decent spec wise, it was pay to play. So I joined some free private servers for a bit. It was rather boring since I had no friends to play with and the servers were made way too easy.

Despite being easy and at like 3X (or maybe it was 4X) exp rates I still couldn't get exp worth crap. I shudder to think what it's like on normal servers.

Randgris
07-15-2008, 05:01 PM
I played back in the official beta, but with a bad computer I could hardly run it. By the time I had anything decent spec wise, it was pay to play. So I joined some free private servers for a bit. It was rather boring since I had no friends to play with and the servers were made way too easy.

Despite being easy and at like 3X (or maybe it was 4X) exp rates I still couldn't get exp worth crap. I shudder to think what it's like on normal servers.

Crappy. Take the cards for example. All cards have a drop rate of 0.01%... X3 and X4? That's low. The last time I played Unofficial RO, the EXP rates were like 1000x (well the Base level is max 5000 anyways)

Momiji
07-15-2008, 05:06 PM

Crappy. Take the cards for example. All cards have a drop rate of 0.01%... X3 and X4? That's low. The last time I played Unofficial RO, the EXP rates were like 1000x (well the Base level is max 5000 anyways)

Yeah, a nice medium is good though. Nothing too low, nothing too high.

EDIT: HAHAHA, someone changed 'bespoken' in quotes to 'bemoaned'. :p

Markus. D
07-16-2008, 03:50 AM
One of the best mmorpgs ever, solid gameplay, interesting artstyle, eye exploding skill animation and lots of satisfying numbers.

Tasura
07-16-2008, 05:24 AM
This MMO is never going to go away, they tried replacing it with RO2, and i have heard NOTHING about it since the beta.
RO is the greatest MMO ever made...I don't have a computer to play it on, but if i did, i'd be playing rather than posting!
I love super high rates, or mid-low rates...so long as the drop rate is pretty good.

Thank you, finally someone who enjoys extreme high rates like I do.

Momiji
07-16-2008, 05:26 AM

Thank you, finally someone who enjoys extreme high rates like I do.

It's not that extreme high rates are bad really, it's just that you level up so fast the part of the game you spend the most time doing is gone.

Tasura
07-16-2008, 06:13 AM
Not me, I spend most of my time hunting gear/items. I tend to have an Alchemist, a SinX, an HW, and an HP. The HW goes and blasts mobs when I'm bored, the HP goes through dungeons and randomly buffs people, the alchemist makes/sells things, and the SinX is my main character. I hunt stuff with the SinX to sell on my Alchemist, and ingredients. So, I just hunt stuff, after I get around level 200.

Jojee
07-16-2008, 06:26 AM
Low rates are more satisfying after you get a good character :mog:

Someone come play with me in AtlantisRO! Please~ It's so tiring attempting to speak Spanish all the time. xD

Tasura
07-16-2008, 06:59 AM
I blame you all for me downloading RO again. I blame you so hard. I'm probably going to play on Scythe RO, since the rates are 20k/20k/500

Markus. D
07-16-2008, 07:17 AM
I like mid-rates.... you don't miss alot of places yet you're not stuck in one place for eons =]

Captain Maxx Power
07-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Ragnarok always felt like a bad knock-off of Diablo to me. Beside the fact it's no where near as fun to actually play, it's an absolute grindfest even on 10*Exp 10*Drop servers. To me there's no point playing any MMOG where you have to spend days doing nothing but killing a handful of monsters in one area in order to advance just to kill a handful of different monsters in a different area. The fact there's no real quests to undertake, zero variety and little in the way of true content really turns me off.

Short answer: I don't like Ragnarok Online.

Randgris
07-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Ragnarok always felt like a bad knock-off of Diablo to me. Beside the fact it's no where near as fun to actually play, it's an absolute grindfest even on 10*Exp 10*Drop servers. To me there's no point playing any MMOG where you have to spend days doing nothing but killing a handful of monsters in one area in order to advance just to kill a handful of different monsters in a different area. The fact there's no real quests to undertake, zero variety and little in the way of true content really turns me off.

The killing monsters in one area then kill other monsters in another area is boring. Why would you do that? Why not hunt instead?

The one thing I loved about RO (any RO) is the PVP and WoE's... Other thing is the overups... OMG a +10 Set! :eek:

Momiji
07-16-2008, 06:28 PM

The killing monsters in one area then kill other monsters in another area is boring. Why would you do that? Why not hunt instead?

The one thing I loved about RO (any RO) is the PVP and WoE's... Other thing is the overups... OMG a +10 Set! :eek:

PvP is the best part of RO if you ask me. Nothing's more fun than using a Frost Diver + Jupiter Thunder* combo on an unsuspecting melee fighter. :D

*For those who don't understand what that means, Frost Diver is a mage's spell for freezing an opponent, so they cannot move. A side effect of that is that because of being encased in ice, they become water-elemental, where a wind-elemental attack like the wizard's Jupiter Thunder will do double damage. Jupiter Thunder hits multiple times and pushes the opponent back, but the catch is that it takes a while to cast. It doesn't matter if they're frozen though, because they can't move! And since Jupiter Thunder will likely do WELL over the opponent's HP in damage when used in an elemental advantage, it's a death sentence for most players, as long as they aren't a ridiculously high level or aren't loaded with buffs. :p

Randgris
07-16-2008, 06:35 PM

PvP is the best part of RO if you ask me. Nothing's more fun than using a Frost Diver + Jupiter Thunder* combo on an unsuspecting melee fighter. :D

*For those who don't understand what that means, Frost Diver is a mage's spell for freezing an opponent, so they cannot move. A side effect of that is that because of being encased in ice, they become water-elemental, where a wind-elemental attack like the wizard's Jupiter Thunder will do double damage. Jupiter Thunder hits multiple times and pushes the opponent back, but the catch is that it takes a while to cast. It doesn't matter if they're frozen though, because they can't move! :p

Another combo, Proffesor: Stone Curse + Firebolt (Double Cast) = *insert dead jobclass here*

*Same with FD+JT combo, Stone curse turns target to Earth Property. Fire does 150% damage against Earth.

Oh and High HP ninja's can take out Full Vit Knights in one hit. Just freeze (forgot the name of skill) and use Final Strike. Kapow! Like Asura Strike, but goes through GR Card.

*GR or Ghostring card reduces normal damage (AsuraStrike/ExtremetyFist) into 4 digits or less.

OMG! I miss RO! :cry:

I'm gonna play on Philippine RO sometime in November... I can't wait! :love::love::love:

I miss my old guild... :(

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-16-2008, 06:35 PM
I <3 SinX. The only thing is they can be a bitch to level sometimes when your Hit is high but you do not have a high Atk yet. -__-; I am tempted to play more RO but I wants to play some more P3:FES and plus I do not speak Spanish. :(

High rates get boring after a while but then so do Low rates. :( RO is mostly fun because you can meet cool people. I miss the small server I used to go to, though it is probably big now.

Momiji
07-16-2008, 06:44 PM

*For those who don't understand what that means, Frost Diver is a mage's spell for freezing an opponent, so they cannot move. A side effect of that is that because of being encased in ice, they become water-elemental, where a wind-elemental attack like the wizard's Jupiter Thunder will do double damage. Jupiter Thunder hits multiple times and pushes the opponent back, but the catch is that it takes a while to cast. It doesn't matter if they're frozen though, because they can't move! :p

Another combo, Proffesor: Stone Curse + Firebolt (Double Cast) = *insert dead jobclass here*

*Same with FD+JT combo, Stone curse turns target to Earth Property. Fire does 150% damage against Earth.

Oh and High HP ninja's can take out Full Vit Knights in one hit. Just freeze (forgot the name of skill) and use Final Strike. Kapow! Like Asura Strike, but goes through GR Card.

*GR or Ghostring card reduces normal damage (AsuraStrike/ExtremetyFist) into 4 digits or less.

I'm gonna play on Philippine RO sometime in November... I can't wait! :love::love::love:

Yeah, I know about the SC+FB combo, but it's less effective (or less financially sound) than FD+JT because it costs a Red Gemstone as a catalyst.

Another favorite is a team trick-- have a friend who is a bard use Frost Joke (freezes everyone in the surrounding area), then cast Lord of Vermilion. It's the same deal as FD+JT, but on a much larger scale due to LoV's ridiculous AoE range.

However, the ultimate combo that comes to mind is one I used to do with a friend in PvP-- he was a sage, so I gave him some gemstones to cast Deluge (which makes the area around you turn to water) and then I cast Water Ball*. For those who have seen the wrath that is Water Ball, you'll know that we were able to even take Transcendant players out with it.

*Another note for those who don't know: Water Ball is a single target, multi hitting spell that can only be cast in water. It fires one ball of water per square of water around you, up to a 5x5 area (that's 24 hits, if I remember right, since you're standing in one of the squares). It's the strongest single-target spell in Ragnarok Online, unless new spells have been added since I quit playing.

Jojee
07-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Maxx, the difference is Ragnarok is CUTE while Diablo is ugly! :p

All of you who started playing RO and went to high/mid rates, I h8 you so :cry: Low rates are where it's at!

Momiji
07-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Maxx, the difference is Ragnarok is CUTE while Diablo is ugly! :p

All of you who started playing RO and went to high/mid rates, I h8 you so :cry: Low rates are where it's at!

Low rates are the best overall, but just too slow for casual gaming.

That being said, I'll probably join the server Joy mentioned, eventually. I need to get a mouse first. MMOs are hard to play on a touchpad.

EDIT: And yeah, the cuteness. :heart:

Carl the Llama
07-17-2008, 03:04 AM
Damn you People! you forced me to start playing this game AGAIN! arg lol im going to a high rate realm:

# Rates: 5000x/9000x/100%/10%
# Server time: -5 GMT (Eastern Standard Time)
# Max level: 500 base/120 job, max stats: 400, max attack speed: 197

They also have a WoE time table:

* Sunday: Payon Castle 09:00 - 10:00 -5 GMT (Server @time)
* Tuesday: Geffen Castle 15:00 - 16:00 -5 GMT (Server @time)
* Thursday: Aldebaran Castle 21:00 - 22:00 -5 GMT (Server @time)
* Saturday: Prontera Castle 03:00 - 04:00 -5 GMT (Server @time)

They also have an Anti Botter/Hacker system.

Interested? the server your looking for is called BlackoutRO and I will be a SinX lol (love the att spd)

Randgris
07-17-2008, 05:56 PM

Yeah, I know about the SC+FB combo, but it's less effective (or less financially sound) than FD+JT because it costs a Red Gemstone as a catalyst.

Another favorite is a team trick-- have a friend who is a bard use Frost Joke (freezes everyone in the surrounding area), then cast Lord of Vermilion. It's the same deal as FD+JT, but on a much larger scale due to LoV's ridiculous AoE range.

However, the ultimate combo that comes to mind is one I used to do with a friend in PvP-- he was a sage, so I gave him some gemstones to cast Deluge (which makes the area around you turn to water) and then I cast Water Ball*. For those who have seen the wrath that is Water Ball, you'll know that we were able to even take Transcendant players out with it.

*Another note for those who don't know: Water Ball is a single target, multi hitting spell that can only be cast in water. It fires one ball of water per square of water around you, up to a 5x5 area (that's 24 hits, if I remember right, since you're standing in one of the squares). It's the strongest single-target spell in Ragnarok Online, unless new spells have been added since I quit playing.

Only another sage can lessen the damage of water ball. FD+JT can be avoided, equip Marc card armor (Unfrozen). No one equips Munak Card or Argos cards in their shield (Anti-Stone).

The strongest skill I know in Ragnarok is the Tarot Card by Gypsy/Minstrel. Though it is random, it can kill a single person in PvP in one click.

Ragnarok is very different now. Very, very exciting, but could get boring and frustrating if you don't have the proper equips.